What are you reading at the moment?

What's Hot

Comments

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    The godfather, some how I ended up with lots of godfather spin off books.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I am reading a Diana Ross bio.
    When the Supremes got to the UK, the Daily Mail talked about this visit from " three singing negresses". Diana Ross was pretty upset about the use of this term which even US journalists had not used.

I like to be reminded that we have come a long way in 50 years.
    Or have we?

• d8md8m Frets: 2434

Starting this today

• Grunfeld said:
    A couple of things on the go but I've nearly finished this one:

Andy Weir, "The Martian"

I've not enjoyed a book this much for ages.  I'm savouring it, deliberately dragging it out despite it being a page turner.  I guess it's science fiction but I think only by default of the setting.  Just utterly brilliant so far, no idea how it's going to end.  Super enjoyable read, highly recommended. 

I made a note to check The Martian out after reading your comment, then saw that Ridley Scott is making a film based on it. Bought it Monday and finished it today, absolutely brilliant, funny, compelling, terrifying at times and caused me too many late nights as I didn't want to put it down. Looking forward to the film, hope they do it justice. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12407
    Skarloey;652125" said:
    "They Used Dark Forces" by Dennis Wheatley.

What a writer.

Plots with more holes and dubious coincidences in them than you could ever credit.

Research notes copies at length and ad nauseam into endless plot-blocking paragraphs.

A little bit of Satanism and occult thrown in.

But whaddya know? Absolutely compelling.

I grew up watching films based on Dennis Wheatley books, The Devil Rides Out etc. They look really hackneyed now but they scared the crap out of me at the time. I read a few of his books at the time too but they seemed very dated, even 40 odd years ago.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @boogieman

The Devil Rides Out could be remade with CGI, either set in the modern day or as a 30s period piece.

Every bit as good in its way as a good Ian Fleming or Buchan's 39 Steps.

Classic stuff!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7828
    edited June 2015
    currently reading Course of the Heart by M John Harrison - I love the way he writes, I don't always understand what he's written.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23041
    edited June 2015
    Paul_C said:
    currently reading Course of the Heart by M John Harrison - I love the way he writes, I don't always understand what he's written.

I read several of his books about 20 years ago, I enjoyed most of them but I know there was one I really struggled with - it may well have been The Course of the Heart.  But I can't really remember much about it, to be honest!

He reminds me in a way of Michael Moorcock, because he covers such a range from science fiction to quite serious literary stuff.  I like most of Moorcock's books but, again, there are a few I find very hard work.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12413
    lloyd said:
    The Autobiography of a Supertramp- W H Davies.

Great read so far, similar to Orwells Down and Out journal. If you're a history buff or even if you're not I'd recommend it.
    I've got that, chazzer shop buy, not read it yet though.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    lloyd said:
    The Autobiography of a Supertramp- W H Davies.

Great read so far, similar to Orwells Down and Out journal. If you're a history buff or even if you're not I'd recommend it.
    I've got that, chazzer shop buy, not read it yet though.
    Was good start to finish, glamourises it a bit, which is fine. Would read again.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    Just finished Jo Nesbo's "The Son" and am starting in on a Val McDermid's "The Retribution". I also just read the latest instalment in The Walking Dead series (142).
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited June 2015

I'm about to start on this :

In silico exploration of the fructose-6-phosphate phosphorylation step in glycolysis: genomic evidence of the coexistence of an atypical ATP-dependent along with a PPi-dependent phosphofructokinase in Propionibacterium freudenreichii subsp. shermanii.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15507000?dopt=Abstract&holding=f1000,f1000m,isrctn

• SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    I made a promise to my daughter to read any book she recommends, so currently on Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs, previously it was the Maze Runner series and Neil Gaiman's Ocean at the end of the lane.

I'm starting to miss grown up books.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23041
    edited June 2015
    Sarge said:
    I made a promise to my daughter to read any book she recommends, so currently on Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs, previously it was the Maze Runner series and Neil Gaiman's Ocean at the end of the lane.

I'm starting to miss grown up books.
    It must've been worse when you were reading the Little Misses.

Actually I sometimes think it would be quite interesting to go back and re-read Roald Dahl, the Moomins, The Wind in the Willows, Stig of the Dump etc.  Even Enid Blyton.  If only there were more hours in the day....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    Mr men! Please don't remind me.
    Moomin papa at Sea, now that's a good book!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9732
    Jet: Frank Whittle and the Invention of the Jet Engine by John Golley. Excellent stuff, and amazing the obstacles put in his way by certain Air Ministry high-ups, companies with a vested interest in piston engines, etc. Seems that with better backing the UK could have had decent jet aircraft perhaps six years earlier than they did. Great read.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8750
    The Twang Dynasty by Deke Leonard. All guitarists should read this book
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    The Most Dangerous Enemy- Stephen Bungay.
    Probably the definitive account of the Battle of Britain and dispels a good many myths.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9732
    Moaning at Midnight: The Life and Times of Howlin' Wolf. Not particularly well written in that the author appears to have a limited number of adjectives and sentence constructions at his disposal. However, still a very interesting read.

Also, if you have any romantic notions of what life was like for black bluesmen (or black anybody else for that matter) in the southern states this book will soon set you straight.

Recommended.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Finished "Exoskeleton" by Shane Stadler today, fantastic story can't wait for the follow up.