Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thoughts, comments, observations, wise words of advice? Please!

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    Corvus said:
    Our place is listed and there's NFW I'd get a listed place again. A year to get approval for a shed, two surveys for a £3 bracket in the roof, etc. Interior mods when fireplace needed fixing, big PITA.
    Although a lot depends on the particular planning people still I wouldn't do it again.
    I grew up in a listed house (16th century farmhouse) - my main memory around conservation was being told we couldn't take down a wall built in the 1960's to expose an 18th C fireplace and bread oven, followed by my dad later telling the conservation officer that one of us had slipped with a sledgehammer and knocked a bloody great hole in it, so we had to take the rest down for safety reasons.

"Funny how often that sort of thing happens", the officer said with a metaphorical wink, before signing off on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Man up. Do it. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader

@LoFi good style from your Dad, and the ossifer. We have take a similar attitude since thought without actual hammer, so far. I have too many planning hassles to write here, what they do is good & right in principle but in practice it can be very difficult & expensive to comply with what are sometimes fanatical/mad requests and if you have nutcase planning officers it's just a big pain. So much is down to the individuals you get to deal with.

• Go for it!

Personally I'd rather live with the experience of at least having had a go, even if it goes tits up. Hopefully that won't happen for you but it's better than kicking yourself for not trying.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4548
    you gotta make the wife happy
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27599
    Today appears to be a "go on you idiot ... move" day.

Confirmation from the Conservation Officer that he agrees with my notes from our meeting, ie that he approves of the various things that we'd want to do.  We'd still need formal Listed Building Consent, but if he's OK'd the changes in principle, we've done everything we can at this stage to clear the LBC hurdle.

Confirmation from the vendors that they'd be happy for us to get some of the work done between exchange and completion - minor things like removing the current full, blocked & crumbling septic tank and having a new treatment plant installed - so we could at least move in to a functioning building.

And we just won £1m on the lottery, so all the funding problems go away.

2 out of 3 ....

Architects contacted to start the detailed drawings!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    DesVegas said:
    Who's* though?

*whose? always confuses me, as do past and passed.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    Weigh up the pros and cons, write lists. Find out everything you can about the area. Get a god financial consultant to go through everything with a fine tooth comb. And if you want peace and happiness for the rest of your days, then just do whatever the wife says. ;)
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27599
    lloyd said:
    DesVegas said:
    Who's* though?

@Lloyd think of the apostrophe as replacing a character (or two), and it gets a less confusing.

Thus "who's" would mean who is wife, or who has wife (etc) which wouldn't make sense in this context, and therefore the odds are that "whose" (which is the "possessive" form) is correct!

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    TTony said:
    lloyd said:
    DesVegas said:
    Who's* though?

@Lloyd think of the apostrophe as replacing a character (or two), and it gets a less confusing.

Thus "who's" would mean who is wife, or who has wife (etc) which wouldn't make sense in this context, and therefore the odds are that "whose" (which is the "possessive" form) is correct!

Ta, thing is with this one is that an apostrophe is used to indicate possession (replacing the archaic 'e' that would be in there e.g "lloydes terrible grasp of grammar" becomes "lloyd's terrible grasp of grammar"-I think no?) so that trips me up-I need to re-start reading again, used to devour books so grammar was impeccable. 

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1