Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Interesting V****x Effects article on Reverb

What's Hot

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    He could post schematics 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I must add, of his own work.... I feel it needs to be said regarding him 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LaurieLaurie Frets: 97
    edited October 2016
    On the 18th of September, the day the infamous Vertex email was sent out from Reverb, I immediately "unsubscribed" to Reverb. 

I'm also very reluctant to ever do business with Reverb again and am very tempted to close my account with them over this.

Super uncool to promote and sell wares from a known scam-artist!!  Why do that?  My mind boggles to think this crook is still in business.  And then to see a seemingly reputable company cooperating/conspiring with him to boost sales of his shoddy tripe. 

We live in a crazy world.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    His constant name dropping is really irritating.
    He'd have us think he's best friends with every musician that's ever lived.
    Come off it Mr Vertex, it's not big and it's not clever. It's just tacky.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    His constant name dropping is really irritating.
    He'd have us think he's best friends with every musician that's ever lived.
    Come off it Mr Vertex, it's not big and it's not clever. It's just tacky.

He abuses relationships and friendships for his own gain. 

Seriously, I am baffled how he is still in business and seems to be selling pedals. 

A forumite on here told me that he had spent time in North America and he said they are very trusting and take people at face value, which may in part explain how Mason is still in business.  It seems that people, most like a lot of Americans, have accepted his apology and they believe that he's moved on and won't scam or con again.   We probably don't buy in to his apology as quickly as they do.  Someone doesn't change their behavior that quickly IMO.

In the original interview posted there was this line:

Did I hear that the contract manufacturer you’re using now also does military work in Silicon Valley?

This has now been edited out but it was as if to say "you can trust good old Mason from the USA, choosing a good American contractor who does good military work.  God bless trustworthy Mason and God bless America."  It's all a load of shite and typical of how Mason tried to manipulate the interviewer into writing that - how would an interviewer even have that information or even think about researching the factory from that angle? 

Good job Reverb took it out because it made the interviewer look like a dick. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2016
    Probably not the wisest idea to continue scamming TGP'ers. Especially given how much they LOVE their guns!!

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/if-you-are-buying-your-first-handgun-what-would-you-get.1737282/
  • Laurie said:
    Probably not the wisest idea to continue scamming TGP'ers. Especially given how much they LOVE their guns!!

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/if-you-are-buying-your-first-handgun-what-would-you-get.1737282/

lol that page being blocked at work. 
  • Laurie said:

I'm sure they love their guns, but I suspect most aren't that into revenge killing.
  • Laurie said:

I'm sure they love their guns, but I suspect most aren't that into revenge killing.

Only if you mess with their daughters or sisters. 
    For anyone interested, the last page of that is fascinating! 
    edited September 2016
    Laurie said:

I would not put it past them.

*edit* I'm obviously not being serious. Jokes guys.. It's fun to joke about the whole TGP gun thing. lol
  • Spend any time at TGP and you'll see there are some people who will defend to the last known scammers and rip-off merchants, even while they are obviously being ripped off by them, even in the face of undeniable evidence and hard facts. I really don't understand it. Some people will hang in for years waiting on scammers to finally come good on their promises. 

As far as Vertex goes, I too am incredulous that anyone would buy his wares given the enormous amount of reliable / truthful / decent-human-beings making pedals out there. It's not even as if what he makes / rebrands / are that esoteric or hard to get other versions of. 

Bewildering.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I for one applaud the way 'Muricans embrace the principles of Christianity and are ready to forgive past transgressions, even extending that forgiveness to a creep like Mr Vertex.
    If only they applied those same Christian principles to their indiscriminate gunning down of unarmed black people.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FWIW, I somehow managed to miss this whole Vertex thing and it was on here that it actually came to my attention.  From my point of view I didnt really see the article as a promotion for Vertex - in fact, my only abiding thought was theres no way in hell i'll ever purchase anything from Vertex or tied to Mason in the future.  It also had me asking some interesting questions about the whole boutique game as a whole (of which I have many pedals from).  I understand people's criticisms of the article in the first place but I think from my point of view all it did was highlight that a crook is still out there and operating and the more people who know about it the better.

I actually applaud Reverb for their approach.  The article didnt need to be a witch hunt and it also gave plenty of references so that if you wanted to find out more (sordid ?!?) information on the whole thing you could.  It was a professionally written piece of online journalism that continued to highlight the problems with this guy, his company and his ethos.  

I'm glad the article was put out as it has enlightened me to Vertex's criminality and if it does that for others who were previously out of the loop then its been a success.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1200
    I bet there are loads of other "boutique" pedals out there that are basic rip offs of some cheapo Danelectro or such.

This particular scam passed me by at the time, so I am grateful that the dirt has been dug up again just to make sure that I dont fall into the trap of putting money into this particular jokers pocket. 
  • steer said:
    I bet there are loads of other "boutique" pedals out there that are basic rip offs of some cheapo Danelectro or such.

This particular scam passed me by at the time, so I am grateful that the dirt has been dug up again just to make sure that I dont fall into the trap of putting money into this particular jokers pocket. 
    Interestingly enough wasn't the Danelectro Cool Cat found out to be a clone of a Fulltone OCD ?
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

And the Danelectro Transparent Overdrive was a clone of the Timmy. He was forced to revise the circuit.
    But I wouldn't be surprised if Mr Vertex cloned a few Danelectros. He could pick them up for pennies and stick his "custom made in the USA" labels on them.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    steer said:

Interestingly enough wasn't the Danelectro Cool Cat found out to be a clone of a Fulltone OCD ?
    A lot of Dano pedals are clones. One of them is a Timmy. Plenty of others.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28736
    steer said:

There are only so many ways to distort a signal, so there will inevitably be variations on themes.

To me there's a difference between that lazy approach and what Vertex did, which was to buy in pedals, swap the nameplate on them and sell them at more than double the original price.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom