Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Back to windows 7 for me

What's Hot
Well I'm enjoyed windows 10 whilst it lasted, alas I've hit the SDD + HDD bug.
Where windows slowly dies the second you touch the second drive.

I really liked Windows 10, but with this bug it renders my PC un-usable.
So I'll be going back to Windows 7 for the time being until the issue is sorted.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    What bug is this ...... I have an SDD and HDD ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Windows 7 was the best version of Windows I've ever used besides XP.

• This is why Macs are so good - they just work!
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I've had my fair share of Mac issues as well.
    Mac's do not work well in a networked environment shares with non macs.
    Ever tried copying a few TB of Data to an SMB share from a Mac
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4235
    edited November 2016
    This is why Macs are so good - they just work!
    When you boil it down, the Mac in front of me is basically an Intel PC running Linux-in-a-posh-frock (i.e. Mac OS).  At current list prices it'd cost a minimum of £1,749 to replace.

For that money, it'd want it to 'just work'.  Anecdotally, it freezes and crashes at approximately the same rate as the other computer in front of me, an Intel PC running Windows 8 which is my main development machine and whose approximate replacement cost is £800 (I'm including a decent-sized panel in that price).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

But I am not paying through the nose for a shitty spec iMac with old gen processors and spinning disk drives. 

Even the Mac pro - have you seen how little you get for your money? It does at least have pci-e storage, something that the iMac range should get in m.2 format now it's becoming more affordable.

The surface studio gives apple an opportunity to undercut Microsoft - a wicked fast iMac with great display and not a touch screen but good compatibility with external tablets. 

Problem is I really need a new computer now.. and no one offers what I want. I'm approaching macbook pro - but the prices are quite high and I don't need portability! They outspec imacs though.. 

Gutted I missed the macbook pro that sold on here! That would have been ideal.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455
    I'm still on Win 7 and will remain on it until there's software I need that won't run on it. I like to get 10 years out of an OS :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    Fretwired said:
    I have 2!  So there.

I've not had any problems either.  I think the OP has been a bit unlucky.
  • Could be an issue with my SSD. Tried loading windows 7 and I can't get past loading the AHCI drivers so can't install on SSD. Will try a windows 8 disk later.
    Thank god for my MSDN subscription 
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Its always the danger with software updates - the update "breaks" a previously working system. I always used to wait a few days before applying Win7 updates, in case this occurred. I guess I have the choice to configure Win10 to not immediately do updates, I believe its possible but a PITA to configure it like this. I kinda just left my Win10 (I upgraded free) as-is.

I do regular backups though, and realistically don't have anything massively important on the computer.
  • Could be an issue with my SSD. Tried loading windows 7 and I can't get past loading the AHCI drivers so can't install on SSD. Will try a windows 8 disk later.
    Thank god for my MSDN subscription 

Are there any driver updates for the ssd available? 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17668
    tFB Trader
    We are all Mac at work and their reliability is shit.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    We are all Mac at work and their reliability is shit.

This surprises me. What sort of issues have you run into? 

Genuine question. I've never owned a Mac but I am currently on my way to being a macbook pro owner (or waiting for the next imac). Reliability will be important as it'll be my home run business. . . Hence thinking mac! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:
    Fretwired said:
    I have 2!  So there.

I've not had any problems either.  I think the OP has been a bit unlucky.
    I've got two of each. Is this a competition? :)

I've not had any issues so far. Fingers crossed.

It's not a competition.
  • 2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Seriously, having had to use a mac for a long period, every time there was an update something would break, so you would wait untill a stable update, then never update, untill your video editing software told you you had to, so you do, which causes the whole thing to go tits up. Tits up to the point we had to start from fresh as it was completely fucked. I don't know why, but that machine/os combo killed it. (at-least untill it was wiped and restored to an older update,)

With windows I find it is a lot easier to fix an issue if something is wrong, some things may be a ball ache to fix, but you can at-least fix most of them with enough experience and know how (Read: using google)
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • Well I've managed to work around the issue and stay on Windows 10
    Do not relocate any of the library locations to the second disk.
    Just point any applications at directories on the second drive, rather than use the default "My Documents", "My videos", "My Music", erc
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    I noticed Windows was apparently repairing one of my drives the other day (I'm running an SSD and 2 HDDs). Not seen anything untoward since. Annoying though, as Windows boned my sound card and graphics cards with the last big update.

Oh, and Apple is shit ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    As IT support in a site with lots of Macs... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA You are WRONG. Go to the corner and think about what you did!

OP, if it makes you feel betyter - IO've been rocking SSD and HDD combo the whole time this PC has been alive and did the annicersary update on day one and not a single wqiggle 

Also theere is wein!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom