Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Band. We need help with a name.

What's Hot
While i've been held firmly down by some fairly serious health problems, not all of which have been made public, I had to have something to do, plan and look forward to. Being housebound and then weapons grade ill hasn't been easy and to mentally get through it, i had to find a way forward for when it's all over. I found it through two of our forum members here and now we are the beginnings of a new band. I won't be fit enough to even start rehearsing until early 2017 so until then we are all contributing what we can to the writing process and we're working on what will hopefully become original material.
We will be playing covers as well, partly for a laugh, partly as a catalyst to gel the band together *As a Band* and partly for promotional purposes but the main view is that this is working towards being an original band with it's own sound and new music.

We could use some help in choosing a band name, as we all could when we have to do this.
We are not looking at playing general pub gigs, there's enough of you guys doing that already and it's done to death anyway so having an appealing name for pub punters isn't something we're bothered about.
A Commercially viable name,.........IS !

We're coming from the Rock end of the spectrum, some of the lighter side of Metal, Guitar based Pop, some Americana, as little 'Blues' as we can all get away with and we're using a female trio vocal section so we're looking at BIG harmonies and lots of opportunity to make vocals a main feature.

We think there will be some opportunity for keyboards but the band will be an 8 piece and in terms of willing conspirators, we're actually almost there already so everyone is quietly confident that this is going to sound good.

We've got Three Guitars.
Two handling mainly electric rhythm and lead and one looking after acoustic and electric backing / incidental / harmony. Think along the lines of how Adrian Smith, Dave Murray and Janick Gers work together with Maiden and your where we got the idea from.
Drums and Bass are what they are in any band and we have one of the best on Bass already. I have half managed to convince him to come out of retirement and the rest will do the rest for me. He's 'Proper' Good !
We're having three Female vocalists, all capable of singing lead or backing and with the two male voices we have in two of us guitarists, we've got all our bases covered for vocals. The Girls can back us up, vice versa and when each of them sings lead it can and will be a different style, voice, tone etc.

We're all doing this to work at it for a future and to enjoy having our own place to play in, no matter how successful or not we become. NONE of us are doing it for the money BUT with so many involved, buying our own equipment will be loads easier and paying the costs of the studio will be much more viable for us all. The 'Team Effort' is what keeps this thing afloat.

So there's an outline of what we're doing without giving away to many of our specific plans, which we hope will be quite spectacular when they happen next year.
Any help with serious, commercially viable names will be greatly appreciated.

I will leave it to the other two forum members to announce themselves as and when they feel they want to.

Thanks for any help we receive with this in advance.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Octopussy?
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    edited November 2016
    Seeing as you're going to have three female singers, which could be said to be two too many.
    And that you're going to have three guitars, which could be said to be two too many.
    How about the name "Two Too Many"
    :-)
    Edit to say that the whole project sounds like a massive amount of fun!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28735
    Rejoice, My Love, For Tomorrow Brings The Heat-Death Of The Universe
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • No idea what the band name ought to be but man I'd love to be in a band like that!

CAVEAT: From a musical point of view. From a logistical/ personal politics point of view...I'll stick with my trio!

Good luck with it, though, sounds ace.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Octopussy?
    That's clever.

BigMonka said:
    Seeing as you're going to have three female singers, which could be said to be two too many.
    And that you're going to have three guitars, which could be said to be two too many.
    How about the name "Two Too Many"
    :-)
    Edit to say that the whole project sounds like a massive amount of fun!
    Thank You ! We are hoping it will be huge fun and also provide fun and entertainment for others. We're aiming for the essence of why we do this, if that makes sense?

I'm glad you've suggested that kind of name because it's something we've come up with a few similar and it's that slightly comedic vein.
    As much fun as those names are, we're thinking of something that's a bit more sophisticated without being pretentious however fun band names are still fun to muck about with and always fun to read so keep 'em coming.

One suggestion can lead to a discussion which could lead to THE name so anything and all is good.

Thanks for your interest.
    No idea what the band name ought to be but man I'd love to be in a band like that!

CAVEAT: From a musical point of view. From a logistical/ personal politics point of view...I'll stick with my trio!

Good luck with it, though, sounds ace.
    If we didn't all agree to base this in our own rented perma-studio, there was no way i was going to do it. Because we're not looking at hitting pub circuits, the logistics of it all are actually quite easy and the apparent costs are far outweighed by convenience and lack of hidden costs when 'Going out Gigging',.........etc.

Thanks man
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Ancient Baby
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    Sporky said:
    I think it might need "The" at the front and "Blues Band" at the end.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Grunfeld said:
    Sporky said:
    I think it might need "The" at the front and "Blues Band" at the end.

LOL.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    The G.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Alnicana

Your username aside, I think it's catchy, doesn't sound too masculine, to include the ladies, and also the connotations are good:

Alnico - an amalgamation of different metals, to form a highly magnetic combination that is highly resistant to loss of magnetism, used to form permanent magnets.

Quite appropriate methinks :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    The Ramoaners.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Aluminium Extrusion.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    Maynehead said:
    Alnicana

Your username aside, I think it's catchy, doesn't sound too masculine, to include the ladies, and also the connotations are good:

Alnico - an amalgamation of different metals, to form a highly magnetic combination that is highly resistant to loss of magnetism, used to form permanent magnets.

Quite appropriate methinks :)
    Thanks, i really appreciate that and actually that could kick off some idea's of it's own.

Thanks man.

Gassage said:
    The Ramoaners.
    Excellent !
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Maybe I should have said, quite an attractive name ;)

Anyway, if you use the name, I hope I get your first record as a prize :)
  • 3 Jills and some Jacks. Something with Alnico in it would be cool too. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    edited November 2016
    Spiderbaby
    Turntable
    Mosqueitos

• Typical lyrical content would help when picking a name but heres some random ones:

#hashtag
    NO:TEMO
    uuid
    Lt SkyTree's Bacon Solilquy
    Morph my beloved table/dog/cat/scale model of the eiffel tower/chopping board/viaduct/vase
    outside the inbox

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Lads and Ladies, we have a name.

Someone here suggested something which isn't what we're using but it led us into thinking of what we're using and it's brilliant. 
    It works on every level, we've tested the name out locally with a few people who all nodded and said it worked and sounded good. It looks good written down and it's totally viable.

When we've secured the name and we know it's 100% ours, i will announce it here.

Thank you for your suggestions, time and help.
    We wouldn't have got past this point without them.
    edited November 2016
    Fuck it no we don't have a name.

At this point everything we have genuinely come up with that's even half useable is already taken, has a facebook page YT etc set up and is an established band.

Far from maybe still being able to use the name if *that* band aren't active anymore, we wanted to have some actually original and it kind of feels deflated to use a name that some unlucky band couldn't stay together to use, asking permission etc.

As you can probably tell i'm a bit down about it and frustrated at sitting here for 4 hours at a time every day and being beaten every time by google.

Band name competition back on.
    The one we use will get a free copy of the album and whatever other rubbish we can cobble together at that point in time.

Being in a band can be fun.
    Starting and running one full time can be less fun.
    I wouldn't swap it for anything but fuck this band name thing - was it always this difficult? I can't really remember if i'm honest.

I've half written a couple of songs in the last week.
    *That* was fucking easy compared to this !