Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Strymon price hike

What's Hot

Comments

• Spotted the same, was going to get a big sky and was holding off as it was over £400 - then I noticed it jumped to £479 this week. Which pushes it toward H9 territory so might just get one of those, or accept that I really don't use reverb that much so could probably stick with my HOF.

Price rises are not in line with the exchange rates, it's being used as a justification. It's getting like petrol it seems, goes up instantly - but won't drop unless the price at wholesale is through the floor for many years.

At this rate I'm going to have to stop buying gear and actually concentrate on not sucking at playing in the hope of getting better- I hope Boris is happy that I am having to completely change my whole outlook on life  :/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1015
    edited September 2016
    There's only one way to combat these sorts of hikes, and that's to refuse to buy the products in question. Let's hope the UK builders can take advantage of this...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • There's only one way to combat these sorts of hikes, and that's to refuse to buy the products in question. Let's hope the UK builders can take advantage of this...

Which UK builder do you think is going to release something comparable to the TimeLine or BigSky any time soon?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    There's only one way to combat these sorts of hikes, and that's to refuse to buy the products in question. Let's hope the UK builders can take advantage of this...
    Alternatively, listening to them will also have the same effect of refusing the buy them.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Head to Peach guitars quick... they still have the old prices!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ha, funny that, Peach was where I saw this hike in the first place. I could be wrong! :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Haha, @Gassage give us your thoughts on them, what products don't you like and what puts you off them? 

Personally, I think the DIG, El Cap and Flint are really nice sounding units.

• There's only one way to combat these sorts of hikes, and that's to refuse to buy the products in question. Let's hope the UK builders can take advantage of this...

Which UK builder do you think is going to release something comparable to the TimeLine or BigSky any time soon?
    That's a question for the builders to answer, and not a layman like me ;-)
  • Teetonetal said:
    Head to Peach guitars quick... they still have the old prices!
    They have both the Mobius and Timeline up at £429 - that a £50 increase since last month, they don't list the BugSky but I would expect them to have risen from £429 to £479
  • Ha, funny that, Peach was where I saw this hike in the first place. I could be wrong! :-)
    Nah, Just realized that peach automatically take off vat when you log in from a different country.. It's a huge increase!
  • I'm glad I got my Strymon fill when I did! Anyone want a Timeline for £500?
    edited September 2016
    Haha, @Gassage give us your thoughts on them, what products don't you like and what puts you off them? 

Personally, I think the DIG, El Cap and Flint are really nice sounding units.
    I find them so sterile and digital. I've tried the Lex, TL, Mobius. The only one I like is the Deco.

If you need 10 patches per gig on compact board, I get it.

If you want tone, I don't.

If ever you get the chance try and hear the Line6 Echo and Mod Pro rack units. They are exactly what I'd want from this sort of modelling.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers @Gassage, I agree with the sentiment re:Timeline, I've not tried those others.

There's a distinct difference between the El Cap and DIG in comparison with the similar modes on the TL, the TL doesn't get close IMO. (*IMO* before anyone loses their shit).

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I may end up selling my two remaining Strymon pedals after getting the Helix. For my needs, I am really not that bothered by the flavour differences. Certainly isn't any huge quality difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

That's a question for the builders to answer, and not a layman like me ;-)
    Laymen define the market that is filled, people do not put their house, family and entire lives on the line just on the whim of investing millions in taking on strymon as there is no perceived market.

There are some wonderful FX makers in the UK, but if people are being honest pedals are based on circuits that have been around a while - and a lot of stuff made in the UK is given the 'UK voice' - the FX's whilst amazing, are not moving pushing new sound boundaries, but perfecting those that have already been there before.

THIS IS NOT AN INSULT OF THE GREAT FX BUILDERS IN THE UK - before anyone gets defensive. It takes a lot of energy, knowledge and resources to develop, perfect and put into production anything simple.

Building something that can give you just about any modulation ever used, with 99% accuracy (to the point we debate it as if it matters, but 99.99999% of the world would not be able to perceive a difference, and those that can are largely led by feelings, myself included) - that is on a whole other level, there are no players in the UK market.

We do not have the infrastructure in place with UK facilities, be that overall tech production (we outsourced), to music innovation (we hark back to the past, as a market generally). This generally will hold back anyone wanting to take on Eventide/Strymon/etc).

It does not make it impossible, and it can and may be done. But we do not have the builders about deliver to market, we do not  have the history of FX production that people learn in and spin off from, we have high production costs, we have very smart people - but they are not in musical innovation as there is a small market in the UK.

I want to be proved wrong and hope we are about to be flooded with FX that destroys all who come before, but lets be realistic. 

We don't make certain things in this country as we don't have the write environment, skills, or most importantly market need
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I may end up selling my two remaining Strymon pedals after getting the Helix. For my needs, I am really not that bothered by the flavour differences. Certainly isn't any huge quality difference.
    Drew- do you prefer the modulations on the Helix or the Mobius? I think the Helix is essentially a modernised version of the Pro Range?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
     or most importantly market need
    Well then why are we all bitching about the cost of Strymon pedals rising?! :lol: 
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    Well then why are we all bitching about the cost of Strymon pedals rising?! :lol: 

If I was going to set up a business selling something I would want more than a couple of people bitching about pricing on pedals they already have, or at most will by one or two. 

One thread with 10 people on bitching about not being able to buy black mugs wouldn't convince me to go into making black mugs, it certainly won't make me borrow millions to get a Strymon rival into production - and if I did, I hope my customers will wait at least 5-10 years for my product instead of saving the extra £50 and buying whats already there.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited September 2016
    I paid 450 euro for my Bigsky,, it is now 525 euros at Thomann's.
    If it's gone up at Thomann, in Euro, what does that have to with Brexit? It's also gone up at Session.de, woodbrass.com,  and guitarmaniac.com in France. Is it a conspiracy? Or a price rise for everyone?
  • Drew_TNBD said:

If I was going to set up a business selling something I would want more than a couple of people bitching about pricing on pedals they already have, or at most will by one or two. 

One thread with 10 people on bitching about not being able to buy black mugs wouldn't convince me to go into making black mugs, it certainly won't make me borrow millions to get a Strymon rival into production - and if I did, I hope my customers will wait at least 5-10 years for my product instead of saving the extra £50 and buying whats already there.
    Nail-head!

there are no UK effects companies that I know of with the background in DSP and guitar effects to suddenly launch something to rival Strymon. Saying "buy British" reminds me of my partner's colleague who when the potential increase of grocery costs caused by Brexit was pointed out to him responded by saying that he was just going to eat "seasonal British food"