What's Hot

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15975
    THAT'S A LOAD OF FUCKIN' PISH!
    tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    edited October 2016
    Considering Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier after the Americans renaged on an agreement to give one another technical information to allow both of us to have a crack at the sound barrier. They took our data including the 'floating tailplane' from Martin (those of ejector seat fame) which was thier fatel flaw and told us to fuck off and gave us nothing...again. Remember we gave them the jet engine, ready made with complete blueprints. Shafted again. They gave us some rusty WW1 destroyers for some island territories when we were desparate ...shafted again. When we went to seek financial help for all the money we spent saving Europe...shafted. When we recovered secret Nazi technology we gave or shared it, we got nothing in return though.

So we are nasty and arrogant. Has he met any of his countrymen? They have a different take on the world is all, it doesn't make us wrong and them right.

P.S.
    Remember that the USA were the only nation to end the war richer than when they started (all be it they only joined in half way through...again).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    lloyd said:
    Troy said:
    Fretwired said:
    He's 93 so perhaps his brains are scrambled.

The yanks wouldn't have had jet engines without us.
    But wasn't it the Germans who invented the jet engine, and America poached some of these scientists after the war? I could be wrong though.
    Think it's Whittle that's credited with perfecting or "inventing" the aeronautical jet engine.

Indeed, when the allies got their hands on the German Jet engines, they really only provided some refinements to Whittles original designs.  We had already handed over our jet technology to the Americans before the end of the war.

An interesting footnote.  The Rolls Royce Nene which was the first real development of the Whittle engine was given to Pratt and Whitney, but in a gesture of goodwill Stafford Cripps also gave 25 to the Russians with of course an agreement that they wouldn't use it for military purpose.   The Russians promptly reverse engineered it and it ended up powering the MiG 15 probably the best fighter of the Korean war and responsible for the death of a lot of Chuck Yeagers countrymen and fellow fliers .. perhaps he hasn't forgiven us?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ESchap said:

Stafford Cripps also gave 25 to the Russians with of course an agreement that they wouldn't use it for military purpose.   The Russians promptly reverse engineered it and it ended up powering the MiG 15 probably the best fighter of the Korean war and responsible for the death of a lot of Chuck Yeagers countrymen and fellow fliers .. perhaps he hasn't forgiven us?

Didn't know that. I know Churchill wanted to give Stalin the A-bomb. The yanks said no.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    edited October 2016
    Yeager's also on Twitter contradicting someone about the Mustang Merlin engine - saying Packard built it and it wasn't a British design ....

So my earlier assertions of Yeager's infallibility are misplaced - he's a jingoistic old twat !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Whilst yaeger is undoubtedly a twat, there's a good podcast/blog run by a Hawk flying instructor at Valley that I've mentioned before. Here he talks about the use of arrogance and over confidence as a coping mechanism to mask feelings of inadiquacy and insecurity amongst high achieving professionals. 
    Some of his other stuff is a fantastic read/listen and there's some nice anecdotes in there too!
    http://www.fastjetperformance.com/podcasts/impostor-syndrome-and-the-fine-line-between-confidence-and-arrogance
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3081
    Chuck's obviously not been to the Midlands!  

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Troy said:
    Fretwired said:

But wasn't it the Germans who invented the jet engine, and America poached some of these scientists after the war? I could be wrong though.
    You are thinking of Wernher Von Braun and his V2 rockets who headed the American space program including the Apollo F1 engines.

As for winning the war for us- it's just plain fucking ignorance on his part.

Regarding arrogance, try reading a biography written by a yank. American Sniper and Ed Visteurs autobiography are both excruciating.
    Garthy said:
    Troy said:
    Fretwired said:

You are thinking of Wernher Von Braun and his V2 rockets who headed the American space program including the Apollo F1 engines.

That's it .. went on to make some great shavers .. ;-)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jalapeno said:
    Yeager's also on Twitter contradicting someone about the Mustang Merlin engine - saying Packard built it and it wasn't a British design ....

So my earlier assertions of Yeager's infallibility are misplaced - he's a jingoistic old twat !
    Probably thinks the Yanks designed the Spitfire ...

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Fretwired said:
    Garthy said:
    Troy said:
    Fretwired said:

That's it .. went on to make some great shavers .. ;-)
    Thought that was Victor Kyam :/

;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Yeager is an irrelevance these days but he does have a slight point - you will hear British people be publically rude/dismissive/bigoted/abusive of the US and its people that they would not do about any other country in so brazen a manner.
  • I can't be the only one who sometimes wishes that Columbus had sailed on past the place...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    I can't be the only one who sometimes wishes that Columbus had sailed on past the place…
    I'd imagine millions of Native Americans feel the same way.

But it's quite hard to sail past America unfortunately.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SporkySporky Frets: 28388
    Yeager is an irrelevance these days but he does have a slight point - you will hear British people be publically rude/dismissive/bigoted/abusive of the US and its people that they would not do about any other country in so brazen a manner.
    We're horrible about loads of people, not just the fat, stupid, bigoted septics. ;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    There's nice and not so nice people in all countries to be fair. 
    My V key is broken
    Yeager is an irrelevance these days but he does have a slight point - you will hear British people be publically rude/dismissive/bigoted/abusive of the US and its people that they would not do about any other country in so brazen a manner.
    I have to disagree - I think the cheese eating surrender monkeys and the sauerkrauts are our most popular targets.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    Jalapeno said:

Silly old bugger.

Packard license built the Rolls Royce Merlin for use in the P51.

I used to have a deal of respect for CY but TBH he seems to be going a bit senile. :/
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    Jalapeno said:

To be fair, a number of Mustangs were fitted with the Packard V-1650 engine (which was a licence-built - yup, you've guessed it - Merlin).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • RAF ground crew "erks" loved getting hold of the Packard Merlin, as each one came with a particularly nice toolkit.
     I wonder how many of those still exist?
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....