Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

In praise of...RYRA

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited October 2016
    http://winteriscoming.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/00-prancing-tyrion.gif

@juansolo Nailed on

I have to agree with John on this.  FWIW the Juansolo Klone I got a few years ago sounds pretty much identical to the one I made myself 6 months ago on the same pcb.

My Juan Klone is the second one down.

http://juansolo.co.uk/stompage/klones.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    edited October 2016
    Do all Klones use the Chitum trace (I presume that's a circuit diagram?) or do some vary?

Do we know if the J Rockett Archer follows the Chitum spec or not?

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Do all Klones use the Chitum trace (I presume that's a circuit diagram?) or do some vary?

Iirc the archer circuit takes advantage of the fact they were the manufacturer of the Ktr pedal for a while so they know that circuit.  
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    Having owned a silver Archer for a year and loved it, I have not really cared much about what goes on underneath and the whole Klone hysteria but when That Pedal Show demos real Klons and a range of Klones and there are noticeable sonic differences, even between the gold and silver Klons (which are alleged to be the same inside) then it gets me curious as to what is the real Klon sound and which is the closest Klone and if they are the same circuit why do they sound different.

I found this an interesting read:

https://aionelectronics.com/project/refractor-centaur-overdrive/

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited October 2016

I would suspect that the Rocket is the only one that doesn't because they built the first run of KTRs, so they'll have made them to whatever Bill's latest version of the pedal was. The only thing that differed as far as I'm aware, was that he added a buffered/true bypass switch, and when I say he, I mean he paid PaulC (Mr Timmy) to design it for him because the bloke is a salesman, and not a bloody pedal designer (he also paid people to design the original effect).

Other than odd tweaking, I suspect all the other ones are based on the Chitum trace.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited October 2016

Having owned a silver Archer for a year and loved it, I have not really cared much about what goes on underneath and the whole Klone hysteria but when That Pedal Show demos real Klons and a range of Klones and there are noticeable sonic differences, even between the gold and silver Klons (which are alleged to be the same inside) then it gets me curious as to what is the real Klon sound and which is the closest Klone and if they are the same circuit why do they sound different.

I found this an interesting read:

https://aionelectronics.com/project/refractor-centaur-overdrive/
    <stuck record mode> if they're made to the same schematic as above, any difference will be down to parts tolerances, some of which are huge. Welcome to the wonderful world of analogue electronics. </stuck record mode>

FWIW the bit about the diodes is wrong, they're 1N34A. Not that it makes much difference as if the FV is in the right area, you can't tell the difference. Also, no one uses the distortion side of the circuit so in most instances you could take the fuckers out and not know the difference.

If you've got some time to kill, some interesting threads:
    If you've LOTS of time to kill, this entire forum section:

I also thought I'd add this one, you might need an FSB sign-on to read it, but it's quality. It's the Dumbloid thread on FSB started by a group of TGP'ers with completely the wrong idea about what FSB is. One of my favourite threads.

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    read through some of them and have seen that it is indeed all hype but i like the knobbies it sounds great and is staying
  • Ordered my RYRA Klone today.....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I ordered one of each.
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 456
    Currently waiting patiently in the classifieds...
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    juansolo said:

I also thought I'd add this one, you might need an FSB sign-on to read it, but it's quality. It's the Dumbloid thread on FSB started by a group of TGP'ers with completely the wrong idea about what FSB is. One of my favourite threads.

God that was a tough thread to get through some really ignorant opinions.