Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Where do you go to find new music?

What's Hot

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    6 Music and add anything interesting I've hear to a Spotify / Tidal / Deezer playlist. Also read Pitchfork reviews.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5560
    edited November 2016
    thequietus.com has some interesting stuff on it.
  • Today I discovered Winger, properly. Fantastic band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Not paying for Spotify and listening to the suggested tracks, most are crap but there is some decent stuff there. Also Third Man Records have very good taste in the people they sign. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23128
    Today I discovered Winger, properly. Fantastic band.
    Welcome to the club.  There aren't many Winger fans around.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Whyever not!?
    Whyever not!?
    They were massively ridiculed in the late 80s due to their poppy songs, poodle perms and - perhaps more than anything else - because Kip Winger, with his hairy chest and gleaming teeth, looked like the fourth Bee Gee (or fifth, if you include Andy Gibb).

They got lumped in with the likes of Firehouse, Trixter and Slaughter but they had a bit more to them, especially after the first couple of albums.

I find most hair metal pretty unbearable nowadays, although I liked a lot of it at the time, but I still love Winger.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11989
    allmusic

branch out to influences and followers of things you like
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    Not paying for Spotify and listening to the suggested tracks, most are crap but there is some decent stuff there.
    Spotify's algorithms might surprise you -- definitely impressed me. 
    After it's had time to notice what you like it starts suggesting things which are in the same ball park but sufficiently different that you're unlikely to have discovered them yourself. 
    For a fiver a month it's worth it -- that's less than I used to spend on those ancient CD things.  I'm not quite sure what my upper limit would be (probably not much more than that) but it's become the main way I've been listening to music for ages.
    I use Spotify all the time but still haven't taken the plunge on the paid version - there doesn't seem to be much benefit apart from losing the adverts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UNCUT magazine (they have a free cd with every issue) or BBC6 Marc Riley/Lauren Laverne.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12434
    edited November 2016
    R6 is good, when I remember to put it on. Mates' recommendations are good too: one of mine is massively into prog, another one likes metal. We swap cd's or files every now and then. I've found some good stuff on here in the music thread too. 
  • Philly_Q said:
    Whyever not!?
    They were massively ridiculed in the late 80s due to their poppy songs, poodle perms and - perhaps more than anything else - because Kip Winger, with his hairy chest and gleaming teeth, looked like the fourth Bee Gee (or fifth, if you include Andy Gibb).

They got lumped in with the likes of Firehouse, Trixter and Slaughter but they had a bit more to them, especially after the first couple of albums.

I find most hair metal pretty unbearable nowadays, although I liked a lot of it at the time, but I still love Winger.
    I haven't seen pics but the music is really excellent.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

@thomasross20
    Had you ever listened to me, Tigger, you could have been enjoying them for the last ten years, at least! :elaborateflounce:

Do a YouTube binge, Reb Beach is a monster soloist. :+1:

Which recordings have you been listening to? Sadly, I couldn't get into their most recent album. :( Still killer live, though.

Philly_Q said:
    I use Spotify all the time but still haven't taken the plunge on the paid version - there doesn't seem to be much benefit apart from losing the adverts.
    Losing the adverts, ability to skip songs, play albums in order rather than shuffle mode, download for offline playback...
    DiscoStu said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Losing the adverts, ability to skip songs, play albums in order rather than shuffle mode, download for offline playback...

I can already skip songs and play albums in order, I thought that was standard?  The offline download would be useful if I had a smartphone (well I do have one but I don't use it...).  I will probably upgrade at some point just to lose the adverts.
    Before I went to Premium I could only skip a certain number of tracks per day, I think it was 5? 
    DLM said:

@thomasross20
    Had you ever listened to me, Tigger, you could have been enjoying them for the last ten years, at least! :elaborateflounce:

Do a YouTube binge, Reb Beach is a monster soloist. :+1:

Which recordings have you been listening to? Sadly, I couldn't get into their most recent album. :( Still killer live, though.

Agreed about Reb, but curiously I'm completely unmoved by his work with Dokken and Whitesnake, he only seems to come into his own with Winger.

Agreed also about the last album, it was a bit disappointing.  I find the later albums are growers rather than instant hits, but Better Days Comin' hasn't really grown.

I'm surprised by how expensive some of the Winger albums are on Amazon, and you can't even get them as MP3s (although I daresay they can be found by people cleverer than me).  I'm glad I bought them at the time.

DiscoStu said:
    Before I went to Premium I could only skip a certain number of tracks per day, I think it was 5? 
    In that case, maybe it's just that I rarely skip tracks!
    Philly_Q said:
    DiscoStu said:
    In that case, maybe it's just that I rarely skip tracks!
    Aye, probably! I got bored of the adverts and wanted more control over the content so went Premium. For the price of a CD per month I get to stream as much as I want without feeling like I'm nicking it. Yeah the artists don't get a great deal but it's better than nothing.