Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Global warming, is it already too late to make meaningful change?

What's Hot

Comments

• paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    We have fucked the planet beyond repair. It doesn't matter though as the impending WWIII will wipe us all out anyway. I'm in a cheery fucking mood today.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Fretwired said:
    There's no such thing as global warming.

You need to get out more. Have a Mars bar and a cold beer ... :-)

(Can you think what he'll be like when he finds out about Brexit)
    I actually agree. I am a global warming denier. I think its just part of the far larger planet temperature trend.

I bet those neanderthals didn't say it was global warming at the end of the ice age.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8492
    Oh god.  :o :# :/ B) =)
  • Deniers are weird. 

Doctors - "you're overweight and have high blood pressure,  medical science says you should probably do something about it or else you risk an early death" 

Deniers - "Yeah, fair cop Doc, I'll cut down on the chips" 

Engineers - "Yeah, this material is lighter and thinner than others but our engineering science shows that it's stronger and safer" 

Deniers - "cool, let's build planes and cars from it" 

Climate scientists - "guys, pumping all this poisonous gas into the air isn't the best idea, it's killing people right now and the ice caps are melting". 

Deniers - "Conspiracy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 “
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2804
    This comic springs to mind. 

I love this ^. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    I think the OP can help personally.

He just needs to put one of these in his garden

The amount of damage to our planet that building one of these things means it  would take thousands of years of uninterrupted working to undo.

But wind generation of electricity is really only the politicians way of doing nothing while appearing to be trying to save the planet from global warming.

Globally electricity generation is responsible for a very small percentage of the problem.  If every electricity generator on the planet was switched off now, it would have only a minuscule effect.  Politicians are approaching the problem from the wrong side.  Agriculture, transport, industry between them produce almost 90% of the global warming problem.  They also happen to be the worlds major employers.  Which is why no politician will touch them.  Hence the problem is unsolvable.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The biggest problem is cows ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
    I like you Rocker.

Above all the other members of the forum you are the only one who NEVER realises when someone is merely taking the piss.

And whenever you reply to piss taking you manage to fully justify the piss taking.

Bravo.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Rocker said:
    I think the OP can help personally.

He just needs to put one of these in his garden

The amount of damage to our planet that building one of these things means it  would take thousands of years of uninterrupted working to undo.
    You should know that's completely untrue.

I know you have strong reasons for opposing wind turbines, which I agree with - and because they are not an effective enough solution to the problem either - but don't use false claims to try to support your case, it undermines your argument.

A modern wind turbine pays back the energy used in its manufacture in around six months (presumably assuming it's windy for most of that time!) and produces more than twenty times that energy over the course of its lifespan before it needs to be replaced - which is much less energy-intensive than building a new one too, since the foundations and mast are the major cost.

If they could just be put in places where they don't interfere with the landscape and people they would be a much better idea... ie offshore.

Rocker said:

But wind generation of electricity is really only the politicians way of doing nothing while appearing to be trying to save the planet from global warming.
    But I agree with that. It was a way of appearing to be doing something, while getting the private sector to build the capacity piecemeal because the unit cost is low… the problem with properly effective alternatives is that the startup costs are much higher in most cases.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    Watch this

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

Emp_Fab said:
    We won't get anywhere.  It's utterly pointless trying.  Human greed will guarantee that we will always prioritise personal gain and eventually, the world will turn into Bladerunner or suchlike.  The sooner the humans ruin the Earth so they become extinct, the quicker the Earth can heal without us shitting all over it.

You know... suicide *IS* an option.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2804
    Good film @Gassage.  

I think this guy is a bit of a genius.  He's really thinking through and putting into practise a viable and necessary alternative.  One which minimises the need for government(s) policy (because they can't/won't act or can't/won't act quickly enough and which also minimises the need for people to drastically change (because they can't/won't).  I think the thread demonstrates both these things.

• Cirrus said:
    modellista said:
    Climate "scientists" have been proven liars - see East Anglia and that loony Michael Mann.
    Nonsense.

Well, there's an actual book of 100 scientists going on record saying what a shyster Mann is.  There's due to be a second volume.  Then there's you.  I know who I believe.

• decreases the earth's libido 
    Facepalm moment of the year.

I'm glad you made this very telling error, because on the face of it your arguments could seem reasonable to those who can't spare the time to work things out for themselves, the very effect you write about.  You could have been convincing people, until you said the above.

I've read until I'm blue in the brain about this climate business, so unfortunately for you I know what I'm talking about.  Like the difference between libido and albedo.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
    decreases the earth's libido 
    Facepalm moment of the year.

I'm glad you made this very telling error, because on the face of it your arguments could seem reasonable to those who can't spare the time to work things out for themselves, the very effect you write about.  You could have been convincing people, until you said the above.

I've read until I'm blue in the brain about this climate business, so unfortunately for you I know what I'm talking about.  Like the difference between libido and albedo.

You've done your own research?

You'd make an anti-vaxxer proud.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    edited November 2016

You've done your own research?

WTF?

Ignored.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8492
    edited November 2016

Cirrus said:
    modellista said:
    Climate "scientists" have been proven liars - see East Anglia and that loony Michael Mann.
    Nonsense.

Well, there's an actual book of 100 scientists going on record saying what a shyster Mann is.  There's due to be a second volume.  Then there's you.  I know who I believe.

I think the bit of your brain that deals with logic might be malfunctioning. You've set up a false dichotomy between 100 random scientists and me, as if I'm the only proponent of climate change. In fact, you're doing exactly what I described in my thoroughly excellent post yesterday - you're substituting the difficult question of climate change for "do I believe 100 scientists or Cirrus?". It's amazing. As for the libido/ albido thing, yes, my mistake. I'm aware of the differences in meaning and I think a reasonable person would give me the benefit of the doubt. If you think the mistype means it's fair to discount the rest of my argument, then you're stupid.

Edit; Actually, I take back the last sentence. I don't know you and it's not fair of me to say that. Apologies!

• You've done your own research?

WTF?

Ignored.

Given all the evidence for climate change that you're ignoring this seems fair enough. 

At least you're consistent in your delusions. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    We have terrible climate change in our house the morning after a few ales and a curry. Dunno about CO2 levels, but there are very high levels of particulate pollution and methane, which is a potent greenhouse gas. There is also large localised atmospheric heating in the area under the duvet...

(footnote, I'm not really a climate change denier, seems you can't even jokingly say you are before someone jumps on you)