Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

BMW drivers

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28669
    Even ignoring snow I'd still put winters on - there's noticeably more grip in the cold and wet vs decent summer tyres.

And yet again, it's cost neutral because you're not wearing down your summer tyres.

If it snowed regularly then it'd be an absolute no-brainer, but even without snow they make a positive difference with no overall cost.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    edited November 2016
    I put Nokian Weatherproof tyres on our XC90 at the beginning of this year. Winter and Summer tyres in one.
    I was my normal skeptical self but so far they've been absolutely fine, definitely better than normal winter tyres in the summer (you can do that in a fat 4x4).
    https://www.nokiantyres.com/company/news-article/nokian-weatherproof-all-weather-tyres-safe-year-round-driving-comfort/
    If we get some snow this year I'll report back on how I got stuck/didn't get stuck.

Not sure if I'd put them on my BMW though..
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    The Continental Cross Contacts (I think that's the name) look interesting too - M&S rated summer tyres.
  • derndern Frets: 357
    Snap said:
    @octatonic ; -thats the point I was trying to make really: most people don't need them in this country. We don't get regular bad weather, and when we do get it, its only for a few days. That's why I think the whole thing (in the UK) is a marketing ploy.
    I think the point we were trying to make is that that is bollocks ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    The Continental Cross Contacts (I think that's the name) look interesting too - M&S rated summer tyres.
    Cross Contacts are summer only and not that good IMHO. The Nokian ones are unique as far as I last checked.
    They also work (well) in rain unlike most winter tyres. Which is my number one priority being a UK resident.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Sporky said:
    Even ignoring snow I'd still put winters on - there's noticeably more grip in the cold and wet vs decent summer tyres.

And yet again, it's cost neutral because you're not wearing down your summer tyres.

If it snowed regularly then it'd be an absolute no-brainer, but even without snow they make a positive difference with no overall cost.
    and the point I was making earlier is that for me its not cost neutral cos it is likely I would have changed my car before the tyres were due for replacement. Usually, I get away with one set of tyres. I get about 30k out of a set.

Aren't winter tyres noisier than "normal" tyres too? Cos of the different tread.
    FX_Munkee said:

They also work (well) in rain unlike most winter tyres. Which is my number one priority being a UK resident.
    hang on, I thought that was part of the point of winter tyres- grip. So now we have a concept of a tyre that is only extra useful in snow or mud, but worse than your standard tyres in rain.

I mean its not like we get much rain is it.....?

This man cries snake oil!

Get Rocker in the topic with his regulated mains for hifi.....

(no offence to Rocker, he's a good lad)
    oh,

I've just bought a replacement x6 for the one my neighbourly old dear wrote off.

the M5.0D

I might go through tyres more often now.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Snap said:
    FX_Munkee said:

hang on, I thought that was part of the point of winter tyres- grip. So now we have a concept of a tyre that is only extra useful in snow or mud, but worse than your standard tyres in rain.

I mean its not like we get much rain is it.....?

This man cries snake oil!

Get Rocker in the topic with his regulated mains for hifi.....

(no offence to Rocker, he's a good lad)
    Generally they're not as good in the wet as summer tyres, I assume due to having "blocks" as oppose to the "channels" that summer tyres use to disperse water.

BTW I drive a BMW 325D in winter on summer tyres, I simply adjust my driving to compensate for the lack of grip. I honestly think that everybody should have a go on crap tyres at some point, just so they can learn that a car is constantly sliding about on the tyres it's just matters of degrees.
    I did learn to drive in a RWD car on grass and mud so maybe that explains something?
    Snap said:

and the point I was making earlier is that for me its not cost neutral cos it is likely I would have changed my car before the tyres were due for replacement. Usually, I get away with one set of tyres. I get about 30k out of a set.

Aren't winter tyres noisier than "normal" tyres too? Cos of the different tread.
    Gotcha on the cost.

I don't think my winters were noticeably noisier. A bit boingier being 16s instead of 17s, but only a teeny bit.

I also found they were great in the rain - massive water displacement channels.