Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anybody else moved from Android over to the dark side ...?

What's Hot
4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
in Off Topic tFB Trader
Been an Android user for a good many years now. Got the chance to buy a iPhone 6 Plus for a very good price so I took it, figuring I can sell on easily if I don't take to it.

Thing is, I actually quite like it...

Despite the hardware being slightly older and less powerful than the Note4 I had, it seems faster somehow. All the apps open quickly and there's zero lag launching the camera. Battery life seems much better too. 

I do do miss things like the hardware back button, but the iPhone OS seems easy to adapt to. Siri is much less of a gimmick than I though too. Not to mention the OS looks much cleaner and less fussy than Samsungs awful touch wiz interface. 

Guess I'll have to say a few Hail Marys for all the times I've mocked iPhone users for their closed eco system and lesser hardware now ...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28666
    I got given an iPhone with the new job. It works. It's not as well integrated as Android (I had a Nexus 4) and you've less opportunity to tailor it to how you want it, but it's not dreadful.

I'd still rather have Android overall.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5552
    Like Sporky, I got a 6S with my job. It's nice to look at and the battery seemed pretty good but I just didn't like it.
    We used Microsoft Office apps and OneNote and files from my laptop would constantly fail to sync to the iPhone, they gave me an iPad too and they simply refused to transfer to it. Effortless transfer to my Android handset though.
    I lost the Apple stuff when I lost the job and I don't miss them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27220
    I like iphones a great deal more than android. That said, I also have a macbook and ipad, so doc sharing and that kind of thing is much easier with the full combo.

Still not sure about the whole headphone thing though. Apparently they're doing new macbooks today that get rid of all th standard USBs and the SD card slot too :(
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11970
    I went from  having  3 iPhones to getting a Galaxy note, wanting to ditch  the locked-down OS and memory
    There were many issues with the Note - usability, performance,  poor software and OS, no  integration with  office,  Windows software to go with it was  very poor, like something from 10-15 years ago

I've now gone back to iphones,  had a 5s and 6s+, 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    I went the other way. had iphones for years (up to the 5), and decided to make a change. Love Android now, and cant ever see myself going back to ios.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • derndern Frets: 357
    Always had an android phone but was given an iphone with work. I can see why you'd like it if you're used to them but the system didn't seem to have enough benefits to make the mental leap. Shame really as I love my macbook.
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    edited October 2016 tFB Trader
    I dunno. Perhaps I'm not enough of a power-user on the phone to notice much difference.

I use it to message, call, check Facebook and here, check emails, browse the web and take pictures. All of which both platforms do equally well, although the iPhone seems to do them slightly quicker. 

I'm sure I'll run into some frustrating situations soon where it won't do what the Samsung did though ...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28666
    I dunno. Perhaps I'm not enough of a power-user on the phone to notice much difference.
    For most things they're much of a muchness. The iPhone seems more keen on resetting changes I've made (just leave Swiftkeys alone!) and I felt that Android had better integration between email, calendar, maps, addressbook and so on. Both do the job.

Also I think it depends a lot on what Android device you have. The Nexus 4 was pretty much a "pure" Android installation. From what I've seen a lot of the manufacturers slather it in their own stuff in the same way a small child applies make-up.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    For most things they're much of a muchness. The iPhone seems more keen on resetting changes I've made (just leave Swiftkeys alone!) and I felt that Android had better integration between email, calendar, maps, addressbook and so on. Both do the job.

Also I think it depends a lot on what Android device you have. The Nexus 4 was pretty much a "pure" Android installation. From what I've seen a lot of the manufacturers slather it in their own stuff in the same way a small child applies make-up.
    Exactly the case with Samsung. Touchwiz is an unnecessary and childish overlay for Android. 

Anyway I've given myself a month to use the iPhone and see if it suits. If not I'll be getting a Pixel. Good thing about iPhones is they hold their value, so at the price I paid I'll make a small profit if I sell it on!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455
    I love the build quality of the iPhone and the ease of repair. Ap wise I tend to use other stuff like Google drive, Hotmail calandar, Google maps instead of Apple etc
    Android is too open for me, I have never yet seen a virus on an iPhone or iPad, I don't actually think it's possible to get one unless you jailbreak IOS but Android seems to be like a sickly child that picks up and gets infected by everything out there. I'm not complaining about it as it's a nice steady income for me wiping phones and Tabs but I couldn't be owning something that open myself. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4235
    I did.  When I picked the iPhone up in the shop the guy asked if I wanted it setting up - I told him I'm software developer and would probably cope, he chuckled and said you're going to miss the fiddleability of Android.  Thing is, I never did.  I spend all day pissing about with code and operating systems, so it was nice to have a phone that told *me* how it was going to be rather than the other way round. :)

I went back to Android two years afterwards though, got a phone on a ludicrously cheap deal and, in turn, I don't miss iOS.  They're pretty interchangeable for about 80% of what I do.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    I had an android  phone 5 years ago, then went to I-phone. Hated it.
    Last year got given a new Galaxy 6 as a work phone and fell in love with andorid all over again. iOS is just horrific.
  • I switched when the iPhone 6 launched.  It did everything I needed plus you could easily get half decent quality mic attachments for it which made recording rehearsals more integrated than remembering the Zoom handheld, a different charge cable, connecting to my laptop to get the file etc etc.

Literally about the same time I bought it they announced mics for Android.. lol.  Typical.

I can use either OS but I'm happy with my iPhone and intend to run it until it breaks.  They cost a lot though, given how powerful all iPhones/top end Android phones are these days I don't think I'd be in a rush to get the current model of anything... I'd probably save the ££ and get last year's model.
    these days I don't think I'd be in a rush to get the current model of anything... I'd probably save the ££ and get last year's model.
    I think this is probably about the most apt remark - as far as I can see we've pretty much reached Peak Smartphone making the rush to get a brand-new model fairly pointless.

Doesn't stop me doing it every two years though.
    tFB Trader
    randella said:
    these days I don't think I'd be in a rush to get the current model of anything... I'd probably save the ££ and get last year's model.
    I think this is probably about the most apt remark - as far as I can see we've pretty much reached Peak Smartphone making the rush to get a brand-new model fairly pointless.

Agree. I used to really want the latest and best handset every upgrade. I must be getting more sensible in my old age though. I'm actually due an upgrade next month. But I decided to buy this phone as they hold value very well. I'm going to get a sim only deal for much less money. I'm currently paying £40 a month, but the phone I wanted - Google Pixel would have taken that to £45-50ish! Now I can get a sim-only deal for under £20 and just buy phones that are a year or so old as and when I need them. 
  • I used to have an iphone 4s. When the contract was up I went to an HTC, because apple didn't do a larger phone other than the 5s which was not a big enough step up for me.
    I've since got a 5s with work and I find I hardly ever use my HTC I just find the interface just that little bit cleaner and consistent, I'm always hunting for something on the HTC.
    Once dual sim cases are available for the iphone 7 i will be going back to apple.
    Now I wish somebody would do a dual sim+battery pack case.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455
    randella said:

Agree. I used to really want the latest and best handset every upgrade. I must be getting more sensible in my old age though. I'm actually due an upgrade next month. But I decided to buy this phone as they hold value very well. I'm going to get a sim only deal for much less money. I'm currently paying £40 a month, but the phone I wanted - Google Pixel would have taken that to £45-50ish! Now I can get a sim-only deal for under £20 and just buy phones that are a year or so old as and when I need them. 
    This is the way to do it ......... people never seem to realize they are buying a phone on HP, not getting a free phone with a contract!

They do definitely do seem to have run out of idea's now. The iPhone 7 doesn't seem to be able to boast much at all over the 6S .... Luckily though is doesn't catch fire either and that's enough I spose until Samsung come out with something better.

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5552
    It's a fair comment that your Android experience can be based on which handset you have. But that's also the beauty of it, with Android you can get a handset to fit almost any budget which can't be said for iPhones.
    I've always had one of the latest top-end handsets with each upgrade - HTC Desire, Galaxy S2, HTC One - but last year I went SIM only and bought a OnePlus 2 outright. Massive saving over contract yet still a top-end phone.
    Danny1969 said:
    This is the way to do it ......... people never seem to realize they are buying a phone on HP, not getting a free phone with a contract!

This is the last time I do it.  My iPhone was a bit knackered and I was offered a contract that made the 'HP' on the phone a sight cheaper than buying a new one.  14 months into the contract, the handset's pristine and, despite the fact the model's been superseded once already, I can't see anything out there I want so when the contract ends I'll save a tenner a month and shift to a £20 giffgaff chip.

I'm kinda curious as to what they're going to pull out of the bag next.  There does seem to be a limit on what you can do with a rectangular slab of chips and screen.
  • I wonder how phone companies are going to deal with Apples new Upgrade program, where you buy the phone over a two year term at 0% interest, but get to upgrade the phone every year. All you do is add a Sim only contract or pay as you go of your choice. I did the calcs and it very much undercuts the network operators, especially as apple care comes with the upgrade program.