What are you reading at the moment?

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    edited October 2017
    boogieman said:
    A Dark So Deadly by Stuart McBride.

Pretty much one of his Logan McRae novels with similar but different characters,although the odd character from said McRae novels do turn up throughout the book.

Enjoying it so far.
    It's a nice idea, combining some of the McRae characters with the new detective. I enjoyed it. His next one  going to be just about Steele apparently, looking forward to it. I really hope he drops the Ash Henderson series, they're his weakest books IMO. Utterly bleak and brutal with none of his usual black humour to lift the mood occasionally. 
    Ooooo,looking forward to that too @boogieman Fantastic character.

I've read in the past of talk of making a tv series of his books,though obviously nothing has materialised so far.I always saw Siobhan Redman playing a brilliant Steele.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    A year in Provence by Peter Mayle. Memoirs of a chaps first year of living in Provence, even though it was written in 1989 it's the first time I've heard of it! I only found out about Peter Mayle's books after watching the film "a good year". So far a very good read, I will pick up a few more of his books soon (they all centre around France/Provence).
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    edited October 2017
    boogieman said:
    A Dark So Deadly by Stuart McBride.

Pretty much one of his Logan McRae novels with similar but different characters,although the odd character from said McRae novels do turn up throughout the book.

Enjoying it so far.
    It's a nice idea, combining some of the McRae characters with the new detective. I enjoyed it. His next one  going to be just about Steele apparently, looking forward to it. I really hope he drops the Ash Henderson series, they're his weakest books IMO. Utterly bleak and brutal with none of his usual black humour to lift the mood occasionally. 
    Ooooo,looking forward to that too @boogieman Fantastic character.

I've read in the past of talk of making a tv series of his books,though obviously nothing has materialised so far.I always saw Siobhan Redman playing a brilliant Steele.

@breakstuff ;Funny, I've always imagined Steele as having straggly, badly cut blonde hair. ^ She definitely has the quirky look of a Steele though. Surprised they haven't done a tv series tbh, it'd work really well, especially stuff based on the early books. Fingers crossed eh?  ;)
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941

What am I reading at the moment?

This thread

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dale carnegie how to win friends and influence people 
    Do your best to reach your goals )))
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
    getting towards the end of it now so I'm on the lookout for the next book. Ive enjoyed RPO with all the 80s references etc but not that many surprises in it, just a fun story more than anything
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    About to start La Belle Sauvage: The Book of Dust Volume One.

Years ago I read my daughter all the HDM trilogy so looking forward to this. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    edited October 2017

@SteveRobinson ;There's a audio version of this going out on R4 tomorrow afternoon if you're interested. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited October 2017
    Just finished the autobiography of Pete Way.
    I love UFO so this was a no brainer.  Lots of information that's just so interesting about the albums and the way they nearly made it massive in the States.
    F**king 'ell. 
    The book reads well, Pete Way used a really good writer to help him put this together.
    I like the cameos which crop up several times from Michael Schenker, Joe Elliott, and several other names you'd expect.
    And it's obviously more about drink, drugz, naked women, and times with Ozzy and Lemmy than PW's search for a meaningful life. 
    If you're a fan of that era it's a good take on it. 
    Pete Way, "A Fast Ride Out of Here"

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4534
    Daniel Suarez's Freedom the sequel to Daemon. This one is supposed to be even better than the first and the first one was quite good. Computer program taking over the world killing people who have done wrong ie owners of large corporations which have exploited the land or the human race.
    Excellent so far
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    I'm currently midway through Midnight Sun by Jo Nesbo. It's a short novel based around a hitman on the run from his ex-employer. It's a different style to his full novels, following how the hitman came to be, with an almost philosophical look into the main character's mind and how he came to be what he was.
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118

I pre-ordered this month's ago. Arrived yesterday but the missus says I have to wait til my birthday on Tuesday, so excited..... HDM was utterly fantastic
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826

I can't wait to read this. Micturates all over that Chepstow lass, IMO.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited October 2017

Paul_C said:
    I'm getting towards the end of The Atrocity Exhibition - JG Ballard.

It reminds me a little of some of M John Harrison's work so maybe he's a Ballard fan.

Other than that it's odd and occasionally silly and feels very much of it's time, as a lot of Science Fiction seems to.
    I can recommend his other novels of that era - Concrete Island and High Rise in particular.

Which brings to mind something I was thinking about recently. A colleague got her car stuck in the right hand lane going around a busy roundabout, and was telling us about it over Whatsapp, and I was about to make a joke based on the premise of Concrete Island, and then I thought "I can't, no one's read it and they will look at me funny". :(
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    Paul_C said:
    I'm getting towards the end of The Atrocity Exhibition - JG Ballard.

It reminds me a little of some of M John Harrison's work so maybe he's a Ballard fan.

Other than that it's odd and occasionally silly and feels very much of it's time, as a lot of Science Fiction seems to.
    The book of Ballard's I've enjoyed most was The Kindness Of Women, a semi-fictionalised biography. A wonderful book that has a heightened 60's feel to it. He wrote another account, more accurate, later on which wasn't half as good.

I've just picked up Philip Pullman's new book La Belle Sauvage but I have to finish my current read, 1917 Inherit The Blue by Ron Eisele, first.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Currently reading Ghosts of the Tsunami by Richard Lloyd Parry, about the tsunami that hit the north east coast of Japan after the giant earthquake in March 2011. In the west the tsunami is most remembered for the problems it caused at the Fukushima nuclear plant, but Parry's book is about a specific local tragedy within the wider tragedy of everything that happened that day - the death of 74 children at a primary school in Okawa. It's a brilliant book, beautifully written and very hard to read for anything but short periods because it is so wrenching. It sounds weird to 'recommend' a book that will break your heart, but I do.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I read Suggs' autobiography on Saturday. It's alright. A lot of autobiographies take an opportunity to slag people off but not Suggs, he's a lovely man. Well, okay, there's a bit of Oasis acting like knobs. 

On A Good Read on R4 they had A Very English Scandal so just reserved that at the library. The story of the Jeremy Thorpe scandal which is something I half remember from my yoof. 
    Bit of a gap but I eventually got hold of A Very English Scandal, wonderfully written and engaging and a worthwhile read wether you remember the original event or not. Broad political scope from MacMillan to Blair, something of an indictment of the British establishment and quite chilling to think how recent some of the attitudes shown towards homosexuality were. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    I'm about halfway through Weekend Rockstar by @Dave_Vader of this parish. 

Easy and highly enjoyable read. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Ginger Geezer: The Life of Vivian Stanshall 

Hardly got into it but looking forward to a story about a true British eccentric
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Just finished this. Jesus that was long. Mystery-type book set in colonial NZ during the gold-rush times. Pretty good but a massive investment in time.
    Image result for the luminaries

Now reading this:
    Image result for the art of not giving a fuck