British people are 'nasty' and ‘arrogant’ - Chuck Yeager

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
According to Chuck Yeager British people are 'nasty' and ‘arrogant’ .. He says on his Twitter feed 'the Brits weren't so friendly when we were fighting their war for them' .. he makes multiple posts .. We're the new nasty race .. (what he probably means is the English).

I think he's spot on.  Good reason not to join in any US led wars. And if we're stopping EU migration we should tell the yanks to fuck off ... :-)

I wonder if Putin likes us? Strange world we live in.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/05/british-people-are-nasty-and-arrogant-says-wwii-flying-ace-chuck/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Old fuck is irrelevant.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Old fuck is irrelevant.
    Old fuck saved Britain. The cowardly Brits needed heroes like Yeager. He shot down five German planes in one hour after breakfast. God bless America.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited October 2016
    Wow that's.. Sobering. 
    I always looked up to him as an inspirational character and pilot when I was little. 
    the Bell X-1's plans weren't british as such, but it'd never have flown without the UK "selling" their supersonic aircraft designs to the US. (It was supposed to be a total exchange of research and drawings and technical data between the two countries. we gave them everything, they gave us nothing) The X-1's original elevators were a traditional design that caused too much turbulence for use as it would have resulted in the aircraft departing when approaching Mach 1. 
    We had the bright idea of having the entire surface move rather than just the trailing edge. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    'Our war'. Yeah, right.

Sounds like a Trump voter.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    He's 93 so perhaps his brains are scrambled.

The yanks wouldn't have had jet engines without us.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Absolutely.  Compared to Americans I completely agree.  Superficially.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Fretwired said:
    According to Chuck Yeager British people are 'nasty' and ‘arrogant’ ..
    Then we are ..... simples !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited October 2016
    I likely wouldn't enjoy a beer with Yeager and I hate that "we guys saved your asses" shit, but he's partly right. Many English people are snide, superior and capable of displaying total contempt to Americans. My US friends living here have some stories to tell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Old fuck is irrelevant.
    Old fuck saved Britain. The cowardly Brits needed heroes like Yeager. He shot down five German planes in one hour after breakfast. God bless America.
    Except he didn't. Two of the five involved him not firing a shot. He got into position, the German panicked, and crashed into his Luftwaffe wingman. Official war records say that the scared pilot was one N. Rosberg... 

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Several of his squadron mates have said "if there's one thing Yeager likes to talk about, it's Yeager", or words to that effect. He wasn't as universally adored as he likes to proclaim, and arrogant is a word that's been used to describe him more than once.
    The jet engine, all-moving tailplane (from the Miles M.52), gyro gunsight and Merlin-engined Mustang are all things he would have had to do without if it wasn't for the British.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I loved my Chuck Yeager shoes though.. Wait..
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    If I remember from The Right Stuff - the book rather than the more fictionalised film version - he was not popular among the Edwards Air Force Base test pilots either, many of who went on to be astronauts. He was arrogant and looked down on them as trained monkeys who had "volunteered to go up in a tin can with a wire up their butt" or something to that effect.

Maybe he's just bitter that he isn't remembered as widely as Neil Armstrong. He probably wouldn't have passed selection as an astronaut anyway even if he'd applied - too much of a loose cannon.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    I needed to calibrate his comments.

So I watched the Matchplay highlights from the Ryder Cup and the fans behaviour.

I concluded he's wrong.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• According to Max Hastings most of the fighting and dying in WWII seems to have been done by the Russians, while the Americans played hide the sausage in the Dorset countryside.

As for the war in the skies, we owe more to the Polish Air Force (emigres) then we do the Americans.

Apart from that I agree with Chuck, we are arrogant, it's not called Great Britain for nothing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

In fairness, we had a parliament, sanitation and law and order when they were still drawing buffalos in their caves.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28395

Apart from that I agree with Chuck, we are arrogant, it's not called Great Britain for nothing.
    It's not arrogance if it's justified.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    When the first English colonies arrived on the Virginian Coast they mostly all died though eh and if it wasn't for the Americans, who knew how to eat and were a good couple of feet taller than the malnourished Brits they mostly all would have.

Although in fairness the Vikings got there first.
    It's probably the Italian influence, after all we weren't called Great Britain before the Romans invaded.
    Sambostar said:
    It's probably the Italian influence, after all we weren't called Great Britain before the Romans invaded.
    He's back, with improved spite. Welcome back x

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom