British people are 'nasty' and ‘arrogant’ - Chuck Yeager

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24372
    My new neighbours are noisy, arrogant, and completely self-centred. Now I know how Canada feels
    (Gary Delaney)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Sambostar said:
    It's probably the Italian influence, after all we weren't called Great Britain before the Romans invaded.
    Although 'Great' refers to the island land mass, not the people or how wonderful we think we are. The Romans never conquered Scotland. Naked men painted blue with red hair would even frighten Chuck ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited October 2016
    It's probably the intonation of the dialect and the fact that Brits and most Northern Europeans ignore you and warm to you over time if they like you, where as Americans love you, then turn their backs on you when they discover they hate you.

It's most probably the same reason we think the Germans are rude.  German is a rude language, there aren't very many pleasantries.  American has more pleasantries than English and they are far more polite and they use far more facial muscles to say similar words so they make far more social effort because they expend more calories when they speak.  Although they probably need to as the language probably evolved with the diet.

If I had to talk like an American I'd be knackered after  a half hour.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    I worked in America and I wouldn't say the average American was polite. In fact it was the opposite. Yanks are fine when you get to know them but in places like New York they burn on a short fuse. I've been on the receiving end of a mouthful from a few New Yorkers ... :-)

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I'm not sure there are many 93 year olds regardless of their achievements that we should be taking any notice of their social commentary, he was pushing 50 when the Stones released Exile on Main Street FFS.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Meh. Who cares what he thinks.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Fretwired said:
    According to Chuck Yeager British people are 'nasty' and ‘arrogant’ .. He says on his Twitter feed 'the Brits weren't so friendly when we were fighting their war for them'

Well at least we didn't drop nuclear weapons on unarmed civilians. (Just normal high explosives.)

The Chuck of old was known for pretty good eyesight, but I think the rest of his senses need a tune up.

• TroyTroy Frets: 224
    Fretwired said:
    He's 93 so perhaps his brains are scrambled.

The yanks wouldn't have had jet engines without us.
    But wasn't it the Germans who invented the jet engine, and America poached some of these scientists after the war? I could be wrong though.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Troy said:
    Fretwired said:

But wasn't it the Germans who invented the jet engine, and America poached some of these scientists after the war? I could be wrong though.
    Think it's Whittle that's credited with perfecting or "inventing" the aeronautical jet engine.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    edited October 2016
    It's fantastic that america did join the war, but they did it because it was in their own interests. Until they realised that was the case, they had no interest in helping us beyond token gestures. And what help they did provide, they were sure to make us pay for it afterwards. What a great racket - "yes, we will lend you money. But you have to spend the money on our weapons. Then you have to repay the loan, with interest."

Then, having got a taste for throwing their military might around the world, they decided to carry on doing it for the rest of time. It's no accident that after the war america was the world's superpower.

Chuck's an old guy, old guys tend to become insane and shouldn't be judged too harshly for their words.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2016
    Troy said:
    Fretwired said:

The Yanks were years behind. We gave them some Meteor jets and allowed them to make the engines under licence. British jet engines were vastly superior to the Germans probably because by the end of the war they had massive shortages of raw materials. Frank Whittle went to work for the Yanks after all his work was given to them as part of our war reparations. 

The Germans that helped the Yanks were on the rocket programme. By then the Germans were behind in jet engine technology.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    He'll always be the first supersonic man, buy that doesn't give him licence to talk shite. Compare him with the Apollo astronauts, they all come across as humble, lovely people despite their achievements.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2930
    That's what happens when you give silly old cunts access to Twitter.
    Bidley said:
    True. He was still flying a prop plane when the RAF and Luftwaffe had fast jets ... that would have pissed him off.

The Meteor was a better plane than the ME262. The Meteor’s engines could operate 180 hours before overhaul, while the Me 262's Jumo 004 engines were required to be overhauled after only 10 hours and were prone to flame outs due to a rushed design. The Meteor was much faster, especially with the advanced Derwent engines.

Yeager broke the sound barrier in a British designed plane. The UK government was conned as usual.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8715
    edited October 2016
    Fretwired said:
    Bidley said:
    Yeager broke the sound barrier in a British designed plane. 

He also broke orders to do so. His test flight was supposed to remain sub-sonic .... but then, when Eric Brown flew the ME163 he'd only been permission to taxi. However since his orders did not say "thou shall't not fly" he saw no harm in taking it up to 10,000 feet and apologising later.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    Fretwired said:
    Bidley said:
    Yeager broke the sound barrier in a British designed plane. 

He also broke orders to do so. His test flight was supposed to remain sub-sonic
    Says it all .... good job we designed a decent plane that didn't break up .. ;-)

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited October 2016
    holnrew said:
    He'll always be the first supersonic man, buy that doesn't give him licence to talk shite. Compare him with the Apollo astronauts, they all come across as humble, lovely people despite their achievements.
    Most fast jet pilots have a degree of arrogance about them, its almost integral to their ability to operate effectively. 

Theres an old tale of an RAF Harrier pilot who went to a dinner party and was sat down next to older american gentleman who was an ex-pilot himself. They spent the evening talking about jets and flying and the harrier pilot thought they had a brilliant conversation. 
    The next morning, his mate came up to him and asked how his evening with Neil Armstrong went! 
    He'd never even asked the old man his name. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hertz32 said:
    holnrew said:
    Most fast jet pilots have a degree of arrogance about them, its almost integral to their ability to operate effectively. 

Theres an old tale of an RAF Harrier pilot who went to a dinner party and was sat down next to older american gentleman who was an ex-pilot himself. They spent the evening talking about jets and flying and the harrier pilot thought they had a brilliant conversation. 
    The next morning, his mate came up to him and asked how his evening with Neil Armstrong went! 
    He'd never even asked the old man his name. 
    Brilliant!

:-)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Roland said:

... but then, when Eric Brown flew the ME163 he'd only been permission to taxi. However since his orders did not say "thou shall't not fly" he saw no harm in taking it up to 10,000 feet and apologising later.
    Especially since the ME163 was extremely dangerous to fly, and had a habit of exploding on landing if there was even the smallest amount of fuel remaining.

He actually reached 32,000ft - in under 3 minutes, which I don't think was surpassed until the EE Lightning.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Roland said:

... but then, when Eric Brown flew the ME163 he'd only been permission to taxi. However since his orders did not say "thou shall't not fly" he saw no harm in taking it up to 10,000 feet and apologising later.
    Especially since the ME163 was extremely dangerous to fly, and had a habit of exploding on landing if there was even the smallest amount of fuel remaining.

He actually reached 32,000ft - in under 3 minutes, which I don't think was surpassed until the EE Lightning.
    Not surprising as you were basically strapped to a rocket ...