Skinheads

What's Hot

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited October 2016
    Great documentary from Mr Letts.
    I know a few good Ska nights in London that are always a really great evening.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    I saw it - I've only known Garry Bushell in his minor TV pundit roles so wasn't expecting to learn about his skinhead past:

http://www.garry-bushell.co.uk/ontheblog.htm
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    Iamnobody said:
    I saw it - I've only known Garry Bushell in his minor TV pundit roles so wasn't expecting to learn about his skinhead past:

I remember when he wrote for Sounds.  He championed Oi! bands - I think he invented the term, in fact - like the Cockney Rejects and for a while he was into older rock/metal bands like UFO.  And there was that time Ozzy Osbourne shaved his head for some reason and Bushell branded him a "suedehead".
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    I could put you in the way of so many skinhead sites...I really could...
    As soon as I saw that I thought "I worry where this might lead.........."

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Philly_Q said:
    Iamnobody said:

I remember when he wrote for Sounds.  He championed Oi! bands - I think he invented the term, in fact - like the Cockney Rejects and for a while he was into older rock/metal bands like UFO.  And there was that time Ozzy Osbourne shaved his head for some reason and Bushell branded him a "suedehead".
    I remember him from Sounds. I used to have a clipping of him reviewing Saxon - 'more spare hair than a wig maker's warehouse.' 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Philly_Q said:
    Iamnobody said:

I remember him from Sounds. I used to have a clipping of him reviewing Saxon - 'more spare hair than a wig maker's warehouse.' 
    I'm much younger than you pair!
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Iamnobody said:

I'm much younger than you pair!
    Most people are!  ;)

I liked Bushell when he wrote for Sounds, he was funny at a time when most music journalists were just determined to be hip and cool.  I wasn't so keen on some of the stuff he wrote in the Sun and said on TV.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    School in 1981-1983 everyone was a mod or a skinhead. 

I saved up all one summer to get the kit and turned up on the first day of term in 1984 and everyone had become a casual.

i blame Paul Weller.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    edited October 2016
    Just picking up on the racist side of this- and also just 'enlightening' regarding the ongoing gay Skin scene-

The whole Nazi worship is a big thing for a group of some. It's pretty disgusting hardcore and so on. Pretty easy to spot as they'll use either SS or 88 in their profile titles or something like that (eg. SSkinSSir...)

Needless to say a lot are German. I'm not sure why 88 is used- someone once explained it.

Some have the most remarkable collection of Nazi gear- mostly leather- however the practices are utterly braindead and dangerous.

It is a really worrying part of the scene.

However, if you don't seek it you won't really find it.

Equally, there's guys who simply enjoy the look as it's quite sexy, and also, only the really good looking guys can get away with it.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

88 is Heil Hitler ( H being the 8th letter of the alphabet).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks.

I've been out-gayed.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Not something that often said to me  :) Although the nicest thing said to me so far today.

One of the oddest things on the programme was the Malaysian far right skinheads doing sieg heils. As was commented on it Hitler would have had them all shot.
    Gassage said:
    Thanks.

I've been out-gayed.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    Gassage said:
    Thanks.

I've been out-gayed.
    I posted a while back about a beer called 1488 but it seemed no one here knew about these numbers.

Not sure if that is the most nazi beer or or the gayest now. 
    I remember that and knew about the numbers . 14 I'm a bit vague on but it's the words in a white future slogan thing?  I'm still hanging on to being the gayest forum member for one day...

Reverend said:
    Gassage said:
    Thanks.

I've been out-gayed.
    I posted a while back about a beer called 1488 but it seemed no one here knew about these numbers.

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Bosh this German Wiki page through Google translate for all the number stuff:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechtsextreme_Symbole_und_Zeichen

@EricTheWeary

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2015/racist-skinhead-glossary

Common terms of the movement

14/88: Common white supremacist code. 14 stands for the "14 words" slogan coined by David Lane, who is serving a 190-year sentence for his part in the assassination of a Jewish talk show host: "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children." 88 means "Heil Hitler," as H is the eighth letter of the alphabet.

Ta  :)
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    I thought it was a good programme, recognised a fair few of our audience at the revivals too, which was nice.

We;ve had a fair few of the neo-nazi lot come along to our shows, they soon get shown the door by the rest of the crowd.
    Reverend said:
    Gassage said:
    Thanks.

I've been out-gayed.

I thought the 88 meant they all liked playing the piano.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom