Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anybody else moved from Android over to the dark side ...?

What's Hot

Comments

• The imacs desperately need an update. 

They still use spinning disk drives! The surcharge for a now very affordable ssd is insane. Hybrid drives were excellent -three years ago. 

Honestly, I was really hoping for an imac refresh. I wanted an srgb correct 24" display (the perfect size imo - 27" is a bit big, 21.5" is a bit small), a good keyboard and mouse, updated processors and ram (modern ddr4 and fucking more of it -ram is cheap) and an ssd as standard, with pci-e ssd/m.2 available as an upgrade. 

As it is, the macbook pro outperforms the 21.5 inch imac thanks to having an ssd and a more recent processor architecture. Way to go, apple -photography was a big market for you but with the surface book and surface studio around...

Anyway, back to phones... I'm on the lookout as my nexus four is finally dying a bit. My girlfriend has the s5 neo and that's amazing when it's good, but typically of other Samsung phones, has go-slow moments and touchwiz is a pain. 

What are the best bones android models? I was hoping for price slashes on the nexus 6p but it's a bit big and a bit thin - is it snappable? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28668
    I'm amazed people rate the Apple keyboards - have you lot never tried anything with proper mechanical microswitches?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Sporky said:
    I'm amazed people rate the Apple keyboards - have you lot never tried anything with proper mechanical microswitches?
    er... like my Apple keyboard you mean?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26742
    edited October 2016

Way to go, apple -photography was a big market for you but with the surface book and surface studio around...
    To be fair, the Surface Studio isn't even close to being in the same market segment as the iMac - the cheapest one is about £2,500 and the top-spec one is over £4,000 (and neither of those include the fancy accessories like the dial). That puts it more in Mac Pro territory.

Sporky said:
    It depends what you like; I prefer light-action, low-travel keys because I tend to spend the whole day typing and they just make my fingers ache less.
    <space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28668
    edited October 2016
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Sporky said:

Don't make me no-true-Scotsman you.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • As a touch typist I really do miss my old cherry keyboard.
    But for 15 years now I could not do without my massive Microsoft ergonomic keyboard.
    Modern equivalents are just so light and flimsy and key action just so vague.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I've only ever had iPhones, but I'm sure I'd be happy enough with android, you use the apps, not the OS really, and the majority of apps I use most are available on both.

• Way to go, apple -photography was a big market for you but with the surface book and surface studio around...
    To be fair, the Surface Studio isn't even close to being in the same market segment as the iMac - the cheapest one is about £2,500 and the top-spec one is over £4,000 (and neither of those include the fancy accessories like the dial). That puts it more in Mac Pro territory.

Sporky said:
    It depends what you like; I prefer light-action, low-travel keys because I tend to spend the whole day typing and they just make my fingers ache less.

True -but Apple could have actually undercut Microsoft massively by cutting the junk loads of people won't need. 

Imagine imacs in 24 inch 4k ish resolution, colour calibrated out of the box, 16gb - 64gb ram (user upgradeable to avoid the apple shafting), a small graphics card (not for games at high res but perhaps enough to make video rendering not a pain), latest Intel processors (i5 base model, up to i7) and 256gb, 512gb and 1tb ssd options. 

That would absolutely destroy sales of the surface studio as it's a good size (hopefully they'd use a nice ratio, like 3:2 or 4:3) for creating, small enough to stow away on a desk nicely and no bullshit features . It'll be a while before Apple or Microsoft equal Wacom in the graphics tablet pen requirements, so don't beat it -reduce costs to give a great base system for folk to plug the wacom they already have into it. 

Pure fantasy though. 

They could even have a 27 inch version imac pro -bigger, workstation graphics and i7 6800 processors with a pci-e hard drive. Expensive, but videographers would lap it up. 
  • I bought an app on my Nexus phone. How to copy to my Nexus tablet? Will google later
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited October 2016
    I worked on the power management circuits for two Samsung phones! Not the ones that blew up... Lol..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    I bought an app on my Nexus phone. How to copy to my Nexus tablet? Will google later
    If it's on the same Google account you should just be able to download it onto the tablet from the Play Store without paying.  In my experience, apps go with accounts not devices.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2568
    edited October 2016
    I currently have a iPhone 6S 64gb. It's the best phone I've owned to date. I'm not a fanboy of android or iOS and have switched between the two for years. I can't identify what it is why the 6S is perfect for me but it is. I can only praise what works. Camera is fantastic, I love the music player, apps work, it's fast and it fits my hand perfectly. Links with my Mac Mini too. That's my experience.

