Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thoughts, comments, observations, wise words of advice? Please!

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27599
On the basis that it's always easier to give opinion and advice when you're a long way removed from a situation, and you can see some stuff far more clearly than the person who's caught up in the middle of it ... I'm now asking for that opinion.

I've asked friends, but they'll typically say what they think I want to hear.  Whereas you're either not friends ( ;) ) or you're not so worried about telling me something that I might not want to hear.

I posted a while back that we could be moving house.  That's still progressing, but I alternate from 20/80 to 80/20 about whether it's a good thing to be doing, or not.  We've sold, and bought, all STC, but nothing's signed or sealed yet.

Our current house is modern, solid, warm, comfortable, does us nicely, has no surprises, is equipped and decorated just how we want it, we know and get on with the neighbours (and most people in the village) and we've lived here happily since it was built 16-odd years ago (yes, it's modern, but it's *very* well built).  It has lots of happy memories, and just the thought of leaving is enough to make me all emotional.

It's paid for, so we're mortgage free and I could retire tomorrow and survive.

The possible house is 17th century timber framed & thatched, with some 1940s & 1960s additions.  It was last "updated" in the 60s, and is in desperate need of structural work (damp, deathwatch beetle, woodworm - none of which are generally advantageous in timber-framed buildings) and some basics (new roof, new doors, double glazing, new septic tank, rewiring, heating system, bathrooms, a kitchen).  All do-able, but it'll be uncomfortable living in it for a while.  It's listed and the conservation officer seems to adopt a different approach depending on whether he's talking to me, or writing to me.  We also want to put an extension on it (subject to Mr Conservation) to make it "work" for us.  So there's a huge risk on him formally agreeing to everything that we want to do.

But it has 9acres, a load of outbuildings, and the potential for some development work that could yield a very tidy profit in due course.  It will also have more peace, more wildlife (which I enjoy watching), more space, the opportunity for a mahoosive workshop, music room, guitar cave (etc, etc, etc).  

And it'd be a different lifestyle.  I'd be doing "stuff" rather than slobbing out with a laptop on my lap (!) writing pointless stuff on forums.

We'd need a mortgage to finance it (approved, ready & waiting), plus a large chunk of our savings, which means that I need to carry on working for another 5-odd years.  And it's a bit (20-odd mins) further out for the commute.

Part of me is shouting "you'll regret it if you don't".  The other part of me is yelling "you'd be mad, be happy with what you've got".

MrsTT is keen, partly because she's never been as happy here as I am, partly because she's used to the old houses where the heating doesn't work and "running water" means through the roof, and partly because it has a menage and a couple of paddocks that are ideal for her hobby.

So, is it time for a leap into the unknown or should I be "sensible"?

The words of the song keep coming back to me ... "being happy is wanting what you have, not having what you want".
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27599
    Ooops, that was quite long.
  • Personally speaking I wouldn't.

But I'm risk averse and hate DIY etc. I'd also definitely want formal permission from conservation guy before proceeding.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Are you actually mental in the face?

More sensibly, can you do/get done the work needed without breaking the bank in a reasonable time scale?

If yes, do whatever Mrs Tony says.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's better to regret what you did rather than what you didn't.

I wouldn't, but only because I'm generally lazy. I want a home to be fully useable without hassle. Getting my should-have-been simple extension done was a nightmare.

9 acres of wildlife land sounds amazing.

Put a guest house on it and I'll rent it for a week.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    I would say do it. I'm not sure I'd do it, but for you I think it sounds like it'll be a great adventure, you're in a position where you understand what'll happen and you're prepared for some short-term inconvenience, and it'll make Mrs Ttony happy.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    I can't tell you what to do Tony- but we took on a project ourselves and I have precisely zero regrets.
    I'm 100% certain I'd be kicking myself if we didn't do it.

It is perfectly normal to be fearful- it is a big change.
    But we adapt quickly and life is too short to live with regret.
    I'd also definitely want formal permission from conservation guy before proceeding.
    Oh yes, most definitely.  I'm currently waiting on his confirmation of (or disagreement to) my emailed notes of our last meeting.

mike_l said:
    More sensibly, can you do/get done the work needed without breaking the bank in a reasonable time scale?
    Somewhere between possibly and probably.  We think we've sussed most of the problems, but the unknown unknowns ...

We can afford it, though only with the safety net of a mortgage, which is something we're not accustomed to.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    If you've already started the process, continue with it. If you haven't, don't bother with it.

Honor.
  • I'm not usually one to weigh in on issues like this but I say no. I was just about to move this year and was made redundant from a secure job with no warning or consultation. 
    Living in a paid for house that isn't perfect but is "home" and knowing that between us we could rustle up the council tax and food bill was a lot less stressful.
    I'm also risk averse like my learned friend above having been fucked over so many times in my working life.
    Also remember that you still have neighbours even on a large property and some sort of boundary issue could be a crappy as having noisy neighbours for you.
    bope this helps to crystallise thoughts.
    They don't want your name, they just want your number.
  • If you can deal with the extra 5 years work I'd be keen. I'd jump at a project like that if I had the option. 

And maybe spend the first year working out a way to get those chicken sheds paying rent and cut a year or 2 off that 5-year timeline anyway...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    If you can afford it and the missus is really keen on it then I say do it. You only live once and all that
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Are you actually prepared for the potential stress? 

It could be perfect, but our current situation house wise isn't hugely different.  Every simple job isn't.  Every thing you have got quotes for, double it, at least.  Every timetable, double or triple it.

Listed means that you don't have any choices (we had a grade 2 listed in the UK).  If the planning officer is having a bad day yours will be twice as bad.

Having land is nice (we have 14 acres here), but it is a huge job on it's own maintaining that. Have you costed out decent fencing, gates, water, electric?

All this sounds massively negative, but it isn't meant to. It's really about managing your expectations and being prepared for the punches before they land.

If you can plan for the worst case scenario and are cool with that it could be the most satisfying experience of your life.

Just my 2c.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • if you're comfortable working for another 5 years and your job is secure, I say go for it. you wouldnt have taken it this far if you werent prepared to take it on, and (this is the most importnat argument!) your wife seems to want to do it. I assume youve talked to her about your concerns?
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    I'd want formal permission from Mr Conservation in writing, along with any other planning permission required, before I took the plunge.
    The rest can be sorted, but that is one risk too far for me until it's all formalised.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    edited September 2016
    Tough one - I'm very conservative when in comes to financial commitments - so if it were me, I'd be very tempted to stay put.

But I'm board senseless with some aspects of my life and - probably for the first time ever - I'm considering selling up and relocating somewhere completely new. So I 'get' the attraction of shaking life up a bit.

And I suppose the decision needn't be permanent. If after a few years you fancy moving somewhere more manaeble again - then you can - having had the adventure....
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

Mrs TT wants a ménage ?  Is the local area notable for such things ? 
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Personally I'd do it because the 9 acres appeals a lot - but that's me, you may not feel as strongly about simply having "land". I'd look at keeping a small flock of sheep; or maybe a very small herd of cattle.

Only you can know the finance situation, but if you can afford it, including the contingency for the unknown, then the money is better spent - after all you can't take it with you. Working an extra 5 years? Depends how much you like your job! I think most people would do it if they were reasonably happy at their job though.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    My honest opinion is that if you have to ask the question, you know what the answer is.

Sounds like there are some fantastic benefits to the move, some potential pitfalls and a fair bit of stress.

Have you done the old "list the positives and negatives" and see which list is bigger?  I'd presume you have.

You could always buy it for me, let me live there for a year to test it out and then, if its not right, I'll take it off your hands for nothing.
    And maybe spend the first year working out a way to get those chicken sheds paying rent and cut a year or 2 off that 5-year timeline anyway...
    The chicken sheds would convert into 4 bungalows.  It's potentially permitted development which means less planning permission hassle.  There's road access and power/water on the site.

The cunning plan is that my company buys the shed & plot for £x and puts it into a SIPP as a development property.  The £x funds half of the work needed on the house, and gets the money out of the company and to us free of tax.  The appreciation in value on the shed & plot once planning is granted is sheltered from tax in the SIPP.   That is an attraction.

HippoPete said:
    I'm not usually one to weigh in on issues like this but I say no. I was just about to move this year and was made redundant from a secure job with no warning or consultation. 
    Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm self-employed, so redundancy isn't a big risk, but work could still dry up so it's still a concern.  Plus I've currently got the luxury of not needing to work to survive, whereas I'd have to work to pay the mortgage on the new place.  It's definitely a factor in my thinking.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    Flip a coin and see how you feel about the outcome.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."