Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Think I'm going to be bandless...

What's Hot

Comments

• Last thing I bought was a (relativity inexpensive, thank heavens) amp as I thought we'd be gigging more. 
    TBH I still feel like selling everything except one electric, one acoustic, pedalboard (which I now never use) and amp. I used to play 8 hours a day when younger but these days it's about one if I'm lucky. Once the album is out I'll stick to this acoustic trio I'm in (and singing, too) but other than that I feel I'm wasting cash having all this gear and no band or desire, especially when there are big bills coming up, potential new car, house etc. I can now understand why folk sell guitars to raise cash!
    This is the total opposite from most folk as I buy more gear when I'm in a band and not the opposite!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16300
    NPP said:
    DrJazzTap said:
    I haven't gigged since 09. I keep meaning to get back into it. But my circumstances at the moment are taking priority. it has to be something you want to do imho.
    I play the guitar for a hobby and as a release from work. when it started to feel like a job it was time to knock it on the head. Still doesn't stop me doing stupid things like looking at fender prosonics!
    I've said this before but I'd really like to be in a non-gigging band where people play together for the fun of it without all the hassle and logistics involved in playing for other people. 
    My sister does amateur dramatics and they rehearse a play for a few weeks then do three nights in front of an audience at the village hall. Two or three times a year I think. I'd quite like that as a model for being in a band - we'd be a reggae band for four months, rock band for four months, Calypso metal covers for four months...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    edited October 2016 tFB Trader
    If you're hearts not in it, Make a clean break now on good terms. It'll be better for you AND the band in the long term.

Dont be that guy who moaned at rehearsals, didn't bother to learn the songs and didn't really put any effort in at the gigs.

Cause that reputation will follow you.

A few months off gigs and bands could well revitalise the whole thing for you.

Oh, and when you go to the meeting tonight, keep in mind that they are probably shitting themselves having to 'pull you up on this' so it might be best to save them some anguish and state your position first. It'll probably relieve the tension, you can all have a beer and part on good terms.

And then you can all concentrate on your next musical adventures.

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    Hardly even pick up a guitar much these days despite still buying them..........Spend a lot of time on here talking about them though 
    I get the feeling that quite a lot of guys spend more time on here than actually playing :)

@Monquixote everything about your post says you just need a break from gigging, particularly comparing your post here with your enthusiastic ones about C25K. Perhaps your heart lies elsewhere at the moment. I think most musos go through that at some time or other.

If you sing you could perhaps consider doing some solo work next year, where you choose the material and don't have quite the same pressures and commitment as in a band. It also pays better......

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah... You don't get to melt people's faces off but acoustic gigs with some backing vox is what I'm looking at doing - something different! For the real men lol.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    Yeah... You don't get to melt people's faces off but acoustic gigs with some backing vox is what I'm looking at doing - something different! For the real men lol.
    It will feel like it when you see what your fingertips look like after two sets with an acoustic :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    NPP said:
    DrJazzTap said:
    I haven't gigged since 09. I keep meaning to get back into it. But my circumstances at the moment are taking priority. it has to be something you want to do imho.
    I play the guitar for a hobby and as a release from work. when it started to feel like a job it was time to knock it on the head. Still doesn't stop me doing stupid things like looking at fender prosonics!
    I've said this before but I'd really like to be in a non-gigging band where people play together for the fun of it without all the hassle and logistics involved in playing for other people. 
    That's what I currently do - that said with various house moves, children and weddings etc it hasn't happened much this year. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • That's why I switched to 11s and got you to lower the action @ICBM but yeah, gonna be tough!
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    ICBM said:
    Yeah... You don't get to melt people's faces off but acoustic gigs with some backing vox is what I'm looking at doing - something different! For the real men lol.
    It will feel like it when you see what your fingertips look like after two sets with an acoustic :).
    At first yes, but after playing two sets regularly it feels normal. Then picking up an electric with 10s feels like you are playing rubber bands.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    Jimbro66 said:
    ICBM said:
    At first yes, but after playing two sets regularly it feels normal. Then picking up an electric with 10s feels like you are playing rubber bands.
    That's why I use 11s on both. It just feels right like that. Admittedly I do apparently play electric like it's an acoustic and acoustic like it's an electric...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17668
    tFB Trader
    The deed is done.

I am a free agent.
  • Details!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3334
    edited October 2016
    You're too good a guitarist to stop playing, and you won't, but it sounds like you need a break. You'll miss it and come back with a vengeance, maybe even playing differently.

If you want a different focus, have you got any recording gear? Why not try writing or recoding yourself to see where you're at. If you want a focus, try doing Octatonic's "Song A Day" challenge on stuff you want to get under your belt.

All the best with whatever you do and don't lose heart. Kids and family are great too and enjoy that :)
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    Well done. you did the right thing.

A friend of mine has set up something called bandaoke. I think the intention is to have people who are willing to step in and dep in rotating bands. 

Ironically a guy who used to agitate me the most in my last band. Mainly due to his lax attitude, time keeping and overall musical ability is now playing in a band who play some fairly prestigious venues in Bristol. To be fair to him, he did ask if I wanted to play guitar for one gig. I really didn't think much of his current band though and politely declined. He then tried telling me I should be playing for a living instead of being an adminstrator. which is fine, but i wasn't given a trust fund to live on like him. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I've only done 3 gigs this year with my band (plus a couple of dep gigs with other bands) as I've somewhat lost the drive. Still go out to a jam night roughly once a week though, keeps my hand in without any of the administrative hassle.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    There's only three options now. 

Give up up for a while.
    Focus on something like others have said, learning new stuff, or recording. The composition challenges on here are a great way of focusing efforts.
    Spend your days comparing the minutiae of Klon Klones!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Start a metal band!
    tFB Trader
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Start a metal band!
    I would really enjoy that actually. 

Haven't played any full on rock for a while. Only problem is that finding non shit metal bands is tricky.
    tFB Trader
    Details!
    Zero drama.

Ended up being just me and the singer.

Both agreed there was no point me doing it if I wasn't having fun so that was that.

• No probs. Why didn't the rest turn up?
    Somebody wow'd my details post - sorry if I was too forward. When I went through the same I got it all out lol. Enjoy a break!