Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

In praise of...RYRA

What's Hot

Comments

• builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    edited October 2016
    Own up! who ordered the last of the goldish RYRA's from No Tom's Guitars?  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha, I was thinking the same thing!!!! Fuming! ;-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • @Majorscale looks beautiful!!!

• Haha, I was thinking the same thing!!!! Fuming! ;-)
    Just spoken to them now, looks like they are literally flying off the shelf plus they sold two overnight.
  • We should get commission!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    One them hopefully on it's way to me.  ;) 
  • Wehey, congrats!

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    @Jonathanthomas83 if you are set on plain gold/oxblood you could do a lot worse than the Arc Effects klone. Like the ryra there are many videos showing essentially no difference to an original klon. I own and am very happy with the Arc and doubt there's much/any difference to a Ryra 
    I keep saying this, but for some reason no one seems to believe me. The same goes for any klone built to the same specs, as they all tend to be...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    juansolo said:
    @Jonathanthomas83 if you are set on plain gold/oxblood you could do a lot worse than the Arc Effects klone. Like the ryra there are many videos showing essentially no difference to an original klon. I own and am very happy with the Arc and doubt there's much/any difference to a Ryra 
    I keep saying this, but for some reason no one seems to believe me. The same goes for any klone built to the same specs, as they all tend to be...
    its cos we wants to believe in magic @juansolo :) simple init
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I was reading an article about the guy who makes the Chase Secret Preamp.
    He was saying he can tell the difference between wires in amps.
    Whether they were stranded, cloth covered, single core, plastic covered etc...
    Nutcase. Is what I thought.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I worked with a few of the worlds best chefs...they used be able to taste an incredible amount of detail in dish way way more than most..just sayin
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mgaw said:
    I worked with a few of the worlds best chefs...they used be able to taste an incredible amount of detail in dish way way more than most..just sayin

As far as I know, he wasn't eating the amps.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    *tentatively licks pedal*
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Is this not just hype? Before this was the wampler tumnus, before that was rocket archer, before that is was the ARC klone v2. Any of these pedals could give you what the klon is designed to do, or am I missing something? No doubt this is a great pedal, but just a klone - like the rest of them!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    mgaw said:

the texture of an amp is all wrong,,,but you know what i am syaing not all "ears" are born equal...out there some will have very finely tuned hearing...and be able to discern details that others dont pick up on...accumulate lots of little details into one "package" and there, in many walks of life, lies excellence and the extra 1%
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    BBBlues said:
    Is this not just hype? Before this was the wampler tumnus, before that was rocket archer, before that is was the ARC klone v2. Any of these pedals could give you what the klon is designed to do, or am I missing something? No doubt this is a great pedal, but just a klone - like the rest of them!
    After continuously listening to different Klones and never owning one before I came to the conclusion that the RYRA had just a pinch more warmth to it than others, now, wether that's me just wanting to hear a difference I don't know but all I can say is this, I love it, and that's about all that counts. Oh and it helps that it looks bloody good too, the colour is a fantastic mix of copper and bronze, superb.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    BBBlues said:
    Now if Thorpy made a Klone, everyone would be fizzing about how it was the 'one'

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    BBBlues said:
    Now if Thorpy made a Klone, everyone would be fizzing about how it was the 'one'
    Yeh, I'm hoping Thorpy's gonna release a muff-style pedal too.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2016
    Lebarque said:
    BBBlues said:
    Yeh, I'm hoping Thorpy's gonna release a muff-style pedal too.
    He could call it something like the Muffroom Fallout Cloud...

FWIW, and just my personal current view of the Klone thing. The problem with getting into selling them is that they are all the same electronically. So it comes down to how they're built, and if they're built competently, the box they're in.

Hype and flavour of the month aside, you're literally selling them on marketing. When that bites, like the RYRA/Arc/whatever, you can shift a few of them for £200 a pop in a nice gold powder-coated 1590BB. When it's over you move on and do something else. Now if you're using standard parts like the above, that's no real investment on your part. It's literally about £200 to get some nice boards designed and a bit of time (if they don't just use someone else's). The rest is just parts and assembly. However if you really want to make yours stand out, it's all down to the box it's in, as that's all that's really left. It's just one of those effects that's really easily repeatable and as I've mentioned over and over again, most changes come down to tolerances.

We've even proven it by running the circuit through a lab, it's on Madbean, search for Klone Science. The layout makes so little difference you can barely measure it (tested by moving the same components between several different PCBs). All the differences come from the tone resistors and capacitor. Some people change these from the Chitum trace, most do not. Outside this there is the variance on parts and that mainly comes down to 20% tolerance pots. Which will effect different Klons, never mind different klones.

So all that is left is getting that hype train started. If you can get your pedal loved up by a few vocal people on TGP, you're laughing. Look at the Dumbloid debacle if you want a perfect example of the hypocrisy of the place. $600 pedal comes out of Japan, it's the second coming of Christ! Then one of these people de-goops it, and starts selling a knock off for $400. It's just as good! Look at it! Said person then gets upset when someone else, wanting a cheaper clone of it, gets one into the hands of FSB, who trace it and find it to be a particularly poorly put together tube screamer. Some of the values on it making no sense whatsoever. Which results in massive amounts of denial by the faithful. Cloner (not the original builder!) takes exception to this and is saying why his is better and getting pissy about the fact that 'his' pedal has now been traced. You couldn't make this shit up.

Basically, that's a lot of words for why I don't like this sort of thing. Especially effects like the Klone where it's hype has been so expertly cultivated over the years that it's become some sort of holy grail effect. It's an OD with a clean blend. The distortion side of it is (for a few reasons I CBA to go into) pretty unpleasant. So you're actually only really using the half of the circuit most of the time. Which has always baffled me.

TMW, but I was in the mood this morning for a rant ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    mgaw said:
    Sassafras said:
    mgaw said:

the texture of an amp is all wrong,,,but you know what i am syaing not all "ears" are born equal...out there some will have very finely tuned hearing...and be able to discern details that others dont pick up on...accumulate lots of little details into one "package" and there, in many walks of life, lies excellence and the extra 1%

I took your point, I was just being facetious.
    Why break the habit of a lifetime?