Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anybody else moved from Android over to the dark side ...?

What's Hot

Comments

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 544
    randella said:

I'm kinda curious as to what they're going to pull out of the bag next.  There does seem to be a limit on what you can do with a rectangular slab of chips and screen.
    The biggest issue for the next gen is going to be battery performance.There was a battery manufacturer on the wireless the other day reckons there wont any major advances in battery technology for at least another 5 years.The recent Samsung issue was a result of them pushing the current technology beyond its limits.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had the Nexus 4 and 5 and now the 5x. 
    Raw Android, simple and fast. 
    Not keen on apple. Tried a laptop once and we know how that went.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Danny1969 said:

They do definitely do seem to have run out of idea's now. The iPhone 7 doesn't seem to be able to boast much at all over the 6S
    They're actually hard to tell apart in the shop. My daughter went looking for a 6S the other day and had to ask the staff which one it was, in the sea of 7s. Until we realised that you should be able to tell because it rather usefully has a headphone socket…

It was useful research for me too - I have discovered that I can actually stand the SE, in case my 4S dies or becomes too obsolete.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I am currently iPhone 6 128gb, as a phone I am not fussed what I have and get on with them all.. its the music and photography apps that keeps me on iOS
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16793
    I am currently using my wife's old 5C  after she upgraded a couple of months back.  My Windows phone would no longer get through a day.  I was android about 4 years ago but have had 2 windows phones since then. 3 if you count the work one I still have.

the iPhone is fine now I am used to it.  It's nice to have properly supported apps.

i am due an upgrade now, but I might just go sim only and stick with the old iPhone.  
  • Sporky said:
    I got given an iPhone with the new job. It works. It's not as well integrated as Android (I had a Nexus 4) and you've less opportunity to tailor it to how you want it, but it's not dreadful.

I'd still rather have Android overall.

I agree. 

But the condition is bones android -touchwiz and sense and stuff are all utterly shit, just slow down a good piece of software. 

Bit like buying a Dell computer. Windows is alright but it's not good when Dell keep bugging. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    edited October 2016
    bobblehat said:
    randella said:

I'm kinda curious as to what they're going to pull out of the bag next.  There does seem to be a limit on what you can do with a rectangular slab of chips and screen.
    The biggest issue for the next gen is going to be battery performance.There was a battery manufacturer on the wireless the other day reckons there wont any major advances in battery technology for at least another 5 years.The recent Samsung issue was a result of them pushing the current technology beyond its limits.
    They should be able to improve battery life a bit with newer processors.  As they miniaturise the components on the chips they get more efficient in their energy use.

I don't know so much about processors used in phones, but the 7th gen Intel Core Series (Kaby Lake) i7 has a power consumption of 4.5W:
    http://ark.intel.com/products/95441/Intel-Core-i7-7Y75-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

A 6th gen (Skylake) is 15W:
    http://ark.intel.com/products/91169/Intel-Core-i7-6660U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

Given that energy efficiency is already a major thing for mobile phone processors they may not be able to cut power by two thirds but I would expect significant improvements.

The other thing they could do is make the phone 1mm thicker and use a bigger battery.  Can't see Apple doing it, but I can see an Android manufacturer going that route.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26772
    edited October 2016
    I have, kinda. I've got a full set of Apple kit for website testing - iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPad Air, iPad Retina, Mac Mini.

I hate all of them.

It's not just the fact that they're dumbed down to hell and treat the user like an idiot child, but for me the biggest irritation is that their browsers are the most bone-headed, standards-defying bollocks I've ever come across (yes, they sorta-kinda implement the HTML5 spec, but CSS3 is fairly idiosyncratic and none of them play right when complex Javascript comes into the frame).

Apple might have a few good ideas when it comes to hardware (I regard their chiclet keyboards as the best ever made), but I can't think of their software as anything but a piece of malware. People drool over it and inevitably buy one, but it's just a collection of mild irritations. A bit like a slightly irksome rash; not enough to send me into a full rage all of the time (unless I'm fighting with their browsers), but definitely enough to get up my nose a fair bit.

I shall now wait patiently for Danny to tell me I'm wrong.
    <space for hire>
    crunchman said:

The other thing they could do is make the phone 1mm thicker and use a bigger battery.  Can't see Apple doing it, but I can see an Android manufacturer going that route.
    I don't understand the push for extreme thinness at all. It makes the phone harder to hold, easier to break, and restricts the size of the battery - without making it any easier to get into a pocket.

