Were you ever a good runner?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I made a decision in my late 20s that I wasn't going to allow myself to slob into a fat middle aged bloke. Since then I've exercised everyday and I don't eat a lot of crap food. That's not to say I don't eat crap food, far from it, but my mainstay food is fresh cooked good stuff. And I don't over eat, not really.

As a consequence, my weight now (at age 47) is what it was at 25, and seemingly constant. I weigh myself everyday, same time of day, and keep an eye on it. NOt over the top obsessed, but just watchful. These things creep up on you, and all of a sudden you are carrying an extra stone. Its easy enough to manage, wihout being mental about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Snap said:
    I made a decision in my late 20s that I wasn't going to allow myself to slob into a fat middle aged bloke. Since then I've exercised everyday and I don't eat a lot of crap food. That's not to say I don't eat crap food, far from it, but my mainstay food is fresh cooked good stuff. And I don't over eat, not really.

As a consequence, my weight now (at age 47) is what it was at 25, and seemingly constant. I weigh myself everyday, same time of day, and keep an eye on it. NOt over the top obsessed, but just watchful. These things creep up on you, and all of a sudden you are carrying an extra stone. Its easy enough to manage, wihout being mental about it.
    Well there you go. I'm hardly overweight by today's standards, but aged 25 I was 10.5 stone and now I'm 12. I have been 13 though. I doubt I will ever get down to 10.5 stone again until my muscle mass starts to vanish in old age, but I would like to be 11 or slightly under.

I agree, a stone went on almost without me even noticing.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26593
    I've never really paid much attention to weight as an indicator. As an example, I'm 5'7" and 14.5 stone...and unfit as hell. When I was 19, I was also 14.5 stone and fit as you like. My weight's never changed, but my proportion of body fat (and my waistline) has increased rather a lot.
    <space for hire>
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879
    I've never really paid much attention to weight as an indicator. As an example, I'm 5'7" and 14.5 stone...and unfit as hell. When I was 19, I was also 14.5 stone and fit as you like. My weight's never changed, but my proportion of body fat (and my waistline) has increased rather a lot.

Blimey, you must have been packing a lot of muscle to be 14.5 stone at 5'7"!

I'm 5'6" and I've never been anywhere near that weight - I got close to 13 stone when I was a fat bastard, now I'm nine and a half.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26593
    edited August 2016
    Philly_Q said:

Blimey, you must have been packing a lot of muscle to be 14.5 stone at 5'7"!

I'm 5'6" and I've never been anywhere near that weight - I got close to 13 stone when I was a fat bastard, now I'm nine and a half.

I wasn't the smallest of people, no...cycle racing and playing rugby had a fair bit to do with that. A significant amount of that weight was in my legs; I still can't wear normal-sized jeans, because pairs that are baggy on 90% of the population are almost skin-tight on me...and that's after 20 years of doing fuck-all.

EDIT: For reference, when I was 19 and that weight, I had a 27" waist. I now have a 36" waist, same weight; pretty easy to see what happened ;)
    <space for hire>
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Running tip - when your calf starts twinging, don't think fuck it, and carry on. 

Luckily I was just round the corner from home, but wow, it really hurts now!

I won't be going running for a bit. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to