NGD PRS Vela

What's Hot
grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
edited November 2016 in Guitar
Got this lovely Frost Green Vela last weekend and found it a real joy to play. I liked it in the shop but im loving it a lot more through my own amp.  The type D singlecoil in the neck has a very unique sound ( to me any way) i've heard others liken it to a mix between a true singlecoil and a P90 but thats not really true, its more like the bass strings are like a typical neck humbucker but the treble are sparkly and clear like a tele neck pickup it works great with mild overdrive. The Starla pickup is fantastic too especially with the coil tap, very vintage sounding but works and handles the gain very well, harmonics jump out easily.

very pleased with this purchase and a great companion to my Standard S2 24 i got a few weeks back. I prefer these S2's to the Core models I had, sold the core's bought these still have money left for another if I decide I want/need one.

http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a428/grungebob/030B307E-C032-4470-A32F-415A2CF365DC_zps65rsxjo8.jpg

http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a428/grungebob/AC2BE616-0D71-4C75-8419-DB7B2C0B3AE8_zpsbc20wsly.jpg
0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Have a Wow, thats PRETTY! That's only the second PRS model I've seen where I get a wee tingle of GAS.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    That's lovely. been tempted by the Egyptian gold one
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Nice. It's a PRS I could certainly get on board with.
  • grayngrayn Frets: 891
    Really cool colour. I like those Narrowfield pickups, too. Congrats.
  • I've never played one - but I really love the look of them.

An excellent choice, Sir!
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    edited November 2016
    grayn said:
    Really cool colour. I like those Narrowfield pickups, too. Congrats.
    these arent narrowfields its a new pickup type just for the Vela called a "type D" singlecoil  but they sound sweet
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5447
    The Type-D is based on old DeArmond single coils - the original stuff Gretsch used to use in the 50s before they moved over to Filtertrons etc. PRS has done a pretty decent job with it, IMO. 

Love the colour of that Vela, looks superb. Congrats!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That's beautiful, I've been looking at the Miras and Velas etc and thought them to be a bit dark sounding from demos, but it seems not from your description. Can't fault the quality though I expect from PRS, pure eye candy too these. Enjoy.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    @Bellycaster there's no getting away from the mids of a solid mahogany guitar and neck but there's bags of sparkle available. For reference I'm using a Mesa single rectifier with eq ably noon for the cleans and pushed cleans with a dab of presence. 
  • grungebob said:
    @Bellycaster there's no getting away from the mids of a solid mahogany guitar and neck but there's bags of sparkle available. For reference I'm using a Mesa single rectifier with eq ably noon for the cleans and pushed cleans with a dab of presence. 

Cool stuff, I'd have to play one. Yeah, that's the thing with solid Mahogany I guess. You're loving it though and that's what counts, it's a babe.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7159
    Love my Vela, really well-made guitar and a pretty versatile pickup combination as well. So lightweight, so great for gigging.
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Lovely!    If they had a trem I'd have bought one of the gold ones that are on offer at the moment.
    John_P said:
    Lovely!    If they had a trem I'd have bought one of the gold ones that are on offer at the moment.
    Pft who needs a trem? I know you like your PRS guitars so surely you'd like just one without a trem?
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7159
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    stonevibe said:
    Exactly like that!    They should release it for the public.  

grungebob said:
    John_P said:
    Pft who needs a trem? I know you like your PRS guitars so surely you'd like just one without a trem?
    Tempting but even my main les Paul has a floyd ;-) 

The vela are lovely looking guitsrs though 
    @John_P  I don't if to lol or wiz that 
  • Great GAS, that sure looks pretty. I've been tempted myself by the Vela, looks like a great 'different' guitar especially in PRS circles so would be different enough to my others. Always fancied a Starla though - anyone got both to give a comparison?

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2896
    I'd like a feckle on the Starla ^^^
    The Vela bridge pickup is the same as the Starla i don't think you could go wrong with either. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Looks great. Id love a tremelo version ala Vernon Reids