Vanilla Newbs' How-To

What's Hot

Comments

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    close2u said:
    You use the bit in between the [IMG][/IMG] tags.

If you paste it directly in the comment box without using the "Insert Image" button (towards the right of the toolbar) you will have to refresh/reload the page after having submitted the comment for the image(s) to appear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudderymuddery Frets: 15
    PM Email Notifications have never worked for me. Everything is selected correctly in preferences, but I don't ever get them... Am I missing something?
  • mudderymuddery Frets: 15
    Problem solved. They didn't even make it into my POP3 junk but all there in gmail spam glory
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6402
    edited January 2014
    mart said:
    How does one delete bookmarks? 
    And how does one delete drafts?

And why, despite 4 copies of close2u's post on Sept 26th, does it say that the last post in this thread was BigPaulie's of Aug 31st?

Ta! :)
    1. hover over bookmark and a gear wheel appears, click it to delete

2. go into Drafts and delete 'em

3. Probably a merged thread, but don't quote me ......
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    Is there are thread where we can post test stuff?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27790
    deano said:
    Is there are thread where we can post test stuff?
    @deano ... There is now;

You might test how to get your sig down to the 2 lines that we "encourage".  

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4307
    edited March 2015
    I am accumulating quite a few pm's and could do with archiving them to my computer.

Anyone any ideas whether its possible?

Ta
  • brownovichbrownovich Frets: 417
    So for some reason I can't view the Classifieds when i'm logged in to my account? Which is a bit of a problem as I have something for sale.

This is both on iPhone and laptop.

Anyone got any suggestions?

@brownovich - that'll be because you've been temporarily banned from the Classifieds for breaching the rules.  Any ads that you had listed have also been removed from view.  You should have been PM'd by @Emp_Fab to explain this.

Err no i've not had a message? What rules have I breached?
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Did you read the rules @brownovich ?

Yes I have! And I haven't deliberately broken any, but if I have I would like to know how and what I can do to correct it! But no one has told me anything
    Yes I have! And I haven't deliberately broken any, but if I have I would like to know how and what I can do to correct it! But no one has told me anything
    Taking a quick look - I'd say deletion of content (price) for stuff that you've sold (amp head).
    OK, that's fine. I was amending the ad to make it clear that the head had sold but the cab is still available, must've deleted the price for the head in doing so.

More than happy to amend this, but I need to be told about it and given access before I can do that.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24535
    edited March 2015
    @TTony  Er... no....  I should not have PMd anyone.  The whole point of the new system was to avoid the hassle of having to contact every member who breaks the rules - of which there were becoming an increasing number.  Remember ?

Classified posts that break the rules are deleted with no further work.  Posters who delete prices from sold items are barred from the classifieds for two weeks and their threads moved to the QClassifieds section for the duration.

As always, all modmin interventions are viewable in the interventions thread here:- http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/7269/admin-mod-interventions#latest

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    edited March 2015
    @Emp_Fab ;

I'm too nice - I just send a PM to inform someone (ie no discussion).

Else they don't know its been done, don't know why, and don't change behaviours ...
    Might I suggest the reason and increasing number of people "break the rules" is because regardless of the significance of them, we don't memorize the rules nor read them before amending every single post we make! There is a massive difference between someone dropping the ball with a post and someone blatently disregarding the rules. If you were to ban every member who deleted the title of their ad and replaced with "SOLD" or "GONE" you wouldn't have many active members.

I am an honest seller who's made a point of trying to make his post clear and transparent for anyone looking at it. And the result of an honest oversight and formatting issue is that my ad gets pulled and I get barred for 2 weeks? I want to contribute to the forums in a positive way. You don't need to treat me like a naughty child because I haven't got the time/will to memorize every single one of your rules to the letter so that I can recite them from memory. I've always operated within the spirit of the rules, making sure that i've included all relevant detail and responded to replies in a quick and professional manner.

Do you think a 2 week ban will change the way I post? NO! If I wanted to misrepresent or disobey the rules I'd open a new account. I don't want to though. I'd much rather UNDERSTAND the issue and improve the way I post so I can avoid this issue in future. So instead of a 30 second message to say "please include the price of any item even if it's sold" this has turned into a much bigger saga.

I absolutely agree that a forum such as this is dependent on the rules and everyone respecting them. But this ISN'T the best course of action for improving the quality of posts.
    Incidentally, please see point 8 of the Admin/Mod Interventions thread.

"The poster will be involved in that discussion via PMs, and will be told (also via PM) of the decision."

Also point number 12.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24535
    Well, I think it's fair to say you've been informed now. In future, I will PM transgressors.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26916
    OK, to reply to some of your points...

- Rules 8 and 12 are relating to actual bans - ie being prevented from accessing the entire site, not just blocked from individual areas.

- If you create a second account, you will be permanently banned with no possibility of being allowed back.

- It's not a case of memorising every one of the rules; we've gone out of our way to make ourselves clear, and there's very little else we can do to get the message through to people. In your case, you signed up specifically to use the classifieds; I would have thought that you'd have paid special attention to the rules regarding the classifieds when you read them as prompted to when you signed up.

- The reason we implemented this rule change is that it's become a massive overhead for us to ensure people behave according to the rules of the classifieds on this specific rule. Up to now we've PM'd the offender, gone through all their posts to restore content, given them a second (and sometimes third) chance etc - PM warnings simply didn't do the job, and we were repeatedly doing the same thing over and over. We have real lives, and this was turning into a full-time job. Just keeping track of who's been warned and who hasn't with well over a thousand posts a day is an exercise in futility; that's why we decided to make it absolutely crystal clear and operate a bar-from-the-classifieds thing. Let's face it...once that's happened, you'll either remember it for good or you'll say "fuck you" and carry on regardless of what we say, which will result in a permanent ban from the classifieds; either way, the problem becomes more manageable for us and so we can support our law-abiding members better.

We really did try it your way. It simply didn't work.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom