Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Wanted: The impossible?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
edited November 2016 in FX
I'm after a pedal that will really drive my clean sound without it breaking up, I have a RYRA Klone and a J Rockett Lenny that do a great job but I can't help thinking there is something more out there that will push my clean channel but I don't want it to break up/get dirty. Is there such a pedal or am I chasing the impossible? So W.H.Y? Do you have the pot of gold that I'm seeking?
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    I just sold my micro amp but there's loads out there
  • Micro amp is a good shout, or the alembic stratoblaster boost does a similar job (you have to get that through a DIY build as it's only usually sold as an onboard preamp for strats)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28370
    Might be worth clarifying what you mean by pushing the clean channel - are you just after a volume boost?

Also what's the amp? If you've not got much clean headroom in the amp then it may not be possible with a boost, and a switchable cut might work better.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Graphic eq
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 453
    edited November 2016
    Got a bob Burt clean boost - absolutely perfect for that
    see review on here
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/83373/bob-burt-clean-boost#latest
    Raved about by Tonequest report
    selling my extra one here
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/82999/fs-vahlbruch-skreddy-ernie-keeley-bob-burt-clean-boost-price-drop#latest

• GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    Effectrode Fire Bottle. Utterly stunning

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Get a compressor like an SP or a Wampler. Plenty of level to boost the volume but keeps things clean and dynamic. Also depends on how much headroom your clean channel has. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader
    I'm selling this boost which is clean, the gain control adds a small amount of grit only further round. Earlier on it seems to add harmonics I guess, it makes the clean sound more lively & interesting, pop out more etc as well as add volume. Just makes it more betterer...
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    Durham Sex drive
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I watched that Peter Frampton rug rundown, I've never seen so much expensive gear. He still had an mxr micro boost though! 
    I'm a bit unconvinced by clean boosts, they seem like the answer but you suddenly find you want at least some degree of tone shaping. I meant to buy a Fulltone 2b which was designed as a clean boost but to knock off the harsh top end that often results in.
    You can also get, not quite sure the generic name, those passive boxes that go in your fx loop so your max volume is from the amp and the pedal will give you a cut. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ellangus said:
    Durham Sex drive

This
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited November 2016
    Sporky said:
    Might be worth clarifying what you mean by pushing the clean channel - are you just after a volume boost?

Also what's the amp? If you've not got much clean headroom in the amp then it may not be possible with a boost, and a switchable cut might work better.
    The amp is a Laney Lionheart L20H it has a great clean channel. 

Its hard to describe the sound in my head, creamy may be the word haha. I'm sure it's a lightly driven sound not a volume boost. I've tried my Peacekeeper but it doesn't get the sound I'm chasing, it might be a case of selling everything and buying a Fender haha.

Gassage said:
    Effectrode Fire Bottle. Utterly stunning
     I sold my Fire Bottle, I think that may have been a mistake.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3471
    edited November 2016
    @zepp76 what compressor are you using mate? When I borrowed your Power Booster, it gave me that sort of stuff in spades, I loved it for that exact purpose. 

Also, this is worth trying, Bjorn uses the second channel on the Laney with edge of breakup (without adding grit) and a tonne of volume, add a compressor and you're in Shine On territory, as creamy as you like. 

Between the amp, power booster and the RYRA (and your compressor) I honestly think you have it already mate :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • EP booster. It can certainly be set in the manner that you're looking for to add a certain 'something' to the tone without overdriving. Obviously if you dime it, you get what you ask for!!
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    I know its not all boutique but have you tried the full size TC Spark Booster? No Lionheart but I have a Laney VC15 and also love its clean channel and for ages used a TS and a FET based pedal. Got a Spark as always wanted to try one - it really brings it to life, its the amp sound just better. Plus you can still add a bit of grit you want, but theres loads of unaltered volume on tap gain free. I thought I had a transparent sound from my other pedals until I compared the spark

edited November 2016
    @zepp76 what compressor are you using mate? When I borrowed your Power Booster, it gave me that sort of stuff in spades, I loved it for that exact purpose. 

Also, this is worth trying, Bjorn uses the second channel on the Laney with edge of breakup (without adding grit) and a tonne of volume, add a compressor and you're in Shine On territory, as creamy as you like. 

Between the amp, power booster and the RYRA (and your compressor) I honestly think you have it already mate :-)
    @Jonathanthomas83 ;;Thanks for that mate, I haven't really thought of using the power booster for anything other than boosting my Rams Head Muff. I'll swap out the Lenny for the Booster and see how it fairs with the RYRA, unless I stack all three haha! At the moment I use a Whirlwind Red Box compressor which is a clone of the MXR '76 Dyna comp, I shouldn't have sold my Suhr Koji, that was a great compressor. Maybe I'm over thinking the whole thing, I don't know, I'll keep tweaking and see where it gets me.

Edit: I've moved this to FX for time being so it's not being bumped constantly contravening the sales rules.
  • Xotic RC. It's fantastic.
    edited November 2016
    I've just checked out the Ethos Overdrive on YouTube, man what a pedal! I checked it out after seeing it for sale in @wellsyboy  ad in the classifieds. It's a shame it's well out of my budget though, the clean boost channel is sublime.
  • Graphic eq

Does anyone remember when these were really commonplace on boards? I still miss mine, a ge7, but it hissed too much and this was before I knew it could be modded. 

But yes, a graphic eq would give you all the boost.