I can understand the push for bigger screens slightly more, but not to the point I actually like them. The iPhone 4S is still the perfect size and shape, for me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    crunchman said:

I don't understand the push for extreme thinness at all. It makes the phone harder to hold, easier to break, and restricts the size of the battery - without making it any easier to get into a pocket.

I can understand the push for bigger screens slightly more, but not to the point I actually like them. The iPhone 4S is still the perfect size and shape, for me.
    Agree on the screen size.  I'm using a Samsung S5 Mini.  I could have got something bigger but I didn't want to.  This fits in my pocket nicely.

It also has a removable battery so I'm planning to keep it for 4 or 5 years all being well.  When the battery gets bad I'll just replace the battery.  If I do need to replace the phone I won't be buying one of the newer Samsungs as the battery is not removable.  There are some quite decent looking LGs with replaceable batteries.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12681
    I've got some Samsung Note thing as a work phone - my own phone is a iPhone 5.

The big issue I have with the Samsung is, its fucking huge... I mean, it just doesn't fit in a pocket. For me the whole point of a mobile phone was that it fitted in my pocket so I could carry it everywhere - the iphone 5 does that. I deliberately didn't take the 6 "upgrade" because of its physical size... the Samsung is so big, I have to carry it in a bag.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248

Apple might have a few good ideas when it comes to hardware (I regard their chiclet keyboards as the best ever made...)

It's ok - yesterday they killed that in the name of thinness too :(
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Apple might have a few good ideas when it comes to hardware (I regard their chiclet keyboards as the best ever made...)

Well, fuck. They couldn't even get that right.
    <space for hire>
  • randellarandella Frets: 4269

Apple might have a few good ideas when it comes to hardware (I regard their chiclet keyboards as the best ever made...)

Just had a quick look at the Apple site and it seems it's only the Magic (i.e. wireless) keyboard they've boned.  Thank Christ, once my work keyboard (full-size Apple job with numeric keypad) expires I'd have been in a whole heap of trouble as I can't physically type on anything else these days.
    Apple keys have keys in the wrong places the " character should be over the 2.  They have that and the @ character the wrong way round.  They also have no Delete key - only a backspace.  That just wound me up all the time until I got rid of my Macbook Pro. 

I think they are making a bad decision selling the new one without a conventional USB port as well.
  • crunchman said:
    Apple keys have keys in the wrong places the " character should be over the 2.  They have that and the @ character the wrong way round.  They also have no Delete key - only a backspace.  That just wound me up all the time until I got rid of my Macbook Pro. 

I think they are making a bad decision selling the new one without a conventional USB port as well.
    True that they use the US layout, but I touch-type so it's not really an issue for me.

However, mine is a full-size keyboard (the A1243), and it does have the Delete key in the usual place.
    <space for hire>
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    It's not really fair to judge Android based on Samsung alone.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26772
    edited October 2016
    holnrew said:
    It's not really fair to judge Android based one Samsung model alone out of dozens.
    Fixed that for you.
    <space for hire>
    crunchman said:

True that they use the US layout, but I touch-type so it's not really an issue for me.

However, mine is a full-size keyboard (the A1243), and it does have the Delete key in the usual place.
    Same here. Best keyboard ever.

The one a couple of generations before that - the Pro Keyboard - with the semi-transparent black keys was very good too, I've still got one which I kept when they changed to the white-key one which wasn't as nice.

Losing the USB ports is annoying, I very often use those rather than faffing around behind the computer.

It seems Apple have taken the Duchess Of Windsor's famous saying that "you can never be too rich or too thin" at face value, and it was never true anyway...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248
    randella said:

Just had a quick look at the Apple site and it seems it's only the Magic (i.e. wireless) keyboard they've boned.  Thank Christ, once my work keyboard (full-size Apple job with numeric keypad) expires I'd have been in a whole heap of trouble as I can't physically type on anything else these days.
    I'm not sure about the standalone keyboards, but the new MBP has the silly butterfly keyboard which is very pretty and half the thickness but just isn't pleasant to type on. 

I don't need a separate keyboard full stop but I might get a pro one now in advance of its inevitable discontinuation..  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires