Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

People are getting fatter

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
    I'm not aware of weight lifters and ice hockey players being massive causing an increase in the size of their fans.

Mary Berry is a skinny little thing and I bet she's caused some weight increases though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I get told I am skinny although I am in the upper end of normal BMI*. Eventually we will move the BMI goalposts to account for the "new normal" and solve our problems overnight!

*(Yes I know BMI was designed for populations and is being abused, but it is not an unreasonable measure for most people of average height who are not bodybuilders etc)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I get told I am skinny although I am in the upper end of normal BMI*. Eventually we will move the BMI goalposts to account for the "new normal" and solve our problems overnight!

*(Yes I know BMI was designed for populations and is being abused, but it is not an unreasonable measure for most people of average height who are not bodybuilders etc)
    M&S did it with their "14 is the new 10" campaign, so why not?
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • the airline seat question is about fairness to other passengers too, if you're sat next to a very obese person who is restricting your upper and lower body space that you paid for, they should have to buy 2 seats.
    I have to pay a surcharge to be able to fit my legs into a plane seat, and I didn't become 6'6" through eating...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sales of skinny jeans would beg to differ.

Seriously, I'm shocked by the number of lads I see wandering around with legs skinnier at 15-20 than I had as a 5 year old. I bought a pair of trousers based purely on the size a couple of weeks ago - 36 regular - and I couldn't even get the thigh part past my calves. Bloody ridiculous.
    Was it 36 months? 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9678
    the airline seat question is about fairness to other passengers too, if you're sat next to a very obese person who is restricting your upper and lower body space that you paid for, they should have to buy 2 seats.

^This. I've seen the situation more than once coming back from the States once where an overweight couple have deliberately booked seats A and C rather than two next to each other. The poor sod in seat B not only has very little room but also spends the flight with the couple talking across him.

I had a narrow escape once flying back from Michigan where I had got a window seat and had just put the armrest down when a (I'd guess) 20 stone man arrived to sit next to me and asked if I'd mind putting the armrest up. I told him I did mind so the cabin crew had to move him elsewhere.

I seem to recall Virgin being fined several years back when a passenger suffered broken ribs after being sat next to someone who spilled over into the next seat.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    i hate it when a biffer sits next to me on the plane - its offensive and intrusive. I don't want someone touching me all through a flight, making me hot and invading my space. You wouldn't tolerate someone leaning on you so I don't see the difference. Its their problem, not the rest of us. ANd usually they spend the whole bleeding journey stuffing their face with something smelly as well.

Went to Spain on hols in the summer - got seated in the middle of this substantially weighted family. Soon as they all sat down, out came the bags of crisps, pringles, pies, sausage rolls, something like half of chuffing Gregg's came out of their bags. Ate the whole flipping journey. That;s why you're fat you dirty gets!

Mind you, the size of seats on cheap airlines is stupid. I flew Monarch last week: I'm 5'11 and I found it cramped. Borderline uncomfortable. This fella got in next to me, must have been 6'4, he was wedged right in. Must have been horrible.
    Thankfully he wasn't a big truck. I'd have been gutted.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4174
    Snap said:
    Went to Spain on hols in the summer - got seated in the middle of this substantially weighted family. Soon as they all sat down, out came the bags of crisps, pringles, pies, sausage rolls, something like half of chuffing Gregg's came out of their bags. Ate the whole flipping journey. That;s why you're fat you dirty gets!
    Yeah but... y'know... two hours later you were on holiday in Spain... bright side and all that. :)
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited November 2016
    HAL9000 said:
    Rocker said:
    ...how long before flights will charge more if passenger are over a certain tonnage...
    No need. Just needs a bit of lateral thinking ...

Put the lardies at the rear of the aircraft...

For takeoff this helps push the tail down and the nose up, so gets you airborne quicker.

During level flight the aircraft will fly with a slight nose-up attitude which means the trolleys will automatically roll to where they they are most wanted.

Planes always land with the main undercarriage first, and then the nose wheel. Again, having the chubbers at the rear helps this happen.

I thank you.
    Also if the plane crashes into the sea, you have the added benefit of being able to use the fatties as makeshift liferafts. There'd be plenty of love handles to grab a hold of.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited November 2016
    Yesterday, just topping up some mandatory training which is kind of irrelevant to me in my line of work but mandatory means you gotta brush it up, and what gently struck me was the addition of the new hoists for moving larger patients about. 
    These big boys are needed for when the regular hoists can't cope.  And the regular hoists can cope with up to 35 stone. 
    The new hoists are f*cking cranes.
    And they cost a few quid too.
    No one would be buying them if they were not being used.

It made me wonder what the hell had gone wrong.

Salad being more expensive than a burger and chips.
  • equalsql said:
    I don't know about 'fetting' but my mates and I would disagree with you on that statement!

Fucking hell!
  • frank1985 said:
    In some cultures, being fat is considered attractive, and a symbol of wealth and prosperity

Great

Then I am handsome.

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    The hole concept is nuts. People were only designed to live to 40 and even then, the design wasn't from the drawing board.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • I was on a Ryanair flight the other day and the whole bloody plane was obese, including myself!  I've never been obese before but now they have managed to squeeze 400 passengers on a 737-400 the obese range seems to have shifted!

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    Rocker said:
    people are getting fatter
    People are getting faster, too. Look at Usain Bolt.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sambostar said:
    The hole concept is nuts. People were only designed to live to 40 and even then, the design wasn't from the drawing board.
    Yeah, when they stress their bodies to death with tough jobs doing literally back-breaking work for 10 hours a day.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    equalsql said:
    I don't know about 'fetting' but my mates and I would disagree with you on that statement!

Fucking hell!
    jesus mary and joseph, and all the rest of em.

How can you let yourself get like that??  That really is obscene, I would wire my mouth up. Rank.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Sedentary lifestyles, crap food & cheap booze are probably the three causal factors. 
    Losing weight isn't rocket science: eat less, eat better, move more.
    Most people can't be arsed & want a quick fix- they go for a "diet" rather than the change of lifestyle they need to adopt permanently. 
    Sweet! Finally got the solution; expensive booze!!