Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

BMW drivers

What's Hot
DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3925
Are definitely knob heads now. NCD. 2009  325d (3.0) LCI MSport. Something like 400NM of torque and easily mapped to 480NM apparently.
It feels like it's got a nuclear warhead attached to it, it's that powerful (particularly to my outgoing Honda Civic). My first Beemer and I'm sold. Watch out West Oxfordshire. There's a new big knob head out there  :#

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ju3juxlcmcssu02/20161028_081405.jpg?raw=1

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16776
    I borrowed a fancy white one from work a few weeks back.

I think I drove as I normally do, I only had it for a day.  But it did seem everyone else treated me differently in the assumption I was a knob head.  No one let me out at junctions and everyone seemed to be really inconsiderate with road positioning.  The knock on effect was I had to drive like a knob to actually get anywhere.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3925
    Interesting Wez. Joking aside, I'm not experiencing any negativity at the moment. I drove it to Lincoln and back last night/this morning and if anything I feel the ability to safely/effortlessly overtake the majority of other vehicles compared to my old car has made me a more relaxed driver. It's an auto too, so it's difficult not to fall asleep when you're just cruising to be honest. 
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2568
    edited October 2016
    BMW? Fantastic.

Bikes included?

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I thought BMW drivers have been demoted. Audi drivers are the new knob heads.

Nice car by the one.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • derndern Frets: 357
    I've had a 2005 535d for four and a half years as the family car. Effortless cruising and towing...

Not the most fun car to drive in the world but it's not too bad.
  • derndern Frets: 357
    cruxiform said:
    BMW? Fantastic.

Bikes included?
    Just had the one, a 1150GS. It was dull but competent to ride but the throttle response off a closed throttle was extremely poor and the reliability was pitiful. The low point was the horn deciding to go off in the middle of town for no reason while I'm riding along. Far too complicated for what it was. This was the same age as my five series but with far fewer miles. Wouldn't choose one to go round the world on that's for sure. Maybe it was just mine.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2568
    dern said:
    cruxiform said:
    BMW? Fantastic.

Bikes included?
    Just had the one, a 1150GS. It was dull but competent to ride but the throttle response off a closed throttle was extremely poor and the reliability was pitiful. The low point was the horn deciding to go off in the middle of town for no reason while I'm riding along. Far too complicated for what it was. This was the same age as my five series but with far fewer miles. Wouldn't choose one to go round the world on that's for sure. Maybe it was just mine.
    Mine is a K1200S but my friend has a 1150GS and absolutely loves it. Done loads of miles on it all over Europe. I guess he got a good one but bikes can be very personal. If they don't suit the rider then in my experience they never will. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33837
    edited October 2016
    Congrats... what options does it have?
    I like a beemer.... or four.

Current garage:

I don't get any hassle from anyone- I thought most of dick drivers had moved to Audi something like 10 years ago.
  • Do you guys but these straight out or get finance?
    edited October 2016
    Do you guys but these straight out or get finance?
    Cars are on PCP or lease as they get replaced ever 3-4 years.
    Bikes are cash as I turn them over more often- usually every 6-12 months.
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
    ...as long as you can get a 4x12 in the back, surely that's all that matters....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Bikes are definitely included! Never owned one but worked on many over the years.
    @octatonic it has black leather, adaptive headlights, M sport wheel, anthracite headlining, M door sills, PDC (parking thingy) and the idrive system.
    It's on run flats which I've heard bad things about but I don't feel it at the moment so I'll be sticking with them. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8754
    edited October 2016
    monkey42 said:
    ...as long as you can get a 4x12 in the back, surely that's all that matters....
    You can get a PA (desk, stands, speakers and sub), lighting rig, two guitars, amp and cab, pedal board, tool box, carpets and a few other things besides; and then drive in air-conditioned comfort.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Well that's the roads around Carterton a more ropey. Please just keep away from the 34. 

I hope you enjoy your new car. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Deadman said:
    Bikes are definitely included! Never owned one but worked on many over the years.
    @octatonic it has black leather, adaptive headlights, M sport wheel, anthracite headlining, M door sills, PDC (parking thingy) and the idrive system.
    It's on run flats which I've heard bad things about but I don't feel it at the moment so I'll be sticking with them. 
    Very nice.
    Does it have Sat Nav?

We have one car with run flats, one without.
    I prefer them without, especially if you drive in a 'spirited' fashion.
    I've got Pilot Super Sports on the M135i- they are excellent.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    I've had a 530D E39  for ten years - think about changing it but then can't think of a reason to.

Goes like stink, comfortable, owes me nothing. For a 16 year old car it's tight as, no rattles, no squeeks, costs me about £400 quid a year to keep going. it's ONLY got 122,000 miles on it, so it's just broken in :)

My mate wanted a cheap estate and I told him to go for an E39 - he did, he only wanted something while he did his house up. paid £800 for it. Still has it 3 years later.

Plus no all the knob heads drive Audi's... so being a 'BMW driver' is less of a thing, which is nice.
    I've heard that about normal over run flats. Hmmm, might have to have a rethink. I do love a good tyre, I think I've got a bit of a fetish for them to be honest. Yeah it's got satnav. Even plays dvds although only when the handbrake's on (bloody Germans!).

I'm going to have a look for some winter tyres in the coming weeks and have it booked in to BMW Oxford as it's due a service (full BMWSH) so I want to keep it up. I got it from a mate who's a VAG mechanic so I know it's a good 'un.
    Well that's the roads around Carterton a more ropey. Please just keep away from the 34. 

I hope you enjoy your new car. :)
    Oooo. I can't promise that I'm afraid Chris! I travel the 34 a lot. You're safe though, I normally do that in the pool car. A Fiesta diesel.
    edited October 2016
    Deadman said:
    I've heard that about normal over run flats. Hmmm, might have to have a rethink. I do love a good tyre, I think I've got a bit of a fetish for them to be honest. Yeah it's got satnav. Even plays dvds although only when the handbrake's on (bloody Germans!).

I'm going to have a look for some winter tyres in the coming weeks and have it booked in to BMW Oxford as it's due a service (full BMWSH) so I want to keep it up. I got it from a mate who's a VAG mechanic so I know it's a good 'un.
    That is a legal requirement, I think.
    The old systems you used to be able to clip the wires from the brake sensor (not the brake itself, just a sensor) and connect them so it thinks the brake is on all the time.
    Newer systems use an accelerometer to detect motion so you can't easily get around them.
    I've never done it (no, really)- I prefer to drive with as few distractions as possible.

North Oxford BMW are excellent- I get both cars and bikes serviced there and they have always been terrific.
    Not cheap, but good.

I'm going to see how I go without winter tyres this year- I had them on last year (on a 3 series that I got rid of back in May) but I don't think I really needed them. Where in West Oxon are you again?
    My mate knows a way apparently, possibly by going into the ecu? I'm not bothered either really. It'll probably never get used.
    Carterton. Not in the posh part like you  ;) But you know how much houses cost round here!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom