What are you reading at the moment?

What's Hot

Comments

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    edited July 2015
    Finally got around to hunting down a used copy of Stephen King's The Stand, and I'm currently reading it all over again for the first time in about 25 or 30 years.  Had to find a first edition with the original '80s setting, rather than the updated version transplanted to the '90s with hundreds of pages of extra material added in...bloody expanded editions, my arse.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Portrait of a Lady by Henry James....only because it was referenced (several times) in Letting Go by Philip Roth which I've just finished. I've read several of Roth's novels...thin on plot, heavy on analysing the human condition...like 'em a lot. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    jellyroll said:
    Portrait of a Lady by Henry James....only because it was referenced (several times) in Letting Go by Philip Roth which I've just finished. I've read several of Roth's novels...thin on plot, heavy on analysing the human condition...like 'em a lot. 
    Yes, I still suffer occasionally from Portnoy's Complaint....
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Nitefly said:
    jellyroll said:
    Yes, I still suffer occasionally from Portnoy's Complaint....
    Ba boom! Actually, I haven't read it, despite it being probably his most infamous work. 
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Just started this:

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4270
    Just finished the First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Brilliant !! Now bought a few of his standalone novels to see if they are as good.

Might read Magician (Raymond E Feist) in between,  as somehow missed that one over the years.

Just hoping it is better than 'Magicians' (Lev Grossman), as I thought that was a bit rubbish...
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Just bought my books for my upcoming holiday:

I'm With The Band-Pamela Des Barres
    The Heroin Diaries-Nikki Sixx

And a couple recommended in this thread:

Post Office-Charles Bukowski
    More Than This-Patrick Ness

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9713
    Just started Rock Stars Stole My Life by Mark Ellen. Very readable and funny (though I've only read three chapters at the mo).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    Roland;684410" said:
    The Twang Dynasty by Deke Leonard. All guitarists should read this book
    Correct, great book. Deke's out touring soon with George Jones' band Son of Man too. Deke is not the player he used to be but he's a great character and a superb writer.

Currently reading CJ Sansom's Lamentation, the latest Shardlake book. Not bad, bit slow though.
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401
    ''Becoming the Ice man'' by Wim hof and Justin Rosales
     I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Amazon's just reminded me:

Burmese Days-George Orwell

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    HAL9000 said:
    Just started Rock Stars Stole My Life by Mark Ellen. Very readable and funny (though I've only read three chapters at the mo).
    That looks  like a good read.

I've got 5 hours of train journeys lined up Friday so Ill get that for the journey :)

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23012
    boogieman said:

Currently reading CJ Sansom's Lamentation, the latest Shardlake book. Not bad, bit slow though.

I like the Shardlake books, but I'm two or three behind and I honestly haven't a clue which was the last one I read.

I'm still slowly working my way through the complete works of J Sheridan Le Fanu.  He was a lot more prolific than I realised...

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Thomas Hardy's poems. There are lots of them so I go through the book picking out stuff at random. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    Philly_Q;720616" said:
    boogieman said:

I like the Shardlake books, but I'm two or three behind and I honestly haven't a clue which was the last one I read.
    He's a good writer, but the earlier ones are definitely better IMO. Almost as if he's writing by numbers with the latest one: I'm 120 pages in and not much has happened yet.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6197
    tFB Trader
    I'm listening to a game of thrones on audible. It's a bit creepy if I'm honest. Do enjoy the general story but the incest etc is a bit much especially in Roy datrice dulcet tones.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23012
    thorpy6 said:
    I'm listening to a game of thrones on audible. It's a bit creepy if I'm honest. Do enjoy the general story but the incest etc is a bit much especially in Roy datrice dulcet tones.

Gosh, I thought Roy Dotrice had died years ago!  I've never listened to an audio book but that sounds interesting.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Good news, Bad news by David Wolstencroft.

Spy thriller which is bloody brilliant !

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    edited July 2015
    Just started The Way of the Cross (The Cathar Wars) by Rob Lange. Visited the area recently and I'm interested in its gruesome past.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    Leaf Fielding, "To Live Outside the Law"

Pretty cool.  The story of the Operation Julie drugs bust on a massive LSD factory and the supply chain.  Just from a personal point of view I remember the pre-Julie acid that presumably must've come from this place was incredible.  After Julie it was so shit that I didn't bother any more.  But that aside, it's an interesting story from someone who was at the centre of it.