Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The amp quest that never seems to end...what do I want?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBM said:
    :) If you're asking, the first problem I came across was the PCB-mounted output transformer which had fried itself and burned out the incredibly thin PCB traces - a unique to Engl one which had to fit the PCB pin footprint, unless I wanted to heavily modify the amp to fit a better quality one. Ruled out due to cost. The next problem was the length of time and the cost of getting a new one from Engl...

I've also come across several issues with valve sockets and rectifier diodes on other models, also involving PCB damage because the traces are too thin. Just not that well-made really. Disappointing given they appear solid from the outside and sound very good.
    that will do me. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72572
    I'd like to say it was the most important thing too, but when your great-sounding amp blows up and hence becomes useless, it really isn't. You can get great-sounding amps which are also well-made and reliable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • danbandanban Frets: 343
    Vox?
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    I had the 4x10 Renegade, which I regret selling a bit. Have you considered a Bogner Shiva? It became the next best thing to the Renegade for me (until I bought a Badcat that is). Foot switchable clean/drive/boost. FX loop. Only real downside is the weight. I could be persuaded to sell mine... (shameless plug!) ;)
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Whoever suggested Mesa was bang on the money.

You are describing the Express 5:25 or the Mark Five: 25. Or, in fact, the Rectoverb 25.

Any of them would be all the amp you'd ever need, I reckon.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • @Bucket I'm going to have to get out and try one.  I suspect the Mark Five will be out of my price range though :(  What did you think of the reverb on the Rectoverb?

Any more opinions on the V40?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7929
    Tone king imperial 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11965

My band is a blues/rock/jazz/hard to pin down kind of sound.

What I'm looking for:
    • A really nice, open clean sound that takes pedals really well but also a sound that can be used on its own or with a bit of digital delay (a nice built-in reverb would be good);
    • An FX loop to plug in my T-Rex Soulmate, which I believe must be serial (OD, Distortion, Delay, Reverb, Boost, Tuner - it puts only the delay/reverb in the loop, if I recall correctly);
    • When playing live, I like to be able to go from the clean sound to a nice breaking up sound that isn't going into distortion realms but has some grit, then up to full-on natural feedback/saturated Santana-esque sounds;
    • With the right amp, I'd happily ditch the soul mate and just get a digital delay (I'm not sure I even need that) - but I do need several gain stages;
    • A nice reverb is a huge plus.
    I think I prefer head and cab for transport purposes (and I can leave a cab at my regular rehearsal spot and bring the head home/take it to other bands with my home cab).

This sounds like a  good description of the Ceriatone  Bluesmaster 50 HRM, the way I dial mine in (It's a late-model-Dumble clone)

Blackface  Clean sounds, works well with Alnico speakers
    OD  pedal switch just adds a little grit (does not have to be set up  to be like Santana)
    Boost  adds a little more to the OD, you can balance these. 
    Lots of tone shaping  switches, including  Bass/Mid/treble on the OD (you set this inside the amp, and leave it - so if you like a lot of OD with rolled off treble , or scooped, you can  get it)
    FX loop is standard

the "normal" HRM amp model is a bit of a  cleaner, less blackface sound,  the cleanest amp I have ever heard - into Steel Stringer territory. ALmost always used with EVM12 drivers

For home use, I think I should just get a Blackstar HT1R or something again, as I can do metal or whatever I like at usable volumes (I tend to play a lot of thrash at home).

I had a HT5,  after 1 week it sounded awful to me, just like a pedal into  a £20 amp

I'd say also consider an AxeFx  for home and stage, that could do everything you want, and be very portable
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I'd like to say it was the most important thing too, but when your great-sounding amp blows up and hence becomes useless, it really isn't. You can get great-sounding amps which are also well-made and reliable.
    That's a fair point, and if I were a gigging man (prob soon to be once more unfortunately) I would have a different set of priorities. 

Having said that, what sounds like an Engl that's more reliably built? 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Big amp prices are really coming down, have a look for a used Dual Rectifier.  You'll pick one up for less than a mini.  They are big, but sound great turned down low too
    professorben said:

Difficult if you want something that sounds *exactly* like the Engl - knowing how fussy guitarists are ;).

If you want something that sounds in that American/British rock/metal region - Mesa, VHT, Rivera, Peavey, Blackstar, Jet City, and Bugera all do amps which are in the same ballpark and are better made... just off the top of my head, there are probably more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    How about a Fender Supersonic? Can't say I've tried one but they have been on my radar for a while now! In demo videos they sound awesome for both clean and distorted tones, have fender reverb, fx loop, look great in the blonde colour and come in a range of sizes from a 22w combo to 60w head (I think). Even though I seem to favour British tones I've lusted after one for ages now.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    @Bucket I'm going to have to get out and try one.  I suspect the Mark Five will be out of my price range though :(  What did you think of the reverb on the Rectoverb?
    I've not properly tried the Rectoverb but have owned a Mark Five for a couple of years and also extensively tested the Express - which is the one I would probably recommend to you, as the gain channel is probably more versatile. While I'd recommend it to anyone, the Mark Five is very definitely a high-gain amp and the Express would likely cover more ground. Cheaper too.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Any Victory V30 fans? Wondering how diverse they are. The V40 looks and sounds great, from demos.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • ICBM said:
    professorben said:

Difficult if you want something that sounds *exactly* like the Engl - knowing how fussy guitarists are ;).

If you want something that sounds in that American/British rock/metal region - Mesa, VHT, Rivera, Peavey, Blackstar, Jet City, and Bugera all do amps which are in the same ballpark and are better made... just off the top of my head, there are probably more.
    With the exception of JC, I've tried or owned all of those, notably the Peavey and Mesa being the only amps to ever let me down on a gig. 

Experience vs perception etc.  ;)
    professorben said:

With the exception of JC, I've tried or owned all of those, notably the Peavey and Mesa being the only amps to ever let me down on a gig. 

Experience vs perception etc.  ;)
    Yes, it's all playing the odds really. The only amp I've ever had fail at a gig was an old Traynor - admittedly it was just a blown valve - and they're some of the best-built and most reliable amps ever made.

I also know people who have used Marshall DSLs for years and not had one fail. Which is amazing, when you see the rate they come through the shop, and why they break down. Any valve amp can fail through no fault of the amp. The difference is that some fail for reasons of poor design and build quality too.

I should probably have also mentioned Soldano, although I suspect they're out of your price range and you know roughly what the sound is like if you've had a Jet City. They're probably the best-built amps I can think of.

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Chris Sharpe has a v40, and I maybe know of a used Mini Mark V for sale locally in the next few weeks sir.
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1157
    edited November 2016
    Any Victory V30 fans? Wondering how diverse they are. The V40 looks and sounds great, from demos.
    I had a V30 for a short time. You have to compromise with the shared EQ. If you dial in a nice clean sound the overdrive channel suffers from being very dark and congested, and if you dial in a nice overdriven sound the clean channel is way too bright.
  • @kennedydream1980 That kills that then! The V40 looks more to my taste.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Any Victory V30 fans? Wondering how diverse they are. The V40 looks and sounds great, from demos.
    I had a V30 for a short time. You have to compromise with the shared EQ. If you dial in a nice clean sound the overdrive channel suffers from being very dark and congested, and if you dial in a nice overdriven sound the clean channel is way too bright.
    I've heard tell Martin Kidd likes darker sounding drives.