Were you ever a good runner?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22875
    axisus said:
    Fascinating. I have no actual clue what a doosra is though?
    Ahhhh. So uttering phrases like 'Bowling Saqqy bhai, bowling' in a Moin Khan-style flood won't help matters at all? :D
    It sounds like a novelty summer hit single with its own dance routine.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Yes. have let it go a bit recently though. I'm cautious of age and joint wear really. Now that is a hard thing to admit, being a middle aged bloke in age denial!!

One of the biggest things to pay attention to, when getting back into running (especially if yoiu are a bit older) is having a decent pair of trainers. What knackers up a lot of people, returning to running, is that they use old shoes and this buggers them up straight away. Shin splints, back ache, poor stride etc etc.

Having said that, its quite a committment shelling out 60 or 70 quid plus before you start again. A bit catch 22
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26592
    edited August 2016
    Snap said:

Having said that, its quite a committment shelling out 60 or 70 quid plus before you start again. A bit catch 22
    Given that most of us have spent more than that on cables, I don't think it should be considered that much of a commitment ;)

I'm anticipating getting back into it in a few months' time, now that I've stopped smoking. I don't hold out any hope of even getting close to my old times, but it'd be quite nice to get to about 2:20 in the 800m. I'd consider that a win, after 20 years of cigs.
    <space for hire>
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    axisus said:

I used to cover 10 miles in less than an hour (best time 57.34)
    Seriously, wow that's fast. I'm just building up to 10 and hoping to do it an about an hour. Only difference is that for me it's 10km not miles!

Big respect for that time. 
    Snap said:

Given that most of us have spent more than that on cables, I don't think it should be considered that much of a commitment ;)

I'm anticipating getting back into it in a few months' time, now that I've stopped smoking. I don't hold out any hope of even getting close to my old times, but it'd be quite nice to get to about 2:20 in the 800m. I'd consider that a win, after 20 years of cigs.
    great stuff, good luck with it. Get yourself some Adidas Samba, lmao!
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Snap said:
    Yes. have let it go a bit recently though. I'm cautious of age and joint wear really. Now that is a hard thing to admit, being a middle aged bloke in age denial!!

One of the biggest things to pay attention to, when getting back into running (especially if yoiu are a bit older) is having a decent pair of trainers. What knackers up a lot of people, returning to running, is that they use old shoes and this buggers them up straight away. Shin splints, back ache, poor stride etc etc.

That's what used to boil my blood, trainers. Everyone used to wear daps, basically old style tennis shoes, green flash etc. Then shoe manufacturers brought out cushioned shoes where the foam it seems only lasts 800 miles max, because suddenly that's what they decided you need. Then they realised that over-pronation in their cushioned shoes causes problems for the majority of people, so now the soles are dual-density and all sorts of guff which they want you to pay for.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6492
    edited August 2016
    Did a half marathon in 1:06:58.  EDIT - I MEAN 2:06:58...At the time i was running regularly and very fit, thin as a rake.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of keeping up pace with my mate for the first 9.5 miles - and he was a much stronger runner. Last few miles nearly killed me....put me off running after that.

I am now fat and massively unfit

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Did a half marathon in 1:06:58....At the time i was running regularly and very fit, thin as a rake.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of keeping up pace with my mate for the first 9.5 miles - and he was a much stronger runner. Last few miles nearly killed me....put me off running after that.

I am now fat and massively unfit :(
    Would you consider going back to it?
    Snap said:

That's what used to boil my blood, trainers. Everyone used to wear daps, basically old style tennis shoes, green flash etc. Then shoe manufacturers brought out cushioned shoes where the foam it seems only lasts 800 miles max, because suddenly that's what they decided you need. Then they realised that over-pronation in their cushioned shoes causes problems for the majority of people, so now the soles are dual-density and all sorts of guff which they want you to pay for.
    As shoe tech has improved, so has runner performance and health. Speaking personally, the difference when using a proper trainer, that suits my gait, is like light and day. Learned that from bitter experience. WHen I started proper running, tens of miles, I was using crappy trainers and got a lot of problems. All went once I got some proper runners.
  • octatonic said:
    Did a half marathon in 1:06:58....At the time i was running regularly and very fit, thin as a rake.

I am now fat and massively unfit :(
    Would you consider going back to it?
    I HAVE to get back to it, I am seriously worried about my long-term health if I don't.

My circumstances have changed considerably since then, making it trickier to devote the time to it. My then wife worked a lot of evenings in a pub so I had a lot of spare time to get out running, nowadays I gig most weekends and have a young daughter and a partner who only ever sees me weekday nights, but....Yes, I must.

To add insult to injury, my older brother, who was never interested in running whatsoever, has since become totally addicted to it and has run several half-marathons and fun runs and is running great times...just makes me feel even more guilty for letting it slide.

Snap said:
    Snap said:

As shoe tech has improved, so has runner performance and health. Speaking personally, the difference when using a proper trainer, that suits my gait, is like light and day. Learned that from bitter experience. WHen I started proper running, tens of miles, I was using crappy trainers and got a lot of problems. All went once I got some proper runners.
    I guess, but the only reason that you need a suitable trainer is because you have an inch of foam under your feet. Take that away and you won't over-pronate quite so much. I agree, I used a neutral trainer for a while and it was very bad for my knees. Now, my running sandals provide about 4mm of vibram sole rubber between me and the street. Performance improved because people could run faster before their body really allowed - saved from injury by the marshmallows on their feet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I have Merrell barefoot style trainers, they really do make you sure to use proper form. It's harder for a beginner runner because it's more tiring, but worth it in long run. I used to have some xero shoes, but one of the holes broke. I did look a bit dumb in them too, but the new design has me intrigued
    My V key is broken
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    I did train for hard for the Devizes/Westminster canoe race years ago - I could basically run for miles without getting tired.

I'm a lot older and fatter now.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    holnrew said:
    I have Merrell barefoot style trainers, they really do make you sure to use proper form. It's harder for a beginner runner because it's more tiring, but worth it in long run. I used to have some xero shoes, but one of the holes broke. I did look a bit dumb in them too, but the new design has me intrigued
    The xero shoes with a silicon toe-post are great, very comfy. I had a pair of the Amuri Venture with the old fiddly tightening system at the heel, and one of the side holes broke in those. Now I have a pair of Amuri Cloud with the new tightening system, however I get some rubbing on my big toe from the transition between the foam footbed and the sole rubber. I think my next pair will be the Venture.

I guess it can be more tiring, what strikes me is the efficiency though. Once I get going I get into a rhythm and that's me set. the closer to barefoot you get, the more energy you get back from the running surface.

I keep on meaning to record the miles in the Xero Shoes. My Venture were just about to wear through at the ball of the foot, after less than 2000 miles. The company guarantee them for 5000, so if I had a mind to I could keep myself in running sandals ad infinitum for the price of an occasional admin fee.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2803
    I used to be quite good at middle distance and ran 1.58.4 (800m) and 4.07 (1500m) at Under 17.  I was always better at longer distances though (8-10 miles) but don't know what any of my times were - I used to just wait for a couple of minutes for the second person to come in.  

Gave up after leaving school and preferred partying but got back into a bit of cross-country a few years ago.  I haven't done anything for a couple of years now and feel constantly guilty.  I want to get to a position where I just jog and I'm happy.  The problem with being a competitive runner is that you're always trying to improve on yourself and I'm just tired of all that.  I used to have dreams that I was running in slow motion and other people were beating me......the anxieties of being a competitive runner!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    edited August 2016
    Did a half marathon in 1:06:58...
    I think you must have either the distance or time wrong there. That is only 9 minutes outside the current world record! Mo farah was only 7 minutes faster this year! Or are you an international athlete?!?
    There are club runners who can do that sort of time. It's very impressive but not unheard of.
  • axisus said:
    Did a half marathon in 1:06:58...
    I think you must have either the distance or time wrong there. That is only 9 minutes outside the current world record! Mo farah was only 7 minutes faster this year! Or are you an international athlete?!?
    HAHAHA Oh yes...oops, that was meant to be 2:06:58. Will edit my original post.....

My uncle is the over 70 british record holder for the 3 Peaks, amazing athlete. The long distance runner build is in the genes I suppose, lean and that. All this talk is making me want to go running!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Snap said:
    My uncle is the over 70 british record holder for the 3 Peaks, amazing athlete. The long distance runner build is in the genes I suppose, lean and that. All this talk is making me want to go running!
    The genes are in more of us than we would care to admit though, we're generally not active enough or expert procrastinators and live in a society where even the skinniest of us eat and drink too much shite.

I met an old guy out on a walk one lunchtime who explained he ran for Wales in the Empire Games. He explained that he used to run from Newport, up Twmbarlwm mountain, across the Gwent ridge and home again. All barefoot. I have no idea how many miles that is, but it's got to be 10-15 I guess. I assume painful broken up tarmac wasn't a thing back in his day!

I keep on meaning to get a bit more committed to eating less shite. I'm only 12 stone but there's only one way I'm going if I don't do something. Running, and increased physical activity in general, in one part of the equation.