Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The amp quest that never seems to end...what do I want?

What's Hot

Comments

• erky32 said:
    Hot Rod Deluxe ticks all the boxes? ....I've started to use one all the time, lives up to its reputation!
    It's definitely on my radar. I wish they did a head version. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting on the Screamer @professorben - I just presumed they were mostly metal-geared amps \m/

Any more fans of the Rockerverb?

Far from it, well, being an Engl it has more gain than anyone could want, but it does do subtle too, I'm currently using the clean side pushed with pedals as my rhythm tone and the drive side as a lead boost. 

Id id say it's one of the more versatile Engls, in that it's not all arctic clean and metal filth.  there are grades of grit in it. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    edited November 2016
    Sounds like your describing a Victory V40 with a good drive pedal like an OCD to me

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bomp-de-bomp, @RandallFlagg ;

V40 sounds very interesting. I shall investigate.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Laney Lionheart
  • Laney Lionhearted
    I don't really know much about these.  Any particular reason you would recommend it, @MattBanshee ?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 683
    Not to shamelessly plug a sale but.......
    Have you looked at Rivera? I have a Rake head I'm moving on, fender cleans right through to hot rodded marshall. Switchable boosts on both channels, effects loop.

• ftumch said:
    Not to shamelessly plug a sale but.......
    Have you looked at Rivera? I have a Rake head I'm moving on, fender cleans right through to hot rodded marshall. Switchable boosts on both channels, effects loop.

Tell me more...

My band, Red For Dissent
    edited November 2016
    Whereabouts are you @imalrightjack?
    It really covers a lot of ground but it's just too much for my needs sadly.
    Selectable ohm switch, modern/vintage switch which is pentode triode mode-55w-35w.
    Active serial effects loop with send/return levels.
    It does sparkly cleans, edge of breakup up to heavy rock marshall.
    It's a bit tatty but it sounds fantastic. Also have the matching cab.
    Oh and it has reverb too.
  • ftumch said:
    Whereabouts are you @imalrightjack?
    It really covers a lot of ground but it's just too much for my needs sadly.
    Selectable ohm switch, modern/vintage switch which is pentode triode mode-55w-35w.
    Active serial effects loop with send/return levels.
    It does sparkly cleans, edge of breakup up to heavy rock marshall.
    It's a bit tatty but it sounds fantastic. Also have the matching cab.
    Oh and it has reverb too.
    Near Carlisle  

My band, Red For Dissent
    Hmmmm couldn't be much further away really. 
    I'd recommend trying one out if you can.
  • Interesting on the Screamer @professorben - I just presumed they were mostly metal-geared amps \m/

Far from it, well, being an Engl it has more gain than anyone could want, but it does do subtle too, I'm currently using the clean side pushed with pedals as my rhythm tone and the drive side as a lead boost. 

Id id say it's one of the more versatile Engls, in that it's not all arctic clean and metal filth.  there are grades of grit in it. 
    I have to admit I was dead impressed with the engl screamer when I tried it a long time ago
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I always find it best to find an amp that sounds good on its own then build a pedal board to match. Pedal builders eq their pedal to their own ear with their preferred amp setup. Chances are it won't be the same as yours. I ditched over half my board when I got my new amp which is definitely a keeper. I'd happily gig it with and without any pedals

I have to admit I was dead impressed with the engl screamer when I tried it a long time ago
    It's a bit of a gem in the range, pretty far from the Djent crowd. 
  • @ICBM doesn't rate the Engl's build quality and I trust his judgement, so that's off the list. But does anybody have any thoughts on anything which ticks the above boxes and would also be capable of being pushed into old school thrash sounds?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • @ICBM doesn't rate the Engl's build quality and I trust his judgement, so that's off the list. But does anybody have any thoughts on anything which ticks the above boxes and would also be capable of being pushed into old school thrash sounds?
    Yeah but what does he know eh? 
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3774
    edited November 2016
    @ICBM doesn't rate the Engl's build quality and I trust his judgement, so that's off the list. But does anybody have any thoughts on anything which ticks the above boxes and would also be capable of being pushed into old school thrash sounds?
    Yeah but what does he know eh? 
    As I suspect you know, he's forgotten more than I'll ever know...and his advice has never let me down yet.  He might care to comment.  Come on down, @ICBM ;

My band, Red For Dissent
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72566
    :) If you're asking, the first problem I came across was the PCB-mounted output transformer which had fried itself and burned out the incredibly thin PCB traces - a unique to Engl one which had to fit the PCB pin footprint, unless I wanted to heavily modify the amp to fit a better quality one. Ruled out due to cost. The next problem was the length of time and the cost of getting a new one from Engl...

I've also come across several issues with valve sockets and rectifier diodes on other models, also involving PCB damage because the traces are too thin. Just not that well-made really. Disappointing given they appear solid from the outside and sound very good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks, @ICBM. Anything to add to help aid my search? Any views on Victory?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • I was taking the mick  ;)