Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Interesting V****x Effects article on Reverb

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Vertex - makes my blood boil and I wasn't even scammed. Wonder if he'll pop up here again to spout some more ?

See you next Tuesday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    steer said:
    I bet there are loads of other "boutique" pedals out there that are basic rip offs of some cheapo Danelectro or such.

There are only so many ways to distort a signal, so there will inevitably be variations on themes.

To me there's a difference between that lazy approach and what Vertex did, which was to buy in pedals, swap the nameplate on them and sell them at more than double the original price.
    x4 times the cost.  lol.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2371
    edited September 2016
    (a) A forumite on here told me that he had spent time in North America and he said they are very trusting and take people at face value, which may in part explain how Mason is still in business.  It seems that people, most like a lot of Americans, have accepted his apology and they believe that he's moved on and won't scam or con again.   We probably don't buy in to his apology as quickly as they do.  Someone doesn't change their behavior that quickly IMO.

(b) In the original interview posted there was this line:

Did I hear that the contract manufacturer you’re using now also does military work in Silicon Valley?

This has now been edited out but it was as if to say "you can trust good old Mason from the USA, choosing a good American contractor who does good military work.  God bless trustworthy Mason and God bless America."  It's all a load of shite and typical of how Mason tried to manipulate the interviewer into writing that - how would an interviewer even have that information or even think about researching the factory from that angle? 

Good job Reverb took it out because it made the interviewer look like a dick. 

(a) I'm not sure that can be the reason. There are a lot of americans on the other guitar forums I post on (including TGP) and they're saying much what we are. I think it's probably more accurate to say that there's a specific market or type of person that falls for this. (And a cynic would say that Mason deliberately targets them.)

(b) That's a good point. Agreed.
    FWIW, I somehow managed to miss this whole Vertex thing and it was on here that it actually came to my attention.  From my point of view I didnt really see the article as a promotion for Vertex - in fact, my only abiding thought was theres no way in hell i'll ever purchase anything from Vertex or tied to Mason in the future.  It also had me asking some interesting questions about the whole boutique game as a whole (of which I have many pedals from).  I understand people's criticisms of the article in the first place but I think from my point of view all it did was highlight that a crook is still out there and operating and the more people who know about it the better.

I actually applaud Reverb for their approach.  The article didnt need to be a witch hunt and it also gave plenty of references so that if you wanted to find out more (sordid ?!?) information on the whole thing you could.  It was a professionally written piece of online journalism that continued to highlight the problems with this guy, his company and his ethos.  

I'm glad the article was put out as it has enlightened me to Vertex's criminality and if it does that for others who were previously out of the loop then its been a success.
    To be fair, the original article was a lot less damning (and it's still not anywhere near perfect, at least in my and a lot of other people's opinions). Much like Mason, they only changed it when there was an uproar. In my opinion.
    Sporky said:
    steer said:
    I bet there are loads of other "boutique" pedals out there that are basic rip offs of some cheapo Danelectro or such.

There are only so many ways to distort a signal, so there will inevitably be variations on themes.

To me there's a difference between that lazy approach and what Vertex did, which was to buy in pedals, swap the nameplate on them and sell them at more than double the original price.
    Bingo, agreed. (Except as @bingefeller rightly said, it's often even more than double the price )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm non the wiser, about vertex. I wouldn't pay that much for a pedal anyway. But I now know the best weapon for home defense. Terrifying.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28736
    Dave_Mc said:

Bingo, agreed. (Except as @bingefeller rightly said, it's often even more than double the price )
    To be fair I did say "more than double the price".

Though I take your and Mr Binge's point that it's more than more than double.

I was lazy and didn't do the sums, which is unlike me. I love sums.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Laurie said:
    Probably not the wisest idea to continue scamming TGP'ers. Especially given how much they LOVE their guns!!

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/if-you-are-buying-your-first-handgun-what-would-you-get.1737282/
    The first post; 'I will use it for target practice and protecting my home.' 

Practicing for what? 
  • Sporky said:
    Dave_Mc said:

I was just being pernickity ;)

I didn't do the sums either, just got the info from that TGP thread I posted a link to.  
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2371
    Sporky said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Ooof I think i got my wires crossed a bit there. :D I meant to second what @bingefeller said (i.e. 4 times as much) and got mixed up :s