PRRI 'upgrade' options Fender '68 Deluxe reverb?

What's Hot

Comments

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited September 2016
    If you're in the area again, bring your amp over and run it through my 2x10... Could be interesting. Turn yours into a head...

Or ask Martin to make you a 2x10 combo cab that'll take your amp... That would be pretty cool actually.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72564
    camf said:
    I bought one with a Celestion Blue fitted and it's loud with plenty of bottom end. 
    I can vouch for that, since I've heard it - MUCH louder than a stock Princeton, and with noticeably more bottom-end.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• menamestom said:
    Your're welcome to borrow mine for a few days if you like Richard and want to try one out at home, I'm only in Gatley.
    That's a really kind offer - I may well take you up on that. I'm in Chorlton, so only 5/6 miles away. I'll PM you during the week, if that's ok?

Really appreciated. Thank you.
    Yeah any time.  
  • juansolo said:
    If you're in the area again, bring your amp over and run it through my 2x10... Could be interesting. Turn yours into a head...

Or ask Martin to make you a 2x10 combo cab that'll take your amp... That would be pretty cool actually.
    Yeah, good idea John.  May pop up in the next few weeks then if I can and try it out then.   
  • If you like your amp, a Badcat Unleash is surely an option?? I think the v2 is out now

http://www.badcatamps.com/unleash-v2/
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I've got a 68RI Deluxe and it's fantastic. Would definitely recommend.

If you've got a bit more cash to splash though, you won't find a better amp in this tonal ballpark than the Carr Rambler. It is mesmerising.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    juansolo said:

Yeah, good idea John.  May pop up in the next few weeks then if I can and try it out then.   
    No probs, just give me a days warning to cart it over to Cleggy's.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Bucket said:

If you've got a bit more cash to splash though, you won't find a better amp in this tonal ballpark than the Carr Rambler. It is mesmerising.

Much as it pains me, I find myself in total agreement for once. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Sassafras said:
    Bucket said:

Much as it pains me, I find myself in total agreement for once. :)
    I'll alert the media!

Nah, I love love love Blackface-sounding amps and that's about as good as such things get.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."

• I tried the Rambler and Sportsman today.  Both very Nice.  The Rambler is pristine and unforgiving, I really liked it but It's the kind of amp I'd almost certainly use a low gain pedal with most of the time.  The Sportsman was darker and more Princeton sounding, as you would expect.  A little more squash and give with the headroom control.  Pity it has no trem.

The Rambler would be a step up in headroom from a PRRI and has a more robust sound, which is partly what I was after.  The PRRI however has it's own thing going on which is something I would miss.  It has a bit more character to the sound I think than the Rambler.   Would have been nice to try these side by side with the Princeton.

I'll try the '68 at some point, but at the moment keeping the PRRI and looking other options look like the way forward.

• camfcamf Frets: 1191
    I've now played my Navy Blues PRRI the last couple of rehearsals with a very loud three piece and it just sounds better and better. Seriously, if you can find a way, try it with a Celestion Blue. The other guys in the band were seriously impressed... loud and with huge bottom end.

I used to have a Carr Sportsman 1x12 and while it was a nice but pricey amp, I genuinely prefer my PRRI. Although the speaker adds a few pounds in weight, I really couldn't be happier with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• I tried the Rambler and Sportsman today.  Both very Nice.  The Rambler is pristine and unforgiving, I'll try the '68 at some point, but at the moment keeping the PRRI and looking other options look like the way forward.

I've  never tried a Carr - but your description reminds me of various Two Rocks I've tried over the years. There was a sort of 'stiff' quality to their dynamics which just didn't suit me at all.

Given you love the PRRI - which based on my limited experience with them I really 'get' - would the best bet just to be to get another and run them together when you need more volume?
    edited September 2016
    I don't know... I've never really been a fan of 1x10s, or even 2x10s, so it was the 1x12 that sold me. The fact that it was a Blue was just a bonus and really it wasn't what I thought I'd put in a PRRI as first choice, but it just works really well. YMMV.
    I'm not slamming Carr amps by any means. I'm sure they are fine amps. But I just know that the one I had wasn't amazing. I had an Alessandro that I wasn't hugely impressed with either. In that blackface style, I thought the Gartone Stageman I had was an outstanding amp but too big for what I needed. However, I've been blown away by the sound of the PRRI. I'm sure it won't have the quality components or the other benefits of a hand-wired boutique amp like the Carr, but for the money it cost me it sounds outrageously good.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    Your Princeton, one of these;
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_pra_628_mkii.htm
    and a powered 1x12 wedge, seriously.

Not only do you gain power and flexibility, it even sounds better than the Princeton on its own - most of the great guitar music we've ever listened to comes via the filtering effect of a mic, and this is no exception.

The only thing you lose is portability, but at least you can keep a much-loved amp.

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3898
    @menamestrom I've got a Bill M T020 transformer sitting around from when I used to have a PRRI. Yours for a good price if you want to try it? I'd also recommend installing a 12 inch speaker. I had a Weber 12F150 in mine (great version of vintage Weber C12N) and it worked a treat with the band.

Alternatively, I've got a Carr Impala to sell - more character than the Rambler IMO and with a great master volume. It's based on a Blackface Bassman so will give you the extra low end you desire!
  • camf said:
    I don't know... I've never really been a fan of 1x10s, or even 2x10s, so it was the 1x12 that sold me. The fact that it was a Blue was just a bonus and really it wasn't what I thought I'd put in a PRRI as first choice, but it just works really well. YMMV.
    Can't believe these were the same price as the normal prri's, considering the price of a blue.  May look at a new baffle and 12" upgrade.
    @lebarque I may be interested in the transformer, have sent you a pm.
    camf said:
    I know that @RiftAmps really rates a Celestion blue-style speaker in a Princeton, so you're in good company.
    Just had another thought. As well as replacing the transformer and installing a 12 inch speaker in the PRRI, it's worth trying JJ 6V6s too. They're a lot more beefy than most, more like a 6L6.
  • p90fool said:
    Your Princeton, one of these;
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_pra_628_mkii.htm
    and a powered 1x12 wedge, seriously.

I'll give this a try. I used to have a powered wedge but somebody stole it, but could do with nother anyway.