Vanilla Newbs' How-To

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24596
    Ps.. I'll have to try that "I don't have time to memorise all the rules" thing when I next get stopped by a traffic cop. I'll let you know how it pans out.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27842
    Emp_Fab said:
    when I next get stopped by a traffic cop

I'll watch out for your update tomorrow

;)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1327
    Any chance of a better functioning search function?

The advanced search thing doesn't seem to let me search for posts by only a specific user.

Reason I ask is that I was trying to track down the name of a guitar vendor selling old electrics, and I recall posting a question about some random seventies thing, so find the post find the name.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12992
    @empfab @digitalscream

The classified rules do not reflect your new moderation policy.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/36182/the-rules-and-help-for-the-classifieds#latest

No mention of sin bins (only the vague threat of "penalties") , and the only thing that states that posts get an insta delete is breaking the 48h bump rule.

A bit harsh to get annoyed at people for not reading the rules when the rules themselves are unclear... :-D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brownovichbrownovich Frets: 417
    And that's fair enough but my main point is that I was completely unaware that I had made an error! Initially I thought there was a technical issue with my account and it wasn't until I came on here and asked that I was told of the problem! Therefore it's entirely possible I could've come back in a couple of weeks and never even realised their was a problem and just carried on, oblivious to the fact Id made an error! Therefore What's the point in the ban? I understand that this must be a constant pain in the arse for the moderators, but it's a classifieds forum. Moderating it IS gonna be a pain in the arse and people need guidance and pulling into line. Incidentally you wouldn't be expected to have memorised the Highway Code/traffic laws. The average motorist is not expected to be a legal expert, instead expected to drive in a responsible and controlled manner, observing all the signposted instructions. If you should commit a minor traffic offence due to lack of detailed knowledge of the law then in reality in many situations a genuine error would often be handled by "words of advice". They COULD give you a ticket or arrest you depending on the offence but ultimately that's a judgement call, based on the situation. Thats called good policing. Heading out FPNs left right and centre regardless of circumstances isn't good policing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4315
    Would it be possible to set up an autoresponse to the sin binning? So the mods dont need to do anything else. Indeed maybe it would be possible to have the autoresponse set to link to the post in the Interventions thread?
  • FazerFazer Frets: 468
    (dont know if the right thread to ask in, but ...)
    using thehttp://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussions link, does it automatically show all threads for topics that are not hidden?
    i just unhid SC and its not showing up with that link - its listed down the left side as a category, but not the threads with all the others
  • topomortotopomorto Frets: 68

Is there a trick to getting the @whoever messages to work? For example, not being an idiot?

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6406
    topomorto said:

Is there a trick to getting the @whoever messages to work? For example, not being an idiot?

@topomorto ....

Nope

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback

@Jalapeno

did that work?

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6406
    Yup ! :)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Aha, thanks :) I think I was overthinking it (= my kind of idiocy) 'cos once or twice the '@someone' bit got underlined when I was typing. Probably I was missing a space and making it look like an email address... .
  • I would add the section for searching or change forum a bit.
    At this moment it seems that more options in search box just show a few options. It is hard to find anything useful IMO, for example when I am looking for some gear in classifeds section.
    Now I think - unless I am wrong, I have to click on "adv_search" which is visible when results appear. I guess most user might not know about this.