Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The golden age of (contemporary) music is over - and that's OK.

What's Hot
MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
edited September 2016 in Off Topic
Like classical music had it's golden period I genuinely believe that we have lived through the golden age of Rock/pop/soul/funk/blues.
And I'm OK with it.
If you take roughly 1950 - 2000 as a rough benchmark, all of the really great periods for the genres mentioned above had their time and are now over. 
We have a very rich catalogue of music to draw from, and educate our children with.
Of course there are always exceptions and some new music being produced is decent, but in nothing like the quantity of the 60s/70s/80s.
This isn't a criticism of anything, just an observation - and it's kind of a relief.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    There's still good pop music being produced - people my sort of age just have to get over the fact that there are rarely guitars (or any real instruments at all, often) in it. The others are probably going the way of jazz - in its various forms - and ragtime, though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    It will just keep evolving. Just like what is called Rock these days and what is called Rock 30 years ago are vastly different. More influences will bleed in and music will change. I expect the far east will become a significant influence in western pop music. The emergence of China as the global superpower will start to dictate tastes. Rock will carry on, just differently.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's roughly the time period I enjoy most but I'd stop short of saying no mor golden ages will happen. Today's "what the Fuck is that???" could be the next new thing.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• SporkySporky Frets: 28381
    There's more good music being made and distributed now than ever before.

The "it's all over" argument only holds water if you're stuck in time.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Question for the OP, how old are you? 
  • In every year since the dawn of time there has been a section of society who has just subconsciously realised that they don't listen to new music any music. They often attribute the phenomenon to odd things like people wearing tighter trousers or, as in the OP's case, insects have eaten all the new musicians but it's just plain old aging.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • There has never been a golden age of contemporary music. Every era has its highlights, but also loads of dross that you forget about because you don't listen to it.

Being a child of 1973, I get tempted to see it as a special years for music - a couple or three really huge albums for me came out that year - then I remember that Tie A Yellow Ribbon was number one the week I arrived....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    In every year since the dawn of time there has been a section of society who has just subconsciously realised that they don't listen to new music any music. They often attribute the phenomenon to odd things like people wearing tighter trousers or, as in the OP's case, insects have eaten all the new musicians but it's just plain old aging.
    Tell you what, it's a relief when you make it out of the other side of the buying-most-of-your-clothes-from-M&S stage though.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Our parents said the same once Bing Crosby, Jim Reeves, The Andrews Sisters,Nat King Cole, Mario Lanza, Vera Lynn, Doris Day, Perry Como, Rosemary Clooney and Frank Sinatra had been and gone from the 'hit parade'. All that 'jungle music' wouldn't last they said.
    True our tastes have evolved and our bias may be set by the things we witnessed as new and exciting, but don't forget in every era in pop music there is a lot of dross that gets forgotten and we remember only the classy material that stands the test of time.
    I personally have an issue with listening to second rate poetry recited over a machine beat with a talented voice stitched on to be able to call it music, but that just means I fall into the catogory (to quote Hitch hikers guide - Zaphob Beeblebrox) 'you guys are so un hip it's a wonder your bums don't fall off'.
    I dare say todays youngsters will be still listening to Rapp or whatever it's called this week and having found feelings of rememberence in the decades ahead. there will be mainstream radio chanels like magic is today covering the genre for the mums and dads.
    This is what makes the achivements of the greats like Elvis, The Beatles, The Beach boys, The carpenters, AC DC, Led Zepp, The Who etc. all the more interesting, what will evolve next.
  • Things are only considered to be "Classics" after the event, with the benefit of hindsight.
    Once the Stone Roses blew up huge, the NME were verrrry quiet about the lukewarm review they gave the debut album when it first came out.
    There's a good chance that there are albums around now that, taken out of context and viewed from a distance, will seem more significant than they do now.

And then there is personal taste. The 90's explosion of Rave was totally anathema to me, but to some people it is a golden age of music. One man's sauce is horse for another man's goose....or something.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    The era of music defining fashion, culture and wider society may be done. Music must take its place with a load of other media for attention in future.  Perhaps we need new instruments to bring another wave into effect.
    JezWynd said:
     Perhaps we need new instruments to bring another wave into effect.
    It's time for the trombazoodian to step into the breach.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    edited September 2016 tFB Trader
     The answer to all such statements is: "No, you are just old"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27610
    Sporky said:
    But its ever harder to find, because there's even more-more bad music being made and distributed now than ever before.  The old filters (ie record contracts et al) are long gone so we're swamped with stuff.

Which is perhaps the problem.

We (well, some of us) perceive that there's no more "decent" music being generated now because it's so much harder to find it.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Hey! I'm old (well sort of) and I still listen to all this new crap that you can barely call music :).

Although I have to admit, I'm not so sure that would have been as true if I didn't have kids and encourage them to listen to pretty much all kinds of music. Maybe... I have pretty broad tastes and I've never been afraid to like stuff that isn't 'cool' according to other rock musicians.

It's also worth listening to mainstream radio - I always do in the car... and I don't mean Radio 2. There's a lot you won't like and a lot you'll probably think is rubbish, but there are some gems in there too. Just stop listening for the guitar solos and enjoy the songs and the production.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• That's roughly the time period I enjoy most but I'd stop short of saying no mor golden ages will happen. Today's "what the Fuck is that???" could be the next new thing.

Exactly. Genres like dubstep are the product of several influences blended together on a computer... Whether you like it or not, it's a pretty valid part of out social history. 

Sadly, so is Scooter. 
    TTony said:

But its ever harder to find, because there's even more-more bad music being made and distributed now than ever before.
    I agree that there is more bad music too, but I disagree that that makes it harder to find good music. I'd say it's easier. Rather than the good old days where you bought the CD, then got home to find out if it's any good, you can now preview (erm... prelisten?) legally via Spotify or YouTube or any number of other sites to decide if you like it.

Add to that the plethora of "if you like x you might like y" services (again, Spotify's Discover feature is a decent example (though this week it's served up a lot of indecipherable widdlescream)) means that I, at least, am hearing far more new music than ever before, and a higher proportion of it is good.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Sporky said:

The "it's all over" argument only holds water if you're stuck in time.
    This. The golden age of music is a myth. The ral difference now is that their is no tribal alliance with bands as part of a youth identity. The majority are tone deaf and have rebelled against the taste makers.  Hence Simon Cowell. The 60s and 70s were a golden age for musicians because unless you pretended to like music you were uncool.... 

Sad but true.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited September 2016
    Psycologically I think it's harder to look up to musicians younger than yourself. 
    The 2000's have had way better music than the 90's IMO.
    Neo folk, garage rock, neo prog, good electronic music all came back. 

• I also feel the same way about films but that's a different thread :)