Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Can you afford your employer's products?

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28532
    Self employed PA hire and sound engineering so everything I've got I bought myself 
    But could you afford to hire your own PA for a gig?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I've worked in shops and did buy a lot of the products... 

I worked for a company that makes one of the types of machines that makes silicon wafers of ic's ... those machines were many many expensive - I could not afford those...

Recently I worked for a cleaning company - pretty sure I could afford a window cleaner (we only have 2 windows!)...

I worked as a jeweller - and could make a ring (silver) for as little as £5 or as much as £5,000 (I guess more is possible but the places I workedat were never comissioned for more expensive single items).

So I guess I've been able to get some things from employers but not others... currently I purchase knowledge... on credit ;-) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    Two weeks ago no as we only sold enterprise level IT kit (mainly storage) now we've been bought by Dell there is a whole host of stuff I can afford (I.e cheap laptops)
    Are you at EMC?
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1847
    No. I work at a university and certainly could not afford the £9k p.a. fees.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1782
    I'm an engineering consultant and my company charge my time out at a much higher rate than they pay me, so no I wouldn't be able to afford any consultancy or design services from my employer :-(

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    BigMonka said:
    I'm an engineering consultant and my company charge my time out at a much higher rate than they pay me, so no I wouldn't be able to afford any consultancy or design services from my employer :-(

Time to start your own company!

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

BigMonka said:

I've been there. It was about a 50:1 ratio, which seemed stingy.
  • No. Even if I could afford it, I don't think I have enough room on my drive for an aircraft carrier.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Yes of course, but I would give myself a big discount!!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Yes. But then, magazines should be affordable...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• It's one of those threads where I wish I could say I worked at Lovehoney. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    I could afford the repair services we offer and with a bit of planning and thought could afford to save and buy one of the guitars we make. As it is I seem to own quite a few of them .

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    Sporky said:
    BigMonka said:

I've been there. It was about a 50:1 ratio, which seemed stingy.
    Been trying to work out how you can have got to that ratio - most I ever managed was about 8:1 (before I objected to them billing me out as a principal consultant when my job title (and salary) was still "junior".

(This excludes the time when a company billed £5K + expenses for me to fly somewhere to shut down a server and move it to a different rack...)
    Well, they charged a customer about my salary for about a week's work.

It's possible that I managed to get it all done faster than anyone anticipated.
  • It's amazing how complex an integrated circuit is, yet they sell in bulk for around $1. So yeah, I could afford our products :lol:
  • Yes but only entry level stuff. Some deals are a million usd. Not a consumer product though.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3138
    edited September 2016
    Sporky said:
    Self employed PA hire and sound engineering so everything I've got I bought myself 
    But could you afford to hire your own PA for a gig?
    Not at the rates I'd like to be able to charge, but yes at the rates most muso's are prepared to pay!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Myranda said:
    I've worked in shops and did buy a lot of the products... 

I worked for a company that makes one of the types of machines that makes silicon wafers of ic's ... those machines were many many expensive - I could not afford those...

Recently I worked for a cleaning company - pretty sure I could afford a window cleaner (we only have 2 windows!)...

I worked as a jeweller - and could make a ring (silver) for as little as £5 or as much as £5,000 (I guess more is possible but the places I workedat were never comissioned for more expensive single items).

So I guess I've been able to get some things from employers but not others... currently I purchase knowledge... on credit ;-) 

That sounds like a really interesting employment history. Especially the jewellery stuff - my girlfriend would love to get into that but hasn't got a clue on the industry. 
  • Bowks said:
    Two weeks ago no as we only sold enterprise level IT kit (mainly storage) now we've been bought by Dell there is a whole host of stuff I can afford (I.e cheap laptops)
    Are you at EMC?
    Yep well a subdivision VCE
  • No, not in my full time job.

I delivered pizzas at the weekend in my early 20s for Domino's (50% staff discount) and even though I can afford them, wouldn't pay full price. :)