PRRI 'upgrade' options Fender '68 Deluxe reverb?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Lebarque said:
    Just had another thought. As well as replacing the transformer and installing a 12 inch speaker in the PRRI, it's worth trying JJ 6V6s too. They're a lot more beefy than most, more like a 6L6.
    Yeah, that's on my list.  Actually trying the amp out last night I think it's down on power, and the whole issue could just be down to the stock tubes needing replacing.  So when I get the transformer (thanks for that) I'll check out the results and put some JJ's in shortly after.   They have a bias pot so nice and easy to re bias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398

Then if you really need oompf - powered speaker/monitor, or of course Ryan Adams' rig

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • None of this is helping to quell my urge to buy a Princeton....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    Consider it a public service ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    None of this is helping to quell my urge to buy a Princeton....
    You and me both :(
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not many on here will agree with me but I don't think the Rambler has very high headroom for a 28 watt amp, and it can struggle to keep up with a loud drummer in my experience. There's lots on the web about it if you just google Carr Rambler headroom. Other than that it's a fantastic amp though.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3898
    @menamestom   Any amp dates or still testing?!
  • Lebarque said:
    @menamestom   Any amp dates or still testing?!
    Hi Dave, just waiting for the JJ's, should be here hopefully tomorrow from HotRox.  Got the TO20 installed, sounded better straight away but couldn't give it a full test as the current 6V6's are on their way out and making some bad noises.  The transformer was really easy to install :)
  • dcgdcg Frets: 231
    I have a silverface Princeton Reverb which measures at 15 watts, and is fitted with a Warehouse Guitar Speakers WGS G12C/S; 12" ceramic, but with a smooth cone to harness the highs.  It is loud and clear, and has made a world of difference.  The issue with a small amp like the PR is not how loud it goes, but how much it projects.  For me the WGS, made an appreciable difference - and it's orange, and less than £100 (Lean Business have them...no affiliations!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom