PRRI 'upgrade' options Fender '68 Deluxe reverb?

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727
Mulling over an change from my PRRI.  Starting gigging again soon so need something a bit bigger. I've gigged the PRRI plenty of times, but we have another guitar player now, so I need a bit more bass and power, without losing that fendery goodness.   I've heard lots of good reviews of the '68 Princeton Reverb, but not much on the Deluxe.  Also interested in the other Fender options at that price point, like the Vibrolux and Supersonic, mainly because 2nd hand wont cost much to swap.

Failing the Fender options, I've also been looking at the MJW Electra Twang and Carr Rambler.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Do you need on-board reverb and trem?  If you don't (you can always stick a pedal one in front if you do) I can seriously recommend the Bassbreaker 18/30.  Around the same weight and a wee bit bigger than a HRDX, lots of lovely Blackface clean headroom on the 30 watt side and some great, more compressed Tweed OD on the 18 watt side. The 2x12 configuration really moves some air.  Brand new it should be inside your budget.
  • Since getting the tone King imperial mk2 I haven't looked back. Great blackface tones. However, quite pricey :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Since getting the tone King imperial mk2 I haven't looked back. Great blackface tones. However, quite pricey :(
    Yeah, was looking at those yesterday, they look nice but out of my price range.  But never say never!

• Richardj said:
    Do you need on-board reverb and trem?  If you don't (you can always stick a pedal one in front if you do) I can seriously recommend the Bassbreaker 18/30.  Around the same weight and a wee bit bigger than a HRDX, lots of lovely Blackface clean headroom on the 30 watt side and some great, more compressed Tweed OD on the 18 watt side. The 2x12 configuration really moves some air.  Brand new it should be inside your budget.
    Will check them out.  But yes reverb is a must.  Trem preferable.
    Yeah, was looking at those yesterday, they look nice but out of my price range.  But never say never!
    2nd hand maybe? There was a mk1 for sale on the classifieds not too long ago. More or less the same 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Since getting the tone King imperial mk2 I haven't looked back. Great blackface tones. However, quite pricey
    2nd hand maybe? There was a mk1 for sale on the classifieds not too long ago. More or less the same 
    Yeah possible, would probably still need to find an extra £800 though.  Will try one if I get a chance.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Install a more efficient 12" speaker in the PRRI? Works for me.
  • camf said:
    Install a more efficient 12" speaker in the PRRI? Works for me.
    Did you swap the baffle out?  Mine has a Ragin Cajun in, which is pretty efficient.  I thought about a 12" swap and a transformer upgrade, the Bill M one, but I think a few more watts and a bigger cab is the easier route rather than messing too much.  
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    I bought one with a Celestion Blue fitted and it's loud with plenty of bottom end. 
  • camf said:
    I bought one with a Celestion Blue fitted and it's loud with plenty of bottom end. 
    To be fair I used to use mine with a separate cab with a Celestion Gold and there wasn't a great deal of difference to the cajun, which is the main reason I was thinking of the trasnformer upgrade as well. They are great amps and are loud for their wattage, I just want more of it (2 of them has crossed my mind)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
     I just want more of it (2 of them has crossed my mind)
    Wis'd !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Naturally, as a Carr fan, I would recommend the Rambler... Lots of ex-Princeton owners hve bought a Rambler for that similar sound and more headroom.

It still remains my no. 1 amp, but again, you pay your money... 
  • Slightly off topic, as I'm back in love with all things clean and Fender, I'm considering a '65 Princeton Reissue for use at home.

I tried one in a store recently and thought it sounded much better than the DRRI - and probably gave the nicest cleans I've hear from any Fender amp.

Pretty tempted....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31649
    edited September 2016
    I was going to suggest a Ragin' Cajun because it makes a huge difference to volume over the stock speaker, but as you've already done that you will definitely need more wattage. 

Another option which worked beautifully with my Princeton was a Superlux cab mic and a 12"powered Mackie monitor. 
    Basically for 200 quid I had more volume and headroom, a better spread on stage and the same Princeton goodness except louder.

Being able to use the exact amp sweet spot you want at any volume is better than changing to a different amp you may not like as much. 
  • Slightly off topic, as I'm back in love with all things clean and Fender, I'm considering a '65 Princeton Reissue for use at home.

I tried one in a store recently and thought it sounded much better than the DRRI - and probably gave the nicest cleans I've hear from any Fender amp.

Pretty tempted....
    Your're welcome to borrow mine for a few days if you like Richard and want to try one out at home, I'm only in Gatley.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    I was going to suggest a Ragin' Cajun because it makes a huge difference to volume over the stock speaker, but as you've already done that you will definitely need more wattage. 

Yeah I've had the Cajun in about 5 years.  First thing I did, although the stock speaker sounded a little more alive at low volumes.  I think a few more watts and pushing a bit more air is the only thing sometimes.  Saying that I never used to think that so first thing I'm going to do is change position in the rehearsal room and probably put some new power valves in and see what happens.  I'm still on the stock ones, perhaps they are just worn out.   

• Naturally, as a Carr fan, I would recommend the Rambler... Lots of ex-Princeton owners hve bought a Rambler for that similar sound and more headroom.

It still remains my no. 1 amp, but again, you pay your money... 
    Yes I have tried one and it was lovely.  Sounds Great have one in stock and also a Sportsman so I'll go back to try them out.  The Rambler was different than the PRRI, not quite as sweet but more strident and authoritative, as you would expect.  Plugging in a Strat reminded me of the SRV Little Wing tone, which I love.  Probably unattainable for me atm though.
    Have you tried it with an extension speaker ? 

I find putting my small valve amps through a 2x10 makes for a much bigger sound.

Feedback
    Slightly off topic, as I'm back in love with all things clean and Fender, I'm considering a '65 Princeton Reissue for use at home.

They're delicious, but loud for home, unless you're in a detached house and not toubled by spouse trying yo watch the telly ;)

Feedback
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24847
    edited September 2016
    menamestom said:
    Your're welcome to borrow mine for a few days if you like Richard and want to try one out at home, I'm only in Gatley.
    That's a really kind offer - I may well take you up on that. I'm in Chorlton, so only 5/6 miles away. I'll PM you during the week, if that's ok?

Really appreciated. Thank you.