Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Corbyn wants May to make Brexit negotiation strategy public

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    ESBlonde said:
    Whilst we give the 650+ elected polititions a voice so they can puff up thier chests for thier constituents, the other 96.42% of this negotiating field will be lining up to have a pop at the UK when they get over to the Haig or wherever the negotiations will take place. that the government will be held to account is correct, that they are truely going to dictate the terms to the other member states is quite laughable. Yes we have strengths, but the other EU states will be very keen to ensure the UK is seen as 'punished' for leaving the club as a disincentive to any other member states contemplating the same.

Depends on the timescale.  If Parliament drags it on for long enough then the Dutch may be having a referendum and Marie Le Pen might be in power in France.

If it drags on even longer than that the whole sorry EU edifice could come crumbling down and there could be a rush to the exit.

Ultimately, the EU has a lot to lose as well.  We import more from them than we export to them.  There are undoubtedly some in the EU who would want to punish us and cut off their nose to spite their face, but the German car makers and French wine/cheese makers (not to mention Peugeot and Citroen) won't want tariffs imposed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    edited November 2016
    Myranda said:
    ICBM said:
    I'm not totally sure why we need to keep our "hand" secret anyway - it's not as if we're going to be asking for anything they don't expect. If anything I would have thought that openness would get us to a good result more quickly.

But I have become extremely disappointed with Corbyn, for at least the reasons Heartfeltdawn said.
    I negotiate professionally and the last thing you need is to have your negotiation plan or strategy in the hands of the people you plan to negotiate with. It's a negotiation 101 faux pas extraordinaire !
    And what exactly is unknown about out desires? Free market access and no foreigners ... that's been public knowledge for some time... ANYTHING else is dependant on those things and the EU knows those are things we want

We're not walking in with a clever trick up our sleeves, or a colony in our back pocket... the only thing we have that the EU wants is access to the UK (and possibly money). That's all they care about, and all they will care about. It's our leverage, and only asset. 

What possible secret weapon do people think we're taking into the negotiating room?
    what secret weapon? Why, Boris Johnson of course. He's the Austin Powers of politics, 'The Tory buffoon who tried to shag me...and failed!

you may be right, but if we really are walking into that negotiation with just our dick in our hands, we're gonna get reamed. We must have something dirty to push up them.

but regardless, if I was negotiating I'd be fucked if I would make any guarantees in advance

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    edited November 2016
    randella said:
    Fretwired said:
    Never mind what Corbyn thinks.
    Brexit is the biggest political upheaval in how long?  Certainly decades.  Her Majesty's official opposition is there to provide checks and balances and ensure that one 'side' doesn't run rampant and things like this are carried out fairly and justly.

So yeah, I do kinda mind what Corbyn thinks, as like or not he's the leader of said opposition.  Unfortunately, he's been pretty much shtum since the cult re-elected him and, on the odd occasion when the muse strikes him and the soppy old duffer can be bothered interrupting his jam making to make one of his prognostications of doom, I generally wish he'd not bothered.
    What Corbyn thinks is irrelevant if, like Fret, you're focused on the actual Brexit mechanism. However what Corbyn thinks is not irrelevant if you're looking at him in terms of how his words represent the Labour Party as a whole. 

It's now over 11 months since the Syria vote. The list of Corbyn achievements since then is no longer than a eunuch's wedding tackle. The dear leader has done fuck all. 

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    randella said:
    Fretwired said:
    Brexit is the biggest political upheaval in how long?  Certainly decades.  Her Majesty's official opposition is there to provide checks and balances and ensure that one 'side' doesn't run rampant and things like this are carried out fairly and justly.

So yeah, I do kinda mind what Corbyn thinks, as like or not he's the leader of said opposition.  Unfortunately, he's been pretty much shtum since the cult re-elected him and, on the odd occasion when the muse strikes him and the soppy old duffer can be bothered interrupting his jam making to make one of his prognostications of doom, I generally wish he'd not bothered.
    What Corbyn thinks is irrelevant if, like Fret, you're focused on the actual Brexit mechanism. However what Corbyn thinks is not irrelevant if you're looking at him in terms of how his words represent the Labour Party as a whole. 

It's now over 11 months since the Syria vote. The list of Corbyn achievements since then is no longer than a eunuch's wedding tackle. The dear leader has done fuck all. 
    He is simply way out of his depth when formulating policy. His only life experience is being anti-something. Ask him the way forward and he is clueless.
  • Chalky said:
    He is simply way out of his depth when formulating policy. His only life experience is being anti-something. Ask him the way forward and he is clueless.
    Which is evident from his leadership style. As a speaker on issues, he's actually good. Going from discussion of that issue to creating a clear coherent plan to tackle that issue... no. 

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    edited November 2016
    Myranda said:
    ICBM said:
    I'm not totally sure why we need to keep our "hand" secret anyway - it's not as if we're going to be asking for anything they don't expect. If anything I would have thought that openness would get us to a good result more quickly.

But I have become extremely disappointed with Corbyn, for at least the reasons Heartfeltdawn said.
    I negotiate professionally and the last thing you need is to have your negotiation plan or strategy in the hands of the people you plan to negotiate with. It's a negotiation 101 faux pas extraordinaire !
    And what exactly is unknown about out desires? Free market access and no foreigners ... that's been public knowledge for some time... ANYTHING else is dependant on those things and the EU knows those are things we want

We're not walking in with a clever trick up our sleeves, or a colony in our back pocket... the only thing we have that the EU wants is access to the UK (and possibly money). That's all they care about, and all they will care about. It's our leverage, and only asset. 

What possible secret weapon do people think we're taking into the negotiating room?
    what secret weapon? Why, Boris Johnson of course. He's the Austin Powers of politics, 'The Tory buffoon who tried to shag me...and failed!

you may be right, but if we really are walking into that negotiation with just our dick in our hands, we're gonna get reamed. We must have something dirty to push up them.

but regardless, if I was negotiating I'd be fucked if I would make any guarantees in advance
    You know that scene in South Park where Canada go on strike...

That's us that is.

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    randella said:
    Fretwired said:

That is what an Opposition is supposed to do, but Corbyn just wants to be a thorn in someone's side, but much like a broken clock is right twice a day, Corbyn by chance also says the correct thing. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4235
    edited November 2016
    Garthy said:
    randella said:
    Fretwired said:

That is what an Opposition is supposed to do, but Corbyn just wants to be a thorn in someone's side, but much like a broken clock is right twice a day, Corbyn by chance also says the correct thing. 
    The point I was making is that Corbyn's not (as even Cameron managed) right twice a day - every time he opens his trap it's painful. You're right about the thorn in the side, it's hardwired into his DNA, he knows nothing else. 

like @Heartfeltdawn says, he's achieved the square root of piss all since he dusted himself down and got off the back benches. I can't see that Brexit is going to be his epiphany either which is unfortunate because if ever there was a time for a considered, statesmanlike opposition leader this is it.