VW Tiguans Yay or Nay?

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30951
170BHP version, 2012 model. 2.0TDI

It's for the dog (I don't let her drive)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Yay .. excellent build quality so buying second hand makes perfect sense. Quite a few round here so they must be good.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/tiguan

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    Some years ago I was waiting for the missus outside the loos in a public car park. A car I'd never seen before came in and I watched it circle the car park a couple of times before parking. The driver then walked straight over to me and said, semi-accusingly, "I saw you watching my car". I replied "Yes, I was thinking it's one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen". His face was a picture. It was a Tiguan.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    Jimbro66 said:
    Some years ago I was waiting for the missus outside the loos in a public car park. A car I'd never seen before came in and I watched it circle the car park a couple of times before parking. The driver then walked straight over to me and said, semi-accusingly, "I saw you watching my car". I replied "Yes, I was thinking it's one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen". His face was a picture. It was a Tiguan.
    Are youa diplomat then?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    Gassage said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Are you a diplomat then?
    A graduate from the Trump school of diplomacy, no less.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248
    Pretty decent, if a bit dull. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    edited October 2016
    Pretty decent, if a bit dull. 
    Agree.
    If you want a fun car of this type then the Audio Q3RS is an absolute riot.

Why so big a car just for a dog?
    Most hatchbacks fit a dog just fine...(cough.. Audi S3 sportback... cough).
    I have our bulldog (smaller dog, admittedly) in the boot of the M135i and she is perfectly happy there.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4269
    edited October 2016
    Jimbro66 said:
    I dunno, I saw a Renault VelSatis the other day, now *that* was an ugly motor.

I've had a ride in a couple of Tiguans, seemed very nice and well screwed together much like the Golf with which it probably shares about 80% of its underpinnings. If I were a betting man I'd say that they're probably like every other recent VAG product I've had a bash at driving - very pleasant but for the horribly over-servoed brakes :) 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    edited October 2016
    My sister in law had one (2011 model). Nice but a bit boring (the car, not sister in law - she's fun but high maintenance) - quality product but no roomier than my Golf really. The new one looks quite cool and a bit meaner imo.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12434
    We did a test drive in one before we settled on the Jag. Thought it had very hard suspension tbh. Very crashy over bumpy surfaces. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    My niece has had three. Not remotely my kind of car - but very good quality.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3927
    I like the well specced ones. A friend has one in white with good looking alloys, leather etc. and I would gladly own it.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    @Gassage

had one as a hire car for a couple of weeks, it just struck me as a totally pointless car. Neither here nor there. But, I am not a fan of imitation 4x4s, especially small ones. If it was me, I'd get a good estate car instead. Nice 3 series perhaps.

@deadman

white cars - no way. Especially white SUvs - look like ambulances.

I hate white cars with a passion.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3927
    Red ones are Postman Pat vans and black ones hearses then?  ;)
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    I've got a 2013 model and I love it, had plenty of sports cars over the years and plenty 4x4's and this is one of my faves.
    Not too big so awkward to park anywhere etc, not too small, get my band gear in easy, plenty of room for my dog either on back seat or in boot. Comfy, get about 42 mpg, relaxed drive, have leather and panoramic sunroof (excellent).
    Been totally reliable, boring to look at ? not from the front, dull to drive ? nothing exciting but very easy going.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    edited October 2016
    Wife bought one new a few years back. Did 30K miles and never needed a penny spending on it, not even tyres. Cost 19K, and sold it for 14K 3 years later. Not very exciting to drive, but quite a nice size and was great in the bad winter of 2010.  
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    edited October 2016
    Can't you just walk your dog like most people do? I'm sure a trip in a car isn't sufficient exercise for a Canine.

I'd take a Toerag over the Tiguan. Or sticking to the VW theme how about an Amorak?
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28735
    Snap said:
    I am not a fan of imitation 4x4s, especially small ones.
    A Tiggy will happily drive over ground you can't walk across. Bung some M&S tyres on, have a couple of offroad lessons and you'll get one through trails that most people would think only a Defender or Disco would handle.

'Course, a Yeti is better still. More fun on road, more capable off.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248
    OFFROAD!!!!

Bt srsly, they're a fair chunk more capable in conditions that all but 14 of them will ever be required to cope with. I'd guess ground clearance would be an issue on "proper" offroad conditions, but anything normal people would throw at it would be fine. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8025
    randella said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    I dunno, I saw a Renault VelSatis the other day, now *that* was an ugly motor.

I've had a ride in a couple of Tiguans, seemed very nice and well screwed together much like the Golf with which it probably shares about 80% of its underpinnings. If I were a betting man I'd say that they're probably like every other recent VAG product I've had a bash at driving - very pleasant but for the horribly over-servoed brakes :) 
    A friend of mine bought a VelSatis, he thought it might be a future classic. It been slowly falling to bits, he's really struggling finding parts, and keeping it on the road. Nightmare car. And, bloody ugly too. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28735

Bt srsly, they're a fair chunk more capable in conditions that all but 14 of them will ever be required to cope with. I'd guess ground clearance would be an issue on "proper" offroad conditions, but anything normal people would throw at it would be fine. 
    You need to plan a lot more than in something more serious, but the Yeti completed Swedish 4x4 magazine's full offroad course, which has stopped some of the "proper" offroaders with difflocks...

More to the point, the extra bit of ground clearance means no scrapes on the sort of potholed tracks that lead to the good dog walking spots around here.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."