What are you reading at the moment?

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    Grunfeld;576321" said:
    A couple of things on the go but I've nearly finished this one:

Andy Weir, "The Martian"

I've not enjoyed a book this much for ages.  I'm savouring it, deliberately dragging it out despite it being a page turner.  I guess it's science fiction but I think only by default of the setting.  Just utterly brilliant so far, no idea how it's going to end.  Super enjoyable read, highly recommended. 
    Reading this at the mo. Very enjoyable.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited April 2015
    I am reading Born to Drum by Tony Barrell.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22635854-born-to-drum

The chapter on attitudes to female drummers is great. Short extract:

One of them, Michèle Drees, a regular at Ronnie Scott’s jazz club, struck a chord when she talked about the phenomenon of “the before and after face.” Often, she said, when she was about to play the drums, she would see facial expressions registering shock or incredulity: this was a woman? Playing the drums? But after she had performed, demonstrating her proficiency on the instrument, these expressions would be replaced by looks of pleasant surprise and appreciation: this woman  really can play! I had seen this expression metamorphosis firsthand when I watched Drees give an impromptu performance at the 2012 London Drum Show. Dozens of men were aghast as she sat behind a kit and laid down some cool jazz grooves, before switching to another kit and pounding out rock beats.
    Mindy Abovitz had her own before-and-after-face story, demonstrating the assumptions that are sometimes made about female drummers before they have even struck a note. “I was going to play a show, opening up for another band,” she said, “and a guy walked up to me before I’d started playing and said, ‘You know, I give drum lessons.’ I was like, ‘Do you?’ And then I sat down on the kit and I played my set—probably harder than normal—and when I got off he was like, ‘Oh, you don’t need drum lessons.’”

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434

Nice easy read.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    Stuart MacBride's latest, The Missing and the Dead. At least he's back to writing Logan McCrae stories again after the last truly dire Ash Henderson effort. Have to say though, this one is nowhere near as good as his previous McCrae books. I hope he gets back to form soon, he can be an astonishingly good writer.

Got Jack Kerouac lined up next.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I have a stack of books to read. I like reading so buy books, friend know I like reading so they buy me books for birthdays and the like... but I don't have time/energy needed for all the studying I'm meant to do in addition to work...

So now I have a backlog of books to read that's large enough I genuinely don't know where to start.

I've got classic books like 1984, Brave New World and Animal Farm, assorted sci-fi, the Game of Thrones books, a pile of technical computey books, a library of books on hacking and penetration testing... I think I could spend a year reading what I have if I ever found the time, and yet I haven't started on it...

Even lunch breaks at work are no good for reading - we get half an hour and half of that is queuing for then eating lunch... 15 minutes barely feels like you're getting started.

And I keep looking at threads like this and thinking "ooh that sounds like a good book I should get it!"
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10273
    Close to the Bone by Stuart Macbride again.Just refreshing my memory before reading his latest one,The Missing And The Dead.

Love his books so much.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    breakstuff;634943" said:
    Close to the Bone by Stuart Macbride again.Just refreshing my memory before reading his latest one,The Missing And The Dead.

Love his books so much.
    I love his stuff too, usually. The latest one is very different though, much slower pace (no spoilers but he's been sent away from Aberdeen to the sticks as a "development opportunity") and the black humour that was such a great feature of his earlier books is not much in evidence. At least it isn't Ash Bloody Henderson and DI Steel is always good for a bit of light entertainment.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    I'm re-reading the revelation space universe books by Alasdair Reynolds at the moment.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10273
    Yeah I noticed the change of location @boogieman and wondered what,if any,effect in would have.
    I didn't mind the Ash Henderson books TBH but I agree,they're not to the same standard as the Logan books.I think we can identify with the characters in the Mcrae books more.They just seem more real with more realistic dialogue,whereas the characters in the Henderson books are a bit more caricature like.
    You're right about DI Steel though.Possibly one of my favourite ever written characters.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Just finished The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan, very good. Now reading Letting Go by Philip Roth.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788
    edited May 2015
    re-reading The Sprouts of Wrath and thinking that I've got to start buying the rest of Robert Rankin's books that I've not read (I own about 15) plus the first three of the Brentford Trilogy - which I leant to someone years ago and never got back :(
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @boogieman What Kerouac are you going to read?

I'm reading Planet Ponzi a book on economics by Mitch Feierstein.

Also thinking of starting on Proust again. But I'm a very lazy reader so my attempt will probably fail again.
    On the Road. ;)
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Nearly through with "Coming Up for Air" by George Orwell, enjoyed it so far. It's a very good account of what life was like way back when.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

Game of Thrones vol I <-- fun

and

Spanish Grammar <-- not fun

play every note as if it were your first
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Neal Stephenson's Baroque cycle - just started book 2 - ruddy marvellous !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22138
    On the go right now:

-Arguably by Christopher Hitchens
    -the entire Doctor Who 'New Adventures' range released by Virgin
    -More Than A Game by John Major

• TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Just finished 'Rivers Of London' by Ben Aaronovitch. It's about a serial killer and has a few spooky twists. Totally awesome :D

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Just finished 'Rivers Of London' by Ben Aaronovitch. It's about a serial killer and has a few spooky twists. Totally awesome :D
    I'm on book 3 at the moment.  Good series so far!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    edited May 2015
    Grunfeld said:
    I'm on book 3 at the moment.  Good series so far!
    Im planning to get the next two over the weekend. I read the first one in one sitting it was that awesome!

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi