Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

More Brexit benefits: 12% supermarket food price hikes on the way

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Do married couples with kids have a bigger income lol?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    mellowsun said:
    I thought you said food .. my local Lidl does a packet of 8 baking potatoes for £0.59p, two pieces of haddock for £2.10, mince for £1.10 .. I could go on but you can eat like a King for peanuts. But then again Lidl is not a big corporation that's pissed off over losing access to the EU market where it can pedal processed shit and pay bugger all in tax. Walkers crisps are shit anyway.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Do married couples with kids have a bigger income lol?
    Not what I meant! I meant it's harder for couples with kids to budget. I don't have to think of anyone else, I just budget for me, which is easier.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited November 2016
    Do married couples with kids have a bigger income lol?
    Not what I meant! I meant it's harder for couples with kids to budget. I don't have to think of anyone else, I just budget for me, which is easier.
    Gotcha!

And @Sambostar what a nice song to wake up to n the morning! :)

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422

I have work mate who came from Eritrea .

He owns a ( right to buy) 4 bed flat in Angel Islington, which he rents out and it  pays the mortgage on his 3 (not converted to 4) bed semi in Ruislip.

He's a pipe fitter,lovely guy.

Now way over  a property millionaire.

Lucky, right time, right place and making good decisions.

I worked with a Somalian chap around 2001 who had a string of right to buy ex-council flats in Tower Hamlets. They were very easy to come by back then.

• mellowsun said:

I have work mate who came from Eritrea .

He owns a ( right to buy) 4 bed flat in Angel Islington, which he rents out and it  pays the mortgage on his 3 (not converted to 4) bed semi in Ruislip.

He's a pipe fitter,lovely guy.

Now way over  a property millionaire.

Lucky, right time, right place and making good decisions.

I worked with a Somalian chap around 2001 who had a string of right to buy ex-council flats in Tower Hamlets. They were very easy to come by back then.

Ka-Ching !
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777

Rising prices lead to inflation. Inflation is good for getting rid of debt, debt that is an albatross around the neck of a lot of governments, companies and individuals. Another benefit is that it gives central banks the ability to respond when the next crash rolls along (which probably isn't that far away, giving it is eigth years since 2008!).

I do sometimes wonder if we are all being played by central policy makers who are trying to get their own goals (currency devaluation being one), without being too obvious about it. Let's face it, the whole faux-brexit thing would be a great way to get your country on a more competitive footing, and when it is called off (after the MP vote or a public outcry), we are back where we were (in terms of the EU) but we have managed to quell anti-EU sentiment, and got away from zero-bound interest rates at the same time..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3431
    edited November 2016
    Richardj said:
    Well I have no intention of now returning the UK. We have been screwed over with the collapse in the value of the pound and I'm not sure I want to live in such a divided and increasingly openly racist country (it is starting to make the French look tolerant!)

I'm also sure that no one cares that the public divisions and attacks are there for the rest of the world to see and it does very little for the perception and reputation of the British.

I will look on with interest.
    which more tolerant country are you living in? 
    Renowned beacon of tolerance, France, I believe.

I used to work in France, one of my highly-qualified, hard working and skilled colleagues had to change his name to get any work, because his given name was too Arabic-sounding to get hired  

Of course that was in Provence, the south of France being a particularly racist area and one of the seats of FN power.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11989
    @ToneControl  where do you live?
    centre of Cheshire

there are 3 very nice towns with  these prices (Sandbach, Northwich, Middlewich), 2 with direct trains into Manchester, one with another fast line straight into Liverpool

It seems to be an open secret - best weather in the North west - much sunnier, less rainy than  everywhere around,  and it's next to the poshest bits of the Manchester commuter belt (Knutsford, etc), yet very nice areas are cheaper than ropey bits of Manchester
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Gotta love the idea of a guy from Eritrea and Somalia coming to the UK and buying up property to rent out and then become millionaires. Most native Brits have trouble affording their fags every week. Not sure what that says really.
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    Gotta love the idea of a guy from Eritrea and Somalia coming to the UK and buying up property to rent out and then become millionaires. Most native Brits have trouble affording their fags every week. Not sure what that says really.
    They should give up fags, that's what it says.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Drew_TNBD said:
    People with the gumption to move halway across the world to find a better life are more likely to be successful than people who never had to worry about that sort of stuff, is the message I take from it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom