Splitting fx into two amps

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
edited September 2016 in FX

Wonder if any of you guys could help me here. I’m not sure it’s possible without more expense but here goes.

I have two amps and I am splitting my signal using an Axess Splitter/Buffer I recently bought off the very helpful @PFAllen2. All the fx go into both amps of course (see image below). However, I would like all or at least the delay (Timeline) and modulation (Mobius) to go into one amp and the other amp dry. I use a DMC-8D and a DPC-8EZ for my switching system so how can the fx be split? 

The added complication is sometimes I may go out with one amp but I would then want all the fx to go through the single amp but don’t want to have to rearrange patch cables to do that etc. Without going the down GigRig G2 route before anyone suggests it, which is out of the question, Is this at all possible? Maybe another splitter like a Humdinger placed somewhere might do it but I am guessing :(

By the way if anyone is puzzled the centre pedal on my board is a Wireless unit which goes into the Mobius and from there goes into the DPC-8EZ to make use of the it’s pre/post feature.

Am I maybe asking for too much? I’ll be amazed if anyone can come up with a solution.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h471/gibby12345/FullSizeRender_zpsl4z6hzok.jpg
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28657
    Didn't we go through this already, only it was a bit more compex then?

I think you can just put a suitable splitter before the  Timeline and Mobius. Then you use the "spare" output there to go to your dry amp, and the output of whichever of the Timeline and Mobius is second to go to the wet amp.

If you're only using one amp, use the wet output.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    Didn't we go through this already, only it was a bit more compex then?

I think you can just put a suitable splitter before the  Timeline and Mobius. Then you use the "spare" output there to go to your dry amp, and the output of whichever of the Timeline and Mobius is second to go to the wet amp.

I'm not getting it @Sporky when using the looper i.e. DA :( I can see why people just chuck this stuff in and just plug and play into an amp. I think I might have to go to GigRig and ask them to draw up a diagram, even if I have to pay for it. Mind blowing :(
  • What Sporky said. 

Just put the splitter earlier in the chain. Then one of its outputs goes straight into an amp and the other output goes into more effects. When you only have one amp you just don't use the first splitter output. 
  • I do exactly this. I use a GigRig Humdinger, but any splitter will do.

The chain is:
     guitar
        |
     some FX
        |
     splitter --> amp 2
      | more FX | amp 1  

Simples!

R.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    edited September 2016
    Lie me last time you asked. I still think you can just run a line out of the loop switcher and split it into the second amp before the effects you don't want.   
    Robins diagram covers it    Have you tried connecting it all.  
  • What Sporky said. 

Just put the splitter earlier in the chain. Then one of its outputs goes straight into an amp and the other output goes into more effects. When you only have one amp you just don't use the first splitter output. 
    This is my confusion @Sporky or at least in my head. So when in a single amp scenario I will want delays and modulation going to it so if I never so how will that signal get to the amp if it was outed to another? Do you mean I'll have to rearrange some patch cables etc?

Sorry If I seem a bit dim :( I'm not this bad usually LOL but I'm hitting a wall it seems 
    Ah - is the Mobius first in the chain?
  • John_P said:
    Lie me last time you asked. I still think you can just run a line out of the loop switcher and split it into the second amp before the effects you don't want.   
    Richards diagram covers it    Have you tried connecting it all.  
    All connected at the moment but all fx go to both amps
  • Sporky said:
    Yeah
    I think @robinbowes has it - you put the splitter after the stuff that you want to go to both amps, but before the stuff you only want to go to one of the amps.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30941
    Actually I don't buy the 'any splitter will do' thing.

So no.

If you don't believe me get a Lehl 1@3 and try it at 9v and 20v. Huge diff in clarity and headroom.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Sporky said:
    Yeah
    I think you're scuppered then, unless you're willing to change that.

If the Mobius is first you can't un-Mobius the signal later in the chain.

If you put the Mobius second to last and the Timeline last (or vicey-versey) then it'd be easy.
    Why don't ylu shove the Mobius in the TL stereo loop and use the TL outs?

• paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Sporky said:

Not 100% sure here but I'm thinking this wouldn't quite work, the delay would need the wet + dry output, otherwise with the wet only, you'd hear no original sound and ONLY the delayed tone, resulting in much confusion for audience + player.
    paul_c2 said:
    Sporky said:

Not 100% sure here but I'm thinking this wouldn't quite work, the delay would need the wet + dry output, otherwise with the wet only, you'd hear no original sound and ONLY the delayed tone, resulting in much confusion for audience + player.
    Ah - I'd assumed that the delay would be set with a mix - I possibly confused things by using "wet" and "dry" to indicate the amps.
  • Gassage said:
    How would you go about doing that the. @Gassage ?

It doesn't have to be there but as long as I can still use its pre/post feature ?
    Gassage said:

It doesn't have to be there but as long as I can still use its pre/post feature ?
    Hand in your man card and read the manual!

• Sporky said:
    Sporky said:
    Yeah
    I think you're scuppered then, unless you're willing to change that.

If the Mobius is first you can't un-Mobius the signal later in the chain.

If you put the Mobius second to last and the Timeline last (or vicey-versey) then it'd be easy.
    What would be the chain then in my scenario going by my board image o posted @Sporky ;
  • Gassage said:
    Gassage said:

Hand in your man card and read the manual!
    Got rid of that card years ago ;)
  • I can see how placing the splitter earlier on in the chain and split fx out to different amps but can't see it working in a single amp though when I choose to. I'll have to move patch cables surely to accommodate this?