Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Black Friday bargains. What are you looking to get this year?

What's Hot
DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
edited November 2016 in Off Topic
It's that time of year again. I don't get involved in the bumrush to my local asda to get a 46inch alba tv for £50 or anything like that....But I do shop online and pick up a few bargains.

Namely aftershave for the following year and a few bluray boxsets. Besides those for this year,  I'm looking to get 

A dash cam, maybe a new watch and a fitness monitoring watch. So what do you have in mind?.....

And yes I am that bored. Ive just spent the last hour looking at musky perfumes.
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    DrJazzTap said:
    It's that time of year again. I don't get involved in the bumrush to my local asda to get a 46inch alba tv for £50 or anything like that....But I do shop online and pick up a few bargains.

Namely aftershave for the following year and a few bluray boxsets. Besides those for this year,  I'm looking to get 

A dash cam, maybe a new watch and a fitness monitoring watch. So what do you have in mind?.....

And yes I am that bored. Ive just spent the last hour looking at musky perfumes.
    How do you order perfumes online? Did you get one of those 46inch scratch and sniff monitors for your computer last year? 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2016/11/ao-and-currys-slammed-by-which-for-deceptive-black-friday-tactics/

Might be useful to check that any bargains you find this year  are actually bargains
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2468
    Fitness monitoring watch is a good call actually, might have a look at something like that (a Garmin one with GPS, rather than a Fitbit type one which I find pointless).

I'm looking for a road bike. I've my eye on 3, and it'll be whichever one I get the better deal on (RRPs are £1200, £1500 and £1800 respectively, I'm hoping for £700, £850 and £950 when they go on sale). I've tried them out in person so I know the frame sizing is right.
    I'm also looking for some decent bike lights. CRC had deals on Lezyne lights, but I hate the design of the rear light, I want something that clips onto a saddlebag.

Last year I got some great deals on the 2015 Gibsons (bought a Junior for my brother at £250 I think, and got a Special DC for £280 for myself. Both are great guitars.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • Myranda said:
    http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2016/11/ao-and-currys-slammed-by-which-for-deceptive-black-friday-tactics/

Might be useful to check that any bargains you find this year  are actually bargains

Wisdom here. 

I'm hoping to find a solid state hard drive for the laptop, but I'm not expecting it. 

Other than that, gifts for people. I'd like a blackrapid strap, but not exactly desperate. 

Of course, I'll have a punt for an xbox one s, but again, not desperate. Or maybe a new moka pot? Gawd knows if anything worthwhile will pop up. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    Hertz32 said:
    DrJazzTap said:

How do you order perfumes online? Did you get one of those 46inch scratch and sniff monitors for your computer last year? 
    ah well those aren't for me. :) i have a rough idea what fragrances my girlfriend wears. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2468
    And as @Myranda has alluded to, the most important thing with Black Friday shopping is to not get too caught up in the hype. Take a minute and think "is this objectively a good deal" rather than "It's Black Friday, if I don't buy it now I'll never get as good a deal ever again".
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Myranda said:

will do. I mainly go for just boxsets.
    strtdv said:
    And as @Myranda has alluded to, the most important thing with Black Friday shopping is to not get too caught up in the hype. Take a minute and think "is this objectively a good deal" rather than "It's Black Friday, if I don't buy it now I'll never get as good a deal ever again".
    oh yes definitely. I have been looking through Amazon prime this week and the vast majority is crap. I bought a kurosawa samurai bluray set last year for £13, same with a preminger set. But a £13 umbrella "reduced" from £30 isn't going to sway me. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23128
    I just look at the Blu-rays on Amazon... and there's never much to get excited about.  I don't think I got anything last year.
    edited November 2016
    Philly_Q said:
    I just look at the Blu-rays on Amazon... and there's never much to get excited about.  I don't think I got anything last year.
    I'm something of a compulsive DVD and bluray hoarder ... so between that, Amazon, Youtube and Netflix I'm finding it very hard to find new films to buy/watch so lots of deals look rubbish to me
  • Aren't Blurays or DVDs only like £15 anyway so even half price isn't really going to look like a huge deal? Though I'm not really a film or TV person so I really resent paying more than a fiver for stuff that I'll probably only watch once (unless  fall aslepp, in which case less than once).

I might keep an eye open for an internal SSD as my laptop is frustratingly awful speed-wise since Windows 10, if there are any guitar things going on obviously i'd keep an eye on that as well, maybe if an A4 size screen tablet if its an incredible deal so I can use it for my piano sheet music.

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Myranda said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I'm something of a compulsive DVD and bluray hoarder ... so between that, Amazon, Youtube and Netflix I'm finding it very hard to find new films to buy/watch so lots of deals look rubbish to me
    I have to confess. I don't buy as many as I used to. I tend to go to the cinema far more these days. and I haven't really seen any sets that have drawn me in. I was going to get the Black list season 1--3 on bluray. that's currently £40 on bluray. But then I could go to cex trade in some old films and it for under £20. 
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited November 2016
    Not a lot really. There isn't really anything I need. I could do with a cheap laptop (sub £200) for one of my kids, and maybe a camera for the wife (all for Xmas) but I don't expect to find much on the sales really.

A fitness band would be good (with GPS), but I am kind of half waiting the next generation which do chemical analysis of your sweat. Can't be *that* far away..
    Got more than 20 I've yet to watch so there's no need to rush to CEX for now, but good deals seem harder and harder to find - nothing I spotted in the Amazon blackfriday deals stood out
  • A lot of these sales are very stingy. 10% to 20% off is nothing to get excited about in my opinion. 30% or more might stir my interest, 50% and Im definitely getting more interested. But don't waste my time with 10%.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Nothing.

If there is a Gibson CS7 50s Style Historic for £1399 I will chew nervously on my bottom lip for exactly 3 minutes.
    And then pass.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23128
    Myranda said:
    Philly_Q said:
    @Myranda ; I don't have access to any online/streaming film channels but I do have thousands of DVDs and Blu-rays - there's still always a long "wanted" list though!  If they ever had any major reductions on Criterion Collection titles I'd spend a fortune.
  • Myranda said:

Yep. Do your research. If it looks too good to be true it probably is.

I was looking at watches on amazon yesterday and I spotted a gold one reduced by about 85% from £1300 to just £200. Looked like an amazing deal, but a quick look at the reviews showed what a poor quality product it really was and that the original RRP was bogus.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6172
    It tends to be a good time to pick up DAW plugins.  You can find some real bargains on the day.. if past form is anything to go by.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    The proof of the amazon black friday pudding is in the http://camelcamelcamel.com/

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom