Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

US Election- Who will win?

What's Hot

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited November 2016

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2442

In all seriousness - whether you agree or not with the results of the Brexit vote or the US Election, I think it shows that there are huge numbers of people who feel they are not listened to or are disenfranchised with things the way they were.

I think it also shows that politicians need to be held to account much, much more for things that they say during the run-up to any kind of vote.

Of course, none of that matters now that we've entered Fallout: The Simulation, but still......

(PS. Democrats - wanna borrow Nicola Sturgeon?)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Electing Obama showed there were the previously disenfranchised, he won on the back of the poor black vote. Trump has won on the back of the poor white vote ( and Clinton as an almost unelectable candidate). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Electing Obama showed there were the previously disenfranchised, he won on the back of the poor black vote. Trump has won on the back of the poor white vote ( and Clinton as an almost unelectable candidate). 
    With all due respect that is crap.  Although the poor whites are the largest unrepresented group in the USA, as they are here, it wasn't that.  It was stuff like Obama care, the pledges he broke and a distrust of Hilary, especially given her track record.  I think if you check out the Hispanic, black votes and middle class hispanic black or white votes, if you want to break it down like that because you have racist tendencies, they would have voted for Trump.

You've been indoctrinated by the likes of Top Gear.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • . Trump has won on the back of the poor white vote ( and Clinton as an almost unelectable candidate). 
    Not if you look at the demographics. Rich white dudes make up a large part of his vote, alongside truly terrifying numbers of Latinos and Women.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4612
    Goes to show just how bad Clinton really was. At least now the world will go down fighting.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    The BBC has a headline "Astonishing new chapter in US history". How is it astonishing that in a two horse race, one horse won?

That encapsulates the current political problem - the politicians and pundits think that people are predictable, and are 'astonished' when they aren't!
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    FarleyUK said:

In all seriousness - whether you agree or not with the results of the Brexit vote or the US Election, I think it shows that there are huge numbers of people who feel they are not listened to or are disenfranchised with things the way they were.

Wanting to do the best for your country and your people is still a powerful message, which the more well-off part of the electorate seem to keep forgetting.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12961
    edited November 2016
    quarky said:
    FarleyUK said:

Wanting to do the best for your country and your people is still a powerful message, which the more well-off part of the electorate seem to keep forgetting.

Its a bizarre message. No candidate in the history of politics has answered "do you want to do the best for your country and your people?" with the word "no". It's a given for everyone standing for office, anywhere, anytime.

quarky said:
    FarleyUK said:

Its a bizarre message. No candidate in the history of politics has answered "do you want to do the best for your country and your people?" with the word "no". It's a given for everyone standing for office, anywhere, anytime.

But the words are only a small part of the message. People wanted Brexit because they believed it would give more opportunities for the people here, and protection from the problems in the EU. People in the US wanted Trump, because he promises to do the same.

People see the problems and threats on the horizon, whether economics or terrorism, and basically want to know that "charity begins at home". When they get called rascist/nationalist/fascist/thick by sections of the population for wanting that, well, no wonder these results happen.
  • Having spent around 10 weeks in the US this year, I reckon Trump
    Told you! I knew this would be the result during my last visit to the US mid October when I was in Portsmouth NH

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Looks like Clinton may have won the popular vote.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    quarky said:
    Looks like Clinton may have won the popular vote.
    Not on what the Beeb are showing now - Trump 47.8%, Clinton 47.4%.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Good. Less controversial then.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Now changed to a dead heat on 47.6% each. There are still about 5% of the results to come in, so it could go either way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    Interesting how much the 3rd party voting has gone up.
    The 3 previous elections it was between 1% and 1.6% for anyone other than Rep/Dem.
    This election it is just under 5%.

ICBM said:
    Now changed to a dead heat on 47.6% each. There are still about 5% of the results to come in, so it could go either way.
    What could go either way? The post-game analysis?  B)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    Clinton is within 20k of winning the popular vote.
    It means nothing though.
    octatonic said:
    Clinton is within 20k of winning the popular vote.
    It means nothing though.
    Exactly. Except that those who dislike the democratic process of the USA can complain, as they do whenever the democratic process comes up with a result they don't like...