NGD PRS Vela

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4730
    They are very under-rated and well worth checking out.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2305

I have literally never wanted any PRS I have seen. I've admired a number of them, but never actually wanted one.

But the Vela S2, I do fancy. i like this (sold) example

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.co...-frost-green-metallic-wdeluxe-gig-bag/2176373
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    rze99 said:

I have literally never wanted any PRS I have seen. I've admired a number of them, but never actually wanted one.

But the Vela S2, I do fancy. i like this (sold) example

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.co...-frost-green-metallic-wdeluxe-gig-bag/2176373
    Yeah that’s the one I had. Not exact one but same colour. Looks really good in the flesh. 
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    I got a Satin Vela from a member of this very establishment about nine months ago and I've played practically nothing-else ever since. I love it!

It hangs well when playing standing-up and sits in your lap perfectly when playing sitting-down. I'm not massively keen on the bridge p/up but it sounds good in both middle positions - and I mostly use the neck anyway (which is awesome), so it's not that much of an issue. The only real problem I have with it is the tone control. It does practically nothing between 10 and 4, then the remaining 99% of the treble disappears between 4 and 3 - and then it does absolutely nothing between 3 and 0 ...which is fun for a sort-of onboard pseudo-Wah, but pretty crap for any tonal subtleties.

I can't imagine that it's an expensive fix though - and even that can't be much of a real issue as I've been having so much fun playing the guitar, I haven't got round to doing anything about its "faults".  B) B) B)  
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    I just sold mine last week to a fellow Fretboard member (don't think he's come forth to mention it yet so I'll leave that to him to do!) and I kind of miss it already, reading this thread.  Black satin one that was extremely comfortable. GAS overcame me and I'm still sitting on these ill-gotten funds as I'm looking at various other things I thought I wanted more but now I'm not so sure any will be quite as fun.
    TLDR - I recommend the Vela to those who've wondered about it but not tried one yet.   
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 228
    I got a Satin Vela from a member of this very establishment about nine months ago and I've played practically nothing-else ever since. I love it!
    Very glad to hear you're enjoying it! I traded your Tele in for a used Suhr Alt T Pro (plus a chunk of cash) which is similiarly loved, so our trade helped us both. Win win!
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

It hangs well when playing standing-up and sits in your lap perfectly when playing sitting-down. I'm not massively keen on the bridge p/up but it sounds good in both middle positions - and I mostly use the neck anyway (which is awesome), so it's not that much of an issue. The only real problem I have with it is the tone control. It does practically nothing between 10 and 4, then the remaining 99% of the treble disappears between 4 and 3 - and then it does absolutely nothing between 3 and 0 ...which is fun for a sort-of onboard pseudo-Wah, but pretty crap for any tonal subtleties.

I can't imagine that it's an expensive fix though - and even that can't be much of a real issue as I've been having so much fun playing the guitar, I haven't got round to doing anything about its "faults".  B) B) B)  

I ended up putting a BKP crawler in the bridge, upgrading the volume pot and jack, and taking the tone out the circuit (just use it as a coil split switch). But I tend to play heavy stuff than the stock Pup could do.

Really like the middle position now.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5447
    Velas are far and away the most interesting model in the PRS lineup at the moment, IMO. Imagination has all but gone out the window in the Core line but it’s nice that the S2 catalogue still has some surprises. 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7160
    Whitecat said:
    Velas are far and away the most interesting model in the PRS lineup at the moment, IMO. Imagination has all but gone out the window in the Core line but it’s nice that the S2 catalogue still has some surprises. 
    DGT? Lol...
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5447
    stonevibe said:
    Whitecat said:
    DGT? Lol...
    Not exactly a recent model...!
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    Whitecat said:
    stonevibe said:
    Whitecat said:
    DGT? Lol...
    Not exactly a recent model...!
    And also just a rehashed McCarty model with a trem and a second volume, now I’ll be fare and say it does have unique ish pickups but nothing akin to the Vela 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7160
    DGT was 2008 and Vela was 2015, so 7 years apart.

Both are new PRS to me as I grew up on Standards and Customs.

Everything else is a blur caused by the '90s...
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway