Crimson Guitar - Stunning-Stains feedback?

What's Hot
Hey guys

Anyone got any feedback on Crimson Guitar - Stunning-Stains ?

I quite fancy the Orange stain they do for use on my current super-tele build (flamed ash/idigbo body) as it seem to be a close match for the Awesome Orange finish of my Laguna LE924 (old greg howe sig) which i love.

Id be using it under a brushed Rustin's plastic coat finish (don't want to wait 6 months for a rattle can clear to cure) and Ive read elsewhere that there should be no issue with using water based dye's like the Stunning-Stains under the rustiin's ?

Cheers
Gizmo

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16687
    edited September 2016
    I cant speak for the Crimson stains because I have not tried them yet

but i got a great orange on swamp ash  with  water based stain from liberon - this was finshed with EZE-oil on top

however, I would go for a spirit based stain if you are using RPC, because then you can mix some in to tint the lacquer too.

I used to use RPC a lot and it mixes brilliantly with chestnut spirit stains, which also work well applied directly to the wood
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I beloeve @TTony used the Denim Blue on one of his builds, with great results....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27572
    paulnb57 said:
    TTony used the Denim Blue on one of his builds

:)

That's Crimson's faded denim stain, with EZEOil over the top.

Worked really rather easily & well, and produced a far better finish than I'd expected.

Have used since, with similarly satisfying results, and will certainly use the product again, not least because I've got bottles of another 3 colours on the shelf!

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    Hey All

Many thanks for the reply's and feedback :) Been checking out a few yt videos and reviews of the stains online and can't see anyone with anything negative to say. Just can't decide between the orange,green or yellow ;)

Nice job on the faded denim stain there @TTony ; i'll be keeping that one in mind for a future build

Thanks for the Advice on the RPC and the chestnut spirit stains @WezV ,Love that single HB floyd and orange finish on that SS

But dam Chestnut must have the worst website ive ever seen for a product,they don't even have a colour charts !
    again i'll keep them in mind for future finishes :)

Once i get chance i'll grab some better pic's and make up a build log but this build is based on an ibanez FR super-tele shape
    Ive already cut and shaped the single piece Idigbo body

Im just waitting on DD to get back to me about a solid Flamed Ash top but if the price isn't right on that i have some flamed ash veneer which is pretty nice that i can use

Thanks again for the replies :)

Cheers
    Gizmo

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Where can one get hold of EZE Oil ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Just ordered a bottle of orange and a bottle of yellow to try from http://www.emeraldguitaristsupplies.com/ @ £6.95 each inc free shipping....cheaper than Crimsons own online store that want £8 for del for 1 bottle......mad really
    Just ordered Crimson finishing oil - will report back

Feedback
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    Just taken delivery of Crimson Guitars, black stunning stain - will let you know how I get on.
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
    Look forward to your feedback Entee

Well 3 days since i ordered from http://www.emeraldguitaristsupplies.com/  and still no contact or dispatch email
    Ive fire them an email asking wtf is going on but if i don't hear anything by friday its off to paypal disputes....

On a side note my RPC arrived today from rest express via ebay £22 delivered gonna try a test piece tomorrow to see how it goes on.
  • @Jalapeno, most Morrells products like EZEoil are principally only supplied within the trade to manufacturers, not to the public. So you really need a business contact to order some for you, or find a reseller like www.fintrim.co.uk 

Be aware that it is relatively expensive and because it is hazardous/ flammable etc shipping is also expensive. The smallest size is 1litre, and the product code for this pack size is RO49a.

Using Morrells products (as a hobbyist) is quite frustrating as many of their products are so difficult to obtain, and yet they have an extensive network of SprayShop trade centres which do seem to be expressly trade only.

Gone down the Crimson/Tru Oil path.

Thanks for the info @CasperCaster - there's a Morrells trade counter in High Wycombe.

Feedback
    So k my yellow and orange crimson stains arrived today,amazing what a paypal message can do,anyhows they are here now but i wont get chance to even try them (on some scraps) till at least Tuesday,will post back then

Got chance to throw some yellow on this weekend

Looks a little more orangery IRL than this pic shows but super easy to use and im happy with the colour...next step (after a few route cleanups) is on with the RPC,

i'll try and get a full build thread for this guitar up at some point.
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    edited October 2016
    I've started staining my Billy Bo replica with Black by Crimson Guitars (stunning stains) - this is after 4 coats

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af151/bexxxhill/Graick%202312T/IMG_3200.jpg

probably another couple of coats before it is oiled
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    @Gizmo that looks great already! 
    I'd love to know/see how you get on with the RPC,  there's precious little documented videos / text on its application. 
    I bought a 1ltr pack of this with their thinner but keep putting it off in favour of a tru oil finish. 
    will you be brushing, rubbing or spraying it on? 
    Sarge said:
    @Gizmo that looks great already! 
    I'd love to know/see how you get on with the RPC,  there's precious little documented videos / text on its application. 
    I bought a 1ltr pack of this with their thinner but keep putting it off in favour of a tru oil finish. 
    will you be brushing, rubbing or spraying it on? 
    I have written a brushing guide for previous forums.... but I think most of these don't exist these days so it's probably lost to the ether

Amber (2 coats applied with cloth) & TRU Oil (12 coats. I think)

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hey guys

Thanks for the updates/pic's and feedback on your usage of the Crimson stuff very interesting to see your results.

Looking at it today ive decided I'll be rubbing back the yellow Crimson on the back & side of this body a little and then re-apply it as a thinned 50-50 coat to blend it a little better as its built a little to unevenly on the idigbo and looks a little patchy atm.

@Sarge I'll be slapping the RPC on with a brush,but as ive got a few to try i'll be doing a test block or 2 first to see which one applies it with the least brush marks,Ive never used it before either as ive always stuck to oil (tru,danish) or rattle can lacquers
    this time i wanted something a little more robust and faster drying/curing and google gave me the RPC as the answer

Ive just ordered a small Plastic Coating Burnishing Paste as ive read that its the best thing to cut and buff the final coat,i guess its a suck it and see kind of finish,i'll post my results and feedback as i go :)

A proper lacquer brush is the way to go.... and the burnishing cream is pretty much the same as t-cut
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    this is the lacquer brush I used to use.  
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/liberon-flat-lacquer-brush-ax22527

I did try many others but runs are always a risk when brushing on a finish.  the lacquer brush is thin, so holds less than a thicker brush .... just enough to flow out evenly... the finish will self level a bit.

When i was doing this I would aim to have the finish done over a long weekend.  
    Start on a friday morning and brush coats on  every 2-3 hours until the evening.
     If I remember right it then needs more than 12 hours cure , but less than 24.    I would start the next day with a light rub down with 400 - 600 g to remove the worst of the brush marks- then start again.  Repeat the same on sunday then leave it at least a week before final levelling and polishing.  when levelling avoid the edges until the final level - you will sand through

if you can't to it all in one go like this its best to leave a day or two between sessions  RPC goes through a stage where  its part cured and the next coat can wrinkle up the previous one... when doing it as i described above you beat that cure time so the new coats in burn well.  If  you leave it longer the next coat wont burn into the previous one.   This is fine as long as you don;t sand through the new coat as you will get witness lines.  the actual time of this will depend on temperature

if you buff out after a week it will still sink in abit after that, but i prefer it like that

here are some of the results

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom