Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

"Selfies" - WTF is wrong with people ??

What's Hot

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    DrJazzTap said:
    I saw a couple taking a selfie of themselves in the cinema......I wanted to throw my popcorn over them.
    Just live your life and try and create memories imho......I'll go back to my cocoa 
    Why not follow your own advice?

Serious question, why give a fuck, it's not something I'd do but maybe it was a special day for them, if the flash is going off mid-film then yeah, but otherwise?

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    Its for fakebook n that innit, the place where a doctored portrayal of your life makes it look as though you are living a far more interesting and fullfilling life than any of your friends, where the best comment to get would be "OMG, I wish I had your life xxx" when the reality might be that it's going down the shitpan. People need it nowadays to feel secure.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lloyd said:
    People are vain too, that's not a new invention, take 20 shots, keep one and delete the others.
    I would argue that the culture has changed towards a normalisation of this, bordering on a wider acceptance of narcissistic behaviour, but this is just anecdotal and I don't have anything to back it up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloyd said:
    DrJazzTap said:
    I saw a couple taking a selfie of themselves in the cinema......I wanted to throw my popcorn over them.
    Just live your life and try and create memories imho......I'll go back to my cocoa 

Serious question, why give a fuck, it's not something I'd do but maybe it was a special day for them, if the flash is going off mid-film then yeah, but otherwise?
    fair comment. Just something which boils my piss.  I'm my own worst enemy. I spend far too long fixated on a laptop or a mobile phone. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    lloyd said:
    People are vain too, that's not a new invention, take 20 shots, keep one and delete the others.
    I would argue that the culture has changed towards a normalisation of this, bordering on a wider acceptance of narcissistic behaviour, but this is just anecdotal and I don't have anything to back it up.
    More people can afford to be vain sure, but there's plenty of recorded examples through history of vanity, Narcissus probably the best and most enduring one.

DrJazzTap said:
    lloyd said:
    DrJazzTap said:

fair comment. Just something which boils my piss.  I'm my own worst enemy. I spend far too long fixated on a laptop or a mobile phone. 
    Not trying to be a cunt here, more devil's advocate I suppose, the selfie takers could be on another chatroom (rightfully?) pouring scorn on people who don't know them whining about them taking photo's of themselves doing things they enjoy.

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    its no different to once upon a time asking someone to take a picture of you in a landscape/in front of something. you just dont have to ask now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    @lloyd I have plenty of moments in my life that are either in my memories and/or that I have photos of.  There is zero need for my face to occupy any of the image.  I know I was there and I also know what I look like.  What is the logic of a selfie ?
    @Emp_Fab ; .. wis awarded. I think the same way ...
    Pics or it never happened ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What astounds me is that all young females appear to now possess an in-built ability to take selfies that are a perfect, idealised version of themselves. Without wishing to sound nasty, I've met folk at gigs who're fairly large and not especially good looking who - upon them hitting "like" on our band page - have a profile picture which bears a passing resemblance but appears at least 3 stone lighter and far better-looking.

I have no idea how this is done, but I'm reasonably sure it must take years to figure that shit out as well as sucking up a fair amount of day-to-day time. I've witnessed our singer spend 15 minutes getting the perfect selfie in various circumstances.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • lloyd said:
    DrJazzTap said:
    lloyd said:
    DrJazzTap said:

Not trying to be a cunt here, more devil's advocate I suppose, the selfie takers could be on another chatroom (rightfully?) pouring scorn on people who don't know them whining about them taking photo's of themselves doing things they enjoy.
    mate I didn't take it that way. You're right though. Others have said "why does it bother you?"
    I do remember seeing the aristocrats in Bristol amongst a sea of raised mobile phones desperately trying to capture a guthrie in the wild. 
    I don't know about you, but if you've ever tried to record anything at volume in say a practice room with a mobile phone. In my experience it tends to come out sounding like a farty mess. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • I find that holiday photos of famous sites and landscapes are more pointless than selfies. You can just google the Taj Mahal if you want to see a picture, but you can't google "Me at the Taj Mahal". I suppose they both serve as aide memoirs when trying to be nostalgic but at least the selfies are unique as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    DrJazzTap said:
    lloyd said:
    DrJazzTap said:
    lloyd said:
    DrJazzTap said:

mate I didn't take it that way. You're right though. Others have said "why does it bother you?"
    I do remember seeing the aristocrats in Bristol amongst a sea of raised mobile phones desperately trying to capture a guthrie in the wild. 
    I don't know about you, but if you've ever tried to record anything at volume in say a practice room with a mobile phone. In my experience it tends to come out sounding like a farty mess. 
    If it affects you then yeah it's annoying, but people taking selfies doesn't affect you.

I don't mind people taking a bit of a video clip at a gig, whole songs or the whole time is annoying, but I think we've all whipped our phone out to take a pic/vid or something that affected someone else so I try to be wary of throwing stones in glass houses.

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Because the uni campus is a world heritage site we get a boatload of tourists (actually there's a river taxi, so sometimes, literally a boatload) ... and I've noticed a lot them walking around with selfie sticks... 

Even seen a family with multiple sticks
  • I take family selfies with me my wife and little son. We don't post them on social media all the time, there are actually very few pictures of our son online, sometimes its just because we are happy and want to capture that moment so we can show our son when he is older, my parents didn't have a camera when I was young so there are very few photos of young me that i can show my wife and, as I don't think I look anything like young me anymore, it's a bit of a shame!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27599
    octatonic said:
    Christ you are a miserable sod 
    Doesn't make his point wrong though.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    TTony said:
    octatonic said:
    Remember when you were young and the older generation looked at stuff you were doing (I'm guessing using new fangled technology such as the spinning jenny, instead of weaving by hand) with a disapproving shake of the head?

Each generation has its own norms.
    There is nothing inherently wrong with these things- but I do find the 't'weren't like that in MY day' stuff to be a bit weird.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4548
    Everyone is their own PR agent these days, and they're selling their lifestyles on Social Media 
    I'm not
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Cant see anything wrong with it personally...

Image result for jaws selfie

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:
    octatonic said:

Since his point appears to be "I don't like <blah> and I don't need a reason for it" it's very hard to argue with. I certainly don't disagree that he dislikes <blah>. That doesn't mean that there's anything inherently wrong with <blah>, mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom