Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Think I'm going to be bandless...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31659
    I gave up for eight years once, not just gigging, but playing too. I only started again when I had to find a way to earn money in a country where I didn't speak the language and it's been most and occasionally all of my income ever since.

Wedding gigs kill a lot of bands because 8/10 of them are so hateful. We doubled our price for weddings in January simply because we hate them, but our bookings pretty well doubled too, unfortunately.

I kind of know how you're feeling at the moment, I usually have an originals project on the go to maintain some sanity, but haven't done that for two years either.

Don't sweat it, go away and spend some time with the kids, there are more important things in life than covers bands.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72607
    p90fool said:

Wedding gigs kill a lot of bands because 8/10 of them are so hateful. We doubled our price for weddings in January simply because we hate them, but our bookings pretty well doubled too, unfortunately.
    Because of the assumption that you get what you pay for… you just doubled the quality of your band :).

I very briefly joined a wedding band. After one gig I decided that no realistic amount of money was enough to do it again, and I was disagreeing too much with the singer anyway, so we parted company by mutual agreement!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    p90fool said:

Because of the assumption that you get what you pay for… you just doubled the quality of your band :).

That's exactly what has happened!
    To be fair, we've had a few fantastic wedding gigs this year, but the bad ones are really soul-destroying.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    p90fool said:
    ICBM said:
    p90fool said:

To be fair, we've had a few fantastic wedding gigs this year, but the bad ones are really soul-destroying.
    Check your 'I make money through music' privilege! ;)
    Drew_TNBD said:
    p90fool said:
    ICBM said:
    p90fool said:

Check your 'I make money through music' privilege! ;)
    Lol that's why they're soul destroying, I can't afford not to do them!
    Yeah for realz. In a similar situation myself - if I wanted to change things up, I literally couldn't. Can't afford a pay cut.
    Drew don't let it pressure you though, you'd be amazed at how you find a way when you have a family. 
    We shall see what the future brings!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455
    I did a wedding last night for £1550 ..... I played exactly the same music and style of guitar as I do in pubs every week. Putting on a suite and setting up in the morning adds a grand which is fine by me, I enjoy playing weddings. 

I have just quit my Thin Lizzy tribute band. Mainly cos the money was shite and the setlist was never gonna change. I know being dead is no obstacle to selling records but it can hamper the writing of new material

That still leaves me in 6 bands and dep'ing for another 2. I've been lucky, all the guys I work with really are good muso's and good people and that makes gig'ing a pleasure. This is the busiest I've ever been gigging and at the moment I couldn't imagine a better job
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8754
    p90fool said:
    I gave up for eight years once, not just gigging, but playing too.
    That's very common. I gave up for 11 years, from when we got married until the children were able to entertain themselves.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27674
    The deed is done.

I am a free agent.
    So that's you, me & Phil.

Just need a drummer ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    The deed is done.

Sad and glad all in one sentence.