Saying that I have been looking at the One Plus Three recently. Mmmm.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Sporky said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Sporky said:

Don't make me no-true-Scotsman you.

:D
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    Can anyone advise.

ive been an iPhone user for years but as of now I'm able to upgrade. I've been looking at the Samsung 7 Edge as an upgrade. Yes, I know it's a big phone but my main issue is that I have spent hundreds on ITunes and i don't know if this is lost money if I move away from the apple brand.

Does anyone know if this is right?
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I've pretty much always used Android,  apart from the iPod Touch, iPhone 5s and iPad Mini I have had in the past. I like iOS, but there is just too much you can't do, the main thing being proper file management. I've had quite a few phones and tablets over the past few years. 

HTC One X - First Smartphone. 
    HTC One M7 - I dropped the One X. 
    OnePlus One - The One M7 was stolen from our Villa in Lanzarote. 
    Oppo F1 Plus - I left my OnePlus in a Taxi in Malaysia. 
    iPhone 5s - Dad's Old Phone, used while waiting for a OnePlus Invite. 
    iPod Touch 3rd Gen - First Smart Device while I still had a Dumb Phone. 
    iPad Mini 1st Gen - Won free in a competition. 
    Asus Transformer Prime - Bought this as a replacement for the iPod Touch when it died. 
    Nexus 7 2nd Gen - Also won free in a seperate competition the same week I won the iPad. 

I find that iOS is a lot better on a tablet than Android, but for a phone I have to have Android. 

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7552
    Yes if you have need of proper (computer like) file management iOS is likely to always be a compromise.

That said, the way apps are now able to pass files between them, plus the way iCloud Drive now shows up as its own app seem to cater for any of the things I can think of.

actually now I think about it there is one thing I rely on an app (rather than the OS) for and that is using the 'Documents 5' 3rd party app to download YouTube videos (e.g. that Pedal Show) to iPad to watch on the train.
    Red ones are better. 
  • Yes I have gone to android. It has its downsides but no longer being dependent on a fleshy meat bag is well worth the trade off. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    edited October 2016
    shaunm said:
    Can anyone advise.

ive been an iPhone user for years but as of now I'm able to upgrade. I've been looking at the Samsung 7 Edge as an upgrade. Yes, I know it's a big phone but my main issue is that I have spent hundreds on ITunes and i don't know if this is lost money if I move away from the apple brand.

You should still own the purchases so you can re-download them onto any iTunes-compatible device, including a PC - but I don't know if that includes Android phones. Or if you can get them onto a computer, you should be able to then export them as mp3s (unless they're older DRM-protected ones) and transfer to the phone.

If not just get an iPhone 6 - or a Plus if you want a big one - quick, before they stop making a decent phone with a headphone jack.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• shaunm said:
    Can anyone advise.

There are a few alternatives here:

http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-transfer-music-itunes-android-230232/

DoubleTwist seems to be the way forward, if you have a PC handy.
    <space for hire>
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455
    I came across a little trick the other day which a lot of people probable know but I didn't. I have always hated iTunes and the fact you have to connect the phone \ iPod \ iPad etc and then start iTunes - import a file and then sync the phone so the new mp3 actually goes on the phone ..... Then I realized if you drag the file straight onto the iPhone \ iPad \ iPod device on the left hand side it goes straight on there with none of that sync library rubbish, just drag and drop and it goes straight on your device. Neat!

I could add a headhone port to the iPhone 7 as it's the first one that's stereo and the speaker contacts are quite large and easy to make a circuit on .... just a case of wire the 3.5mm switched contacts in series with the speaker so inserting headphones would kill the speakers and tap the common ground and left \ right
    www.2020studios.co.uk