Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

"Selfies" - WTF is wrong with people ??

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28750
    What the dickens is that?

It looks like some sort of newfangled telephonic device, but I can't see the wires.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    What the dickens is that?

It looks like some sort of newfangled telephonic device, but I can't see the wires.
    You type a message on it hen tie it to the leg of one of your carrier pigeons.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Gotcha.
  • It amazes me how little some of you think of anyone who isn't exactly the same as you.

As for selfies, I could take a photo of a monument I'm looking at, which would be way worse than a photo of the monument I could find on Google in seconds. Or I could take a photo of me at the monument, and make a much better memento IMO.

Or you could just label it as vanity, whatever suits your grumpy old man argument.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    It amazes me how little some of you think of anyone who isn't exactly the same as you.
    But I believe myself to be a good person. Therefore the things I do must be good, and when others act differently it must not be good. Simple really.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    Sporky said:
    It amazes me how little some of you think of anyone who isn't exactly the same as you.
    But I believe myself to be a good person. Therefore the things I do must be good, and when others act differently it must not be good. Simple really.
    Also known as 'I'm OK, you are not OK".
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16801
    My oldest daughter is 4.  She has had almost zero exposure to social media, my wife hardly posts anything and generally hates having her picture taken.  I post guitar and beer stuff but that's about it.

we did buy her a camera, and she got the hang of taking pictures pretty quickly. She often takes pictures of things she has made. She also uses an iPad occasionally and found the camera on that.

The other week we went through the pics on the iPad. As well as 2000 screenshots of a CBeebies app we also found some of the most beautiful "selfies" ever.  I even had a couple printed on canvas and hung in the house.

nothing to do with vanity or moral decline, just a kid playing with the technology available to her..... at least for now

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24453
    Right, I'm all beer and gin'd up, so, let's rip...

In the absence of any explanation that could be understood by any reasonable person - and none so far has met this criterion, I'm sorry to say but I have no choice but to fall back on the default belief that selfies are synonymous with narcissism.
    octatonic said:

People care about their image because they are the most important thing in their life and...
    I believe you've just confirmed my fears.  If this is true, then it's a sad indictment on the youth of today that they consider the most important thing in their lives to be themselves.  Thank God we didn't have a society of today's youth in 1939.  We'd all be writing in German if that were the case.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    Right, I'm all beer and gin'd up, so, let's rip...

In the absence of any explanation that could be understood by any reasonable person - and none so far has met this criterion, I'm sorry to say but I have no choice but to fall back on the default belief that selfies are synonymous with narcissism.
    octatonic said:

People care about their image because they are the most important thing in their life and...
    I believe you've just confirmed my fears.  If this is true, then it's a sad indictment on the youth of today that they consider the most important thing in their lives to be themselves.  Thank God we didn't have a society of today's youth in 1939.  We'd all be writing in German if that were the case.
    Are you actually serious?
    It isn't narcissism to value your life and to put yourself first.
    If you have kids then fine, yes they are a priority- but otherwise yes, put yourself first.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

narcissism

ˈnɑːsɪsɪz(ə)m,nɑːˈsɪs-/
    noun
    1. excessive interest in or admiration of oneself and one's physical appearance.
      • PSYCHOLOGY
        extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one's own talents and a craving for admiration, as characterizing a personality type.
      • PSYCHOANALYSIS
        self-centredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects, either in very young babies or as a feature of mental disorder.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:

narcissism

ˈnɑːsɪsɪz(ə)m,nɑːˈsɪs-/
    noun
    1. excessive interest in or admiration of oneself and one's physical appearance.
      • PSYCHOLOGY
        extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one's own talents and a craving for admiration, as characterizing a personality type.
      • PSYCHOANALYSIS
        self-centredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects, either in very young babies or as a feature of mental disorder.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    octatonic said:
    TTony said:
    octatonic said:
    Christ you are a miserable sod 
    Doesn't make his point wrong though.
    Remember when you were young and the older generation looked at stuff you were doing (I'm guessing using new fangled technology such as the spinning jenny, instead of weaving by hand)
    hhahahahahahahahahahaha!! Funniest fucking thing I've ever read on this site!! Props Jim, props.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Empy chap... you're being a spazz.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Oh that's rich, coming from you !!!  

So far, the only one seemingly interested in a serious discussion is @Snap (apologies to anyone else if I missed you, but I am pissed).  The defenders of selfie culture haven't come up with any logical defence or explanation, but have relied on taking the piss.  It's almost as if they haven't thought about it.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12430
    Its been said many times Emp, it feeds the ego, we all like a pat on the back or a wow for doing something, however banal or facile it may seem to some.

And if this doesn't get any more than the measly 1 wiz i got for my last post in this thread I'm going to go into a deep depression.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I hate seeing women over the age of 25 taking selfies and making stupid faces.  Over the age of 30 is worse, especially if they are using those pictures in an attempt to attract men via a dating site or app.  
  • holnrew said:
    You're just old.

It's nice to have photos of yourself where you look good, a little confidence boost. I tend to look terrible in pictures so it's nice to take back some control and portray a more positive image. I had an aversion to them for years, but then I got tired of hating myself and forced myself to take selfies. Everybody else was doing it, why shouldn't I? I like to think mine are a fairly honest representation of what I see in the mirror rather than being caught at inopportune times.

Now some (girls usually) do go too far and take selfies constantly, with the same practised pose every time. Partly vanity, partly to get attention from fuckboys to boost their ego.

Also I have no friends and the only way to get pictures of me is to take them myself.
    Holn, what I genuinely love about you is your honesty.  
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Wait until I make love to you
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Emp_Fab said:
    Oh that's rich, coming from you !!!  

So far, the only one seemingly interested in a serious discussion is @Snap (apologies to anyone else if I missed you, but I am pissed).  The defenders of selfie culture haven't come up with any logical defence or explanation, but have relied on taking the piss.  It's almost as if they haven't thought about it.
    You're deliberately ignoring all the posts that don't agree with you. I believe you have low self worth and are attacking others for wanting to feel good about themselves. 
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2016
    Not at all mate.  I didn't read any posts that explained well enough for me to understand the mindset.  It's nothing at all to do with me deliberately "ignoring posts that don't agree with me".  I don't clamour peer approval or seek validation through others, which, thinking about it, probably partly explains my difficulty in understanding the selfie mentality.  'Low self worth' ?  Come on now...   it's me you're talking about right ?!  